Can 92 Day Reservist Lat Move?
Create Post

Can 92 Day Reservist Lat Move?

I'm a 92 day reservist fresh out of boot camp, I haven't been to MOS school or MCT yet, and my contract says my MOS is going to be 0621 field radio operator. Since I have been drilling with my unit I have gotten a little OJT and I have a chance to see what this job is really like, and I regret to say, though it is a very necessary MOS, I was expecting to actually be the guy with the man pack radio on his back out there with the grunts, not back at the comm shop listening in to what the grunts are saying out in the field.

What I'm wondering is that since the Marine Corps hasn't spent money on my MOS training yet, if I could do a lateral move to the 0300 field. I would even be willing to go sign a DD 368 and go active duty if that would get me into the infantry. I already asked the career planner at my unit, and he didn't know, he said they might be a waiver for it but he hadn't ever heard of anyone doing that before. Any advice or help with this is greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi!

Don't take my word for it but if it sounds easy and makes sense forget about it

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdogbb555 View Post
    I'm a 92 day reservist fresh out of boot camp, I haven't been to MOS school or MCT yet, and my contract says my MOS is going to be 0621 field radio operator. Since I have been drilling with my unit I have gotten a little OJT and I have a chance to see what this job is really like, and I regret to say, though it is a very necessary MOS, I was expecting to actually be the guy with the man pack radio on his back out there with the grunts, not back at the comm shop listening in to what the grunts are saying out in the field.

What I'm wondering is that since the Marine Corps hasn't spent money on my MOS training yet, if I could do a lateral move to the 0300 field. I would even be willing to go sign a DD 368 and go active duty if that would get me into the infantry. I already asked the career planner at my unit, and he didn't know, he said they might be a waiver for it but he hadn't ever heard of anyone doing that before. Any advice or help with this is greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi!
    Your recruiter should have been able to answer that question (if you bothered asking specifically). We carry our own ****, and have a few comm guys at company and even more at higher echelons. Good luck to you, but most likely you will have to be the best damn comm guy you can and try for a lat move later.

The most important question here is what unit are you with. If you are with a grunt unit, then it could be possible to switch MOS. If not, you would have to change units because your units T/O dictates what MOS's are assigned to the unit. For example, my Engineer Company rates 1341, 1345, 3521, 3531, 3533, 1141, & 1142 plus a few others that I can't get off the top of my head. If you have any other MOS you must lat move to stay in the unit.

The problem here is that if you are not in a grunt company by lat moving and transferring you create a hole in your company's T/O, something they probably don't want. Also, if you received any enlistment bonuses tied to your MOS or unit, you would lose those or if already payed have to repay them.

Even if you are with a grunt company there is no guarentee that there is room in the T/O for another 03.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you are a "fresh out of bootcamp, no MOS school" Marine. Even with our drivers and mechs that come out of school we don't just hand them a truck and say go play in the mud. We take our time and make sure that they truely know what they are doing and that they can handle both their MOS and being a Marine.

Personally, I would give it a little time. Absorb as much info as you can in the comm shack and show your NCOs that you can handle the equipment and then request to go out in the field with a radio on your back. If anything else this will put you ahead of your classmates when you head to the formal school.

Getting it done before you hit 29 Palms for MOS school is important. Of course, talking to the people at your unit may make it possible for you to be a comm guy that goes out with the grunts. When I was drilling after I left active duty I was always with the TOW guys, never sitting back in a comm shack, tent, or anything of the sort.

If the career jammer doesn't know how to help, move up the chain. Request mast, talk to the CO, see where it goes from there.

Thread Information