H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69
Create Post
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69

Looking for fellow marines who stayed in H&MS-17 or 1st MAW Headquarters around 1968/69.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was close.....WERS-17, MWSG-17, 1st MAW, DaNang.....Sept 69-Feb 70.

But I do know the outfit you speak of, somewhat.

Dave

We were in the same compound at the same time!

MWSG-17 and H&MS-17 is the same compound. Both units were in the huts of this compound.

Were you around when the rocket took out our outside movie area?

Bomb dump going off?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well if clean up counts, then yes I was there for that little episode., LMAO.

I thought those picture looked familiar, brother! Especially the chow hall! hehe.

I know I had to slip thought the hole in the fence at the AF compound outdoor flick to watch a movie, with the open beer and all. Damdest thing, every beer you bought, they'd open it, even if you bought a case, LMAO. Hot Shlitz in rusty cans.

Dave

I just dumped a whole bunch of pictures into my 1st MAW alblum. Check it out, you may recognize a few places...

nov.66 to nov.67

I was a cook assigned to H&MS17. I don't run into many people from that outfit, no matter what dates they served. Just thought I'd say hello and Merry Christmas. I was there for christmas of 66. Rained so hard you couldn't see 20 yds. in front of you. Civilian cargo plane crashed into a village just outside the airbase and killed over 100 villagers. A very fouled mouth santa and driver showed up in a jeep, armed to the teeth and soaking wet, with a sack full of gifts. The commanding general of the 1st maw gave pen and pencil sets to every 1st maw member. they were inscribred with christmas 1966, da nang rvn, 1st MAW. I still have mine. semper fidelis, Jerry Clements

I too was there for the Monsoon season. I hooked a ride back to the compound from 1st MAW, they dropped me off on the street in front of the Air Force security squadron. Water was up to street level. I started to walk toward my hut (E-2) but forgot about the ditch. I was soon over my head in water. I swam across the ditch and sloshed my way to the hut and started to dry out... I'm glad we didn't get any incoming because the bunker was filled with water as well.... I used the main gate after that till the monsoon was over.... ;-)

I was in H&MS 17 from Oct 1968 to Oct 1969. Avionics shop.

Oh, and by the way, the bomb dump blowing up would have been hard to miss. I recall
    it was mostly small stuff at first, but then the really big stuff going off after dark, when we had been moved to the Air Force side of the base.

Mike! (Rocket Man) It's me! Big Al!! We lived in hut E-2 Disbursing... How the hell are you!!! I'm living in California now. I tracked down Doug Becksted (Do Right Man).

Oh my God! I never thought anyone would remember me by my real name.

I live in Santa Rosa, about an hour north of San Francisco.

Send me some email at bert@kinyons.com. I'm living in Newark which is in the south San Francisco bay.

I just called Doug (in Eureka) and told him we've found another one!!!

bomb dump

The group bomb dump was hit during an attack on july 15, 1967. As I recall, there were about 50 rounds fired that night, over a period of almost an hour, around 3am..We were ducking down in our bunkers laughing and joking, as most of the rounds passed over us to hit the air force side. It was the last round that hit the bomb dump. The explosion was pretty intense and it stopped all of the laughing and joking. Lots of concussion damage to our huts and locks of rocks rained down on our area but no one was hurt. The mess hall ceiling collapsed onto 1200 lbs. of chicken that was thawing out for that days noon meal. It all had yto be destroyed because of all the junk that fell on it. We ate B-ration chicken that day, boy were the troops ****ed. That was the day before my 20th birthday. semper fidelis, Jerry

I remember the very large mushroom cloud exposions with the white condensation rings blowing outward in the sky. As soon as they passed overhead we were knocked on our butts. You could see the marsh grass lay down and come back up as the concusion traveled over them. When it got to the air field we saw it take down hangers!! The damage all over the area was quite extensive.

Thread Information