H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Kaldya,

This information might help jog some other minds about the incident. The picture project is a massive undertaking and I am glad to know that classes like yours are joining in the search -- we appreciate you very much. -vm

Captain Jones was an explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) officer serving with Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron-17. He was killed, along with CWO-4 W. L. Vick and SSgt J.R. Beck, in southern ICorps, when a 122mm rocket exploded in the tent they were giving a briefing in.

More specifics on Capt. Jones from the "Welcome to the Gia Vuc Website":

30 AUG 68 At 0730 Capt Jones, CWO Vick, and Sgt Beck from the Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 17 Command responded to an urgent request from Special Forces to render safe and recover a 122mm rocket which had impacted within the Special Forces Camp at Ha Thanh, located 25km west of Quang Ngai in Southern I Corps. Capt Jones, CWO Vick, and Sgt Beck arrived at the Special Forces Camp via chopper at 1035. They walked uphill to S-3 Operations, entered operations shack, and were receiving verbal instructions on the location of the dud round, when at 1040 an incoming 122mm made a direct hit on the shack resulting in six KIA, five US, one Vietnamese and five WIA from this single round.

Thank You so much for the information. I greatly appreciate it. I was also wondering if you knew any personal information about Captain Jones, such as what High school he might have attended,a photo of him, any hobbies he had, or any family members names that i might be able to contact.

Thanks Again
    Kaldya

I was at da nang 69-70 mwsg 17 wers 17 4th echelon motor transport. Anybody there then?

I was in mwsg 17 wers 17 motor transport.

wasn't in country but was with HMS 17 1st MAW in iwakune, japan 1971

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by drtalbert View Post
    I was at da nang 69-70 mwsg 17 wers 17 4th echelon motor transport. Anybody there then?

Did you know Joey Balzano or Jack Schaefer ?, they were there from 5-26-69 to 1-28-70 ?
    They were from cleveland,Ohio

We just missed each other!

gkmo- I don't remember the names, but I am an old man now and that was 43 years ago. What was their MOS?

Credits
    Savings
    gkmo- I don't remember the names, but I am an old man now and that was 43 years ago. What was their MOS?
    MT, 5 ton I think 3531 ?

Credits
    Savings
    MT, 5 ton I think 3531 ?

They went to MCBNC in the Mp Bn. for MT until Oct.70 when they got seperated to reserves.

I was a teletype operator in the 1st MAW communicaitons center from Aug 69 to May 69. Friends called me "Bummer" . . . what a name. Spent all my money in Dog Patch . . . always snuck out the main gate next to the highway where the workers came through into the compound everyday. Dog Patch was right across the street.
    I stayed inside the comm center when the bomb dump was going off to keep it up and running. Guess I was too stupid back then to know what I was doing!
    Semper Fi to all you guys.... and welcome home!
    Anybody remember a guy by the name of Bruce Parten from Louisiana I think. He was a teletype operator too. We worked side by side.
    Regards!
    Ron Beaman
    Ft. Worth, TX
    817-***-****
    ronb@dlteam.net

Last edited by ChuckH; 08-26-13 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Please dont put your phone number in an open forum.

served with H&MS-17 dec66 sept67

InComing was always Fun.The Speaker System was always late.AAAAAAaaaaaaaa........There go the lights.........Get in your Bunkers.........a little late also......

After I left,a Hutch was hit -Everyone in it was killed....That's not Fun...I just remembered !

Thread Information