H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    I left MWSG-17 about the 18th of July-to go up hill C-batt-for four and 1/2 days-I was advanced Mountout and also the Corpsman from there was unable to continue his duties up there;so guess who got sent up there?This hill was assulted for three days.Any way the Doctor you speak of -I don't know-I was gone before he appeared-Was he a Flight Sergeon like Dr. Crash Johnson?-So goes Vietnam-a while ago .I see there are now food tours -to North Vietnam.They make stuff with eels and other sea creatures-that most Americans would pass up.I would probably would try their gormet foods.....

Mwsg-17

Hi Doc Wilder,

Dr. Eckert was the Flight Surgeon. He must have arived just after you left.

I think I have some pictures of some of the guys at home. If I can scan them into my computor I will post them.

I had thought of going to Da Nang to see how it has changes or if there is anything left of the compound. I have looked at the area on google earth and it looks like they tore down most of the buildings.

Did you look at the website I posted?

Have a great day

Always good to be back at MWSG-17 with all MY Brothers

Hello HM1 Doc Jones-I did look at the war records-stuff.I don' see anything mentioned about the Dispensary or any Corpsman.A lot of stuff about Fires and Officers and Incoming.How come We-didn't get a shout-out.Petty busy most of the time there.I don't see any Corpsman's names-when it came to blowing up Ordinance -from the Bomb Dump Explosion.One time the Air-Force was going to send in Jets-to bomb us-when We were setting off the 2000 pound shells.They were going to kill us-That was hairy-good thing for our Radio Man-probably saved our lives.This is what I mean by Crazy Times at MWSG-17.By the way It had to be Veterans Day that I ran into Keith Vaughn-not Memorial Day.I was promised HM2 if I extended three months.HM2 Teddy Tucker tried to get me promoted anyway-But It wasn't in the cards.I forgot that Keith Vaughn was an HM2.We All were the best of Friends.Near Death experiences can do that.There were so-many things going on there.Classified and Declassified Info-All the Time-Most of the time on Alert-All of Us working Double time-most of the time.Some stuff never got into our records-kind of Secret -If you know what I mean.Always people coming and going-to and from MWSG-17.Only got about 2 hours of sleep a day there.So this body got a blood disease-because-I was really into it.Never -Ever felt that strong again-Ever.So that was Dr.Johnson's-Flight Surgeon replacement-How was he as a Physician?Probably good-like an Emergency Room Doctor.The Triage area had a lot of supplies.The Dispensary had a bunch of Auto-Claved -Surgical Trays.Different sizes for different emergencies.Th suture kits were small-but the surgical trays were large.At First Med-you really see Horror-first hand;just a blur to me now.Keith and Teddy know what I mean and HM3 Crowell also.I would like Keith and Teddy to be on this site.They could tell you stuff I have forgotten about.Also 95 Emergency Army Hospital-was some how connected to MWSG-17-Ask Teddy about that-they wanted to give him a purple heart there-Strange Politics-he refused it-of cause.Wish I could contact those guys-Great people to know.Very good Doc's.I'll never forget them.So HM1 Jones-just to be redundant-which I am-besides being obsessive-what about HM3 or Hm2-Jeffery Butler-he kind of looked like the mail man on Drew Carey show and or one of the homo-guys on Sarah Silverman's show.Dead Ringer -for that guy.I'm a little worried about him -if you don't know-whom I speak of.If you knew him I know he would have made you laugh a lot-and that's worth knowing him.He is so funny and it just comes naturally to him.That's about it HM1 Jones.I'm so glad to know you-I could have did another year there -if I didn't weaken-Yeah the Vietnamese probably tore MWSG-17 apart.Looked like a large bungalow colony-just waiting for renters......Bye for now-Have a beautiful safe week-At this point I miss the Navy also...I'll be 64 years old in January-still can duck and hit the deck perhaps a little slower now-but fast enough for terrorists and agents that hate the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Noynik View Post
    Looking for fellow marines who stayed in H&MS-17 or 1st MAW Headquarters around 1968/69.
    I was in H&MS-17 from Oct 68 till Dec 69 My name is Edward Smith

Quote Originally Posted by miked23 View Post
    I was in H&MS 17 from Oct 1968 to Oct 1969. Avionics shop.
    Hey Rocketman its Ed Smith from the glassine envelope society Whatssss up ?

Smitty!

Hey Smitty! Of course I remember the Glassine Envelope Society, and I remember you too, in fact I think I have a picture of you in the Avionics section of H&MS 17. I'll look for it as soon as I can (that computer is apart, because I am refinishing the top of my desk, but it'll be back together soon).

It's amazing you remember after all these years. I have connected with a couple of members of the Glassine Envelope Society via this very thread. 'Bert Kinyon (big guy from disbursing), 'Do Right Man' (another guy from disbursing) and last, but far from least - Rauman! (L/Cpl James K Anderson 2352626 of 5352 SW Custer Street, Portland Oregon 98219) Actually he goes by Andy now, and that address is his home address when we were in '17.

So tell me Smitty, what have you been up to all these years? Fill in the details, I am quite interested. By the way, my email is: mike@dolanclan.com

Really good to hear from you, you were a good friend and a funny guy.

Regards,
    Rocketman

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by edsmittay View Post
    Hey Rocketman its Ed Smith from the glassine envelope society Whatssss up ?
    Ed, Are you the "Smitty" I worked with at the disbursing office??

I go by Bert now but back then I was "Al" (short for Albert).

I was there (1st MAW HQ - Communications Center) 1969-70. I downloaded several pictures. Some of my stuff has long since been lost and you had several that were great for me to have. I lived in the stone French barracks. The second bldg down from the E-Club by the water tower...directly behind the side of the mess hall. To get from there to the Comm Center, I walked down the street by the Chapel everyday. My flight was delayed due to the ammo dump being destroyed. By the time we got there, the reception center was a pile of lumber and there were some tables set up on a concrete slab. We couldn't stay there that night so they took us to Camp Ten-shaw (spelling?) a Sea-Bee base near Marble Mountain. We were attacked that night and there we were with no weapons. The next day I was taken to 1st MAW HQ and joined the MWHG-1, MWCS-1, Comm Center Platoon.

As a sad side note: In case you didn't know, DAVBLAY passed away. It was a bit strange to read his comments above.

One night my friend Andy (Rauman) took me to your hootch. I don't remember if it was your rack or not, but Andy put headphones on me & started playing the Beatles song "Number 9". It was the first time I had ever heard that album, and I was stoned at the time. The whole album really blew my mind, especially "Rocky Raccoon". Was that your tape machine?

You might remember Andy - Blond guy with a long mustache. That's how he got the name Rauman - Rau is Vietnamese for mustache. He and I spent some time working together in the wing post office. He was in ordinance and I was Avionics. If I remember correctly, he is the guy who introduced us.
    Hey Mike I had an Aikai real to real in my hooch and had that album on tape it seems to me that we listened that many times Ed Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Noynik View Post
    Ed, Are you the "Smitty" I worked with at the disbursing office??

I go by Bert now but back then I was "Al" (short for Albert).
    No I was in Avionics but I'm sure we crossed pathes

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

avionics shop

I was in H&MS 17 from Oct 1968 to Oct 1969. Avionics shop.
    hey mike. how's your pet fly? it's larry arnold. last time i saw you was in seatle. still alive and kickin cuz i quit being a drunk 20 years ago. live half hour north of detroit 3 sons, 8 grandkids, call me if ya want. 586 612 4336

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    rocketman, it's larry arnold again. i don't know how these forum things work, i stumbled on it by accident, saw your picture. you haven't changed a bit. i remember rauman. you had a pet fly and i think he had a pet flashlight he dragged around on a string. i have lots of slide of you from danang that i took with the camera i bought from you Mamya sekor dtl 1000 i think. you went to japan to get your nikon. i have a picture of all your money laid out on a bed. you set it aside to by the new camera. Is the smitty in the forum the one who called himself mubby, shot himself in the foot in dog patch and was stuck in the brig when the bomb dump blew? i was so drunk for 20 years i aint sure of crap anymore. doesn't even seem like it was me over there i remember some things but a lot of it is just a blur.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was TAD to VMGR-152 for about four months back in 1967 from MABS-12 Ordnance back in Iwaknui, Japan. Flew everynight on the flare ships. I was a Buck Sgt E-5 at that time. Went back to Iwakuni where I was promoted to SSGT. Made PFC first time back in 1955. Had a bunch of good times until my retirement back in Oct 1976 with 22 Years. Made a third trip to RVN in 1970 to Marble Mountain and HML-167 where I was the Ordnance NCOIC until we closed the place down, gave it to the Army who in turn gave it to the RVNs who in turn gave it to the NVA.

Does anyone remember the excitement trying to clear V.C. out of the textile mill off the south end of the runway? This was after "mini Tet" in Feb. '69.

How about being on "Reactionary platoon" when the rockets came in? Jumping out of bed & getting dressed, grabbing your rifle & assembling as fast as possible? Usually the V.C. had an impeccable sense of timing and would inevitably do this on the nights when we were especially tired - or stoned - or drunk.
    I was there with the reactionary platoon out at the textile factory near tet 69--- first it was the tunnels underneath, then we went thru the factory, during that time someone on the other side ? had climbed up into the top part and I remember being outside and taking turns firing thru the window...... later we were in a field in front of the factory, in some kind of a circle with foxholes....... as the light faded the trucks came and picked us up...... had we stayed much longer it could have been bad.......... do you remember the day like that? the capt in charge was a 'mustang' and he had a hard on to get us into some ****........ fortunately, he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by shaferf61 View Post
    I was there with the reactionary platoon out at the textile factory near tet 69--- first it was the tunnels underneath, then we went thru the factory, during that time someone on the other side ? had climbed up into the top part and I remember being outside and taking turns firing thru the window...... later we were in a field in front of the factory, in some kind of a circle with foxholes....... as the light faded the trucks came and picked us up...... had we stayed much longer it could have been bad.......... do you remember the day like that? the capt in charge was a 'mustang' and he had a hard on to get us into some ****........ fortunately, he failed.
    it seemed I spent most of my time in that damn reactionary platoon.... I was in Group Supply from 20 sep 68- 8 oct 69------ and yes I remember the rockets and then we had to hustle on down to the React stuff.....

Thread Information