Cholesterol issues
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cholesterol issues

Okay, so just when I thought I was going to be able to enlist; more issues.

Turns out I have extremely high cholesterol that I inherited from my mom. I have searched and could not find for sure if this was disqualifying or not, does anyone know? Can I get a waiver?

I am very healthy, 6' and 155 lbs is not fat at all. My grandma has a cholesterol level of like 400 and she is still alive and kicking at age 85. If this keeps me out I will be ****ed.

I will be calling my recruiter tomorrow, just wondered if you guys knew anything more.

Thanks

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i missed it how many issues do you have, the short version

lol... my only other possibly disqualifying issue (that I know of) was depression a while ago. Currently, I am waiting the required year after the end of medication. I got a doc's note for that though, so that should be fine....

maybe I should just become a vegan....

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    so how do you know you have high cholesterol?

Eat clean cooked foods, such as grilled foods and fresh foods. No McD's and such. This should lower cholesterol, also just look at what you eat. Food labels are required by the FDA to list cholesterol levels of food, don't eat things with a lot of it.

You need to eat more fruits and veggys,fish for the omega3's,whole grain cereals(oats),rice instead of spuds,broiled meat not fried in oil...........I should practice what I preach......

did a blood test for a school-required physical exam. my doc's eyes nearly fell out of his head when he saw it....

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    **** boy, lay off the micky d's and don't tell your recruiter

Thumbs up Cholesteral

Stay off the fatty foods, and other unhealthy crap. Eat alot of stuff high in fiber. My dad who is a Marine as well has high cholesterol. He eats alot of oatmeal, cheerios, and other things high in fiber, it has seemed to help him. Just do these things, and as another Marine said don't tell your recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    There you go, advice!

Don't tell the recruiter.

Hmmm, maybe the Recruiters, DI's and LT's that hang around SD & PI will glaze over this post.

Tell me, how do you spell f-r-a-u-d-u-l-e-n-t - e-n-l-i-s-t-m-e-n-t?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    its not fraudulent if you tell them you didnt know, well i guess that does sound fraudulent but how are they going to prove otherwise, it depends on how bad you want it, if you really want it you'll shut that hole under your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post
    There you go, advice!

Don't tell the recruiter.

Hmmm, maybe the Recruiters, DI's and LT's that hang around SD & PI will glaze over this post.

Tell me, how do you spell f-r-a-u-d-u-l-e-n-t - e-n-l-i-s-t-m-e-n-t?
    You got that right brother.

Try the 30 day challenge from that cheerios commercial to lower the cholesterol those people always seem happy and healthy might help with the depression as well.

So should I tell my recruiter or not? I am kind of getting mixed signals. I lean more to telling him. Plus, aren't MREs and other military foods generally not the kinds of things that would help me keep my cholesterol down. And wouldn't they test sometime during my service? So I would just get caught right?

Even if I do eat super healthy right now, isn't that an admission that I have a problem?
    I just dont know what to do...

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    There are some very famous warriors who fraudulently enlisted in the military (see: Henry Hulbert, USMC, MOH recipient & 3 Silver Stars) so if your burning desire is to be a Marine, get it done. You've got one life to live and if you know you can do the military thing without a problem, then do it. If you think it is actually going to be a problem, then tell your recruiter. It's sort of like ancient Sparta... The warriors were denied food and forced to steal, lie, and cheat in order to get by. You need to improvise, adapt, and most importantly, overcome your situation if you want it bad enough.

Thread Information