Principi Decries Myth of Budget "Slash"

WASHINGTON (April 24, 2003) - The statement below was issued today
    by Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony J. Principi:

One of the byproducts of the Internet Age is the blinding speed with
    which rumor becomes accepted "fact" among those willing to believe. More
    than a century ago, a wise man wrote, "A lie can get halfway around the
    world before the truth gets its boots on." Today, lies can rocket around
    the world before the truth can even find its socks. Only prompt
    intervention can squelch rumors before they are widely accepted as truth.

Here's a rumor that desperately needs squelching -- On the eve of
    our battle to liberate the Iraqi people, Congress slashed funding to the
    Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the organization I am privileged to
    lead. This rumor has the potential to frighten our nation's America's
    veterans, and to undermine morale among our brave troops in the field.

The rumor has already surfaced on the Internet, in Hollywood, and on
    the op-ed pages of the venerable New York Times. Even a member of Congress,
    in a Chicago Sun-Times op-ed published April 13, wrote of a "$28 billion cut
    in veterans' benefits and health care."

If any such cut in veterans' benefits were made, veterans and their
    families would be justifiably concerned. But there is no truth to any
    suggestion or assertion that VA's budget will be "cut" or "slashed" next
    year. In fact, funding for veterans programs will increase in fiscal year
    2004, probably by record levels.

President Bush's fiscal year 2004 budget requests a record $63.6
    billion for our nation's veterans, including a nearly 8-percent increase
    over the fiscal year 2003 budget for discretionary funding - which mostly
    pays for VA's health care system -- and a 32-percent increase in overall
    funding since fiscal year 2001. And the Budget Conference report the House
    and Senate agreed to on April 11 raises the suggested levels of
    discretionary funding for veterans by an additional $1.8 billion.

This rumor may have been fueled by a parliamentary maneuver that
    escaped even the most die-hard C-Span viewers. At about the time the Iraq
    war began, the House of Representatives passed a resolution requesting House
    and Senate Appropriations Committee members to reduce most federal agencies'
    funding, including VA's, by 1 percent in fiscal year 2004, a reduction they
    believed could be made up by reducing waste, fraud and abuse at each
    department.

If that measure had passed, it would have lowered the amount of the
    record increase in funding President Bush proposed for veterans, but it
    would not have cut VA's funding. Lawmakers, however, quickly recognized the
    impact upon veterans and exempted VA from the across-the-board reductions.

So, despite rumors they may hear to the contrary, veterans and their
    families, including our newest generation of veterans, should rest secure in
    the knowledge that a grateful nation honors their service to America. These
    days, the only cuts at VA are to the waiting lists for medical care and the
    backlog of compensation claims. While VA can always use more money, the
    interests of America's veterans and their families will continue to be
    protected by Congress, the Department of Veterans Affairs and the President.

Registered User Free Member Roberto T. Cast's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Regardless of what Princippi say, the bushwacker did cut VA benefits to Veterans. As a deserter, Clinton at least did do one good thing for veterans. Clinton approved the illnesses caused by Agent Orange that other republicans presidents would not approved. We have to give Clinton credit for that, if that is the only thing we give him credit for. The bushwacker does not care for the American people and its veterans. The bushwacker perfers for the Iraqi people to have a National Health coverage for all Iraqis. Remember what I said on one of the articles I posted before, It an OIL WAR. :bandit:

How about a National Health coverage for all of the American citizens?

If I can find the article on the VA cuts, I will post it.

Credits
    Savings
    Please tell me where you see reductions?
    I am across the street from Central Office for Veteran Affairs. I know which office Tony Principi is in and have no problem walking in. As chief of claims I think I would know what he or Bush were proposing. I am also in the Capital building for VA sessions.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/rates/#BM01

Exclamation

A man in New York walks into a bar and sits down at the counter.

The man hear's a gentlemen next to him with a strong British accent, the gentlemen thought he would sound smart and comented on his accent and asked him if this was the first time he had been to America.

The British gent said indeed it was, he was amazed at how wonderful it was.

The American said "Yes it is! Only cause we kicked your butt in the revolutionary war!"

The British Gentlemen asked "Wasn't that over unfair taxation without representation."

The American chuckled and replied "Yes"

The British Gentlemen said "How do you like it with representation."

If we hand out national health care to everyone, more libral components would want to extend this to the already growing illegal immigrants. Already 25% of all Federal prisioners are illegal immigrants, and we pay for them to have health coverage, this is not including the funding the states get for clinics, and the countless numbers that use them.

Where is our goverment going to get the money for that? Without increasing taxes? You and I both know the goverment is not going to cut their spending and their pay enough to pay for it, no matter who is in the White House.

So it will be us and we would all be in an overburdened HMO that even our own Doctors would not want to continue to practice. We cant even get the Dems to cut the allowed amounts doctors can be sued for.

If the Goverment gets involved they are going to sue the doctor and then the feds for poor mismanagment and then they are going to need more taxes to pay for that.

No thanks I would rather pay someone else who has achived the American dream of going into buisness for themselves then the Goverment who would rather I not think for myself and just pay them to do it.

National health covergae for the Iraqi won't be as burdensome because they will pay for it out of the oil profits not the people paying for it.

Former President Bill Clinton was not a desserter. He IS a draft dodger who ran to another country. Show some respect (bushwacker very immature) and military dicipline and refer to someone who holds the office of the President of the United States with respect.

You pat Bill Clinton on the back yet you ignore the benefit increases the President Bush has given to the Vets, and have you forgotten the gross cuts President Clinton did to the Military and there budget.

Selective memory and Ignorance is truley blissful....

Come on, Roberto, even the lefties gave up on the war for oil slogan! See some of my posts re: the War in Iraq and peace protesters and activists from about a month ago and a bit longer. That argument's been shot full of holes.

Most of this board, for whatever reasons, lean pretty far to the right, so yer gonna be outnumbered. Just wanted to warn ya. The voice of dissent is welcome, but yer gonna have to do better than the name callin'. Folks around here are a little beyond that. That's by way of sayin' that they think for themselves and look for the meat of a discussion, judging it by it's merits, not by it's vitriol.

I'm here to tell ya from personal experience that CAS has her **** wired, too, Marine. If she says it's so, I'd tend to believe her when it comes to Veteran's affairs. She's good at what she does, and we're all proud of her for it.

Thumbs up

Cast, if Presidnet Bush has forgotten the American People, The American People haven't forgotten him, considering his approval rating has never dipped below 50% and has an average of 70%!

Registered User Free Member Roberto T. Cast's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

VA Rumor - Cpl Dawson

Originally posted by CplDawson
    Cast, if Presidnet Bush has forgotten the American People, The American People haven't forgotten him, considering his approval rating has never dipped below 50% and has an average of 70%!

Mornin to ya Cpl Dawson

This is now, but wait for later on. The betrayer wannabe veteran, el bushwacker, has el rusho and el hannibal hannity working for him full time. It is my believe that when poll are taken, they target the states which voted for him. The wannabe president is in occupation of the white house because the U.S. Supreme Court put him there.

Have a nice day!

Most of the things you're bringin up have already been addressed in some detail here, Roberto. The Bush, Rush, Hannity conspiracy is a new one, though.

We're willin' to listen to what ya have to say, Marine, but the vitriol and hatred yer showin' is gettin' in the way.

Whatever truth there is in conspiracy theories or not, that won't get folks to hear ya. The name callin' will gain ya even less cred. Ya gotta re-think yer strategy. Most of the folks around are here are very intelligent and been down the same road you have with the VA and if what yer sayin' makes sense, they'll listen to ya.

Ya gotta give us a chance, here.

Re: VA Rumor - Cpl Dawson

Originally posted by Roberto T. Cast

Mornin to ya Cpl Dawson

This is now, but wait for later on. The betrayer wannabe veteran, el bushwacker, has el rusho and el hannibal hannity working for him full time. It is my believe that when poll (polls) are taken, they target the states which voted for him. The wannabe president is in occupation of the white house because the U.S. Supreme Court put him there.

Have a nice day!

1) This is now, but wait for later on. The betrayer (when and whom and how did he betray?)

2) Wannabe veteran, el bushwacker, (Wanna be Veteran? I am looking at the picture of President Bush here at my desk, in a flight suite the same one he wore as a PILOT for the Texas Air National Gaurd the same the Police departments wear for flying in helicoptors the same that I wore as a mech/arial observer, the same type of suite the SWAT teams wear for tactical purposes "wannabe?")

3) Has el rusho and el hannibal hannity working for him full time. (sounds like media envy!)

4) It is my believe (that's belief, but you have no facts, try facts then get back to me!)

5) They target the states which voted for him. (interesting how the majority of these media outlets taking these polls are by the most liberal orgnizations.)

6) The wannabe president is in occupation of the white house because the U.S. Supreme Court put him there.
    (The Supreme Court and every other organization that Gore and the Democrats had count the ballots well into a year after the election and they all came up with Bush winning!)

Got to do much better then that Cast!

Registered User Free Member Phil's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    First, President Bush did NOT steal the White House. Even if after a year there was a descrepancy in the vote count, The Supreme Court followed the Federal law and The CONSTITUTION. "I, blah blah, do solemly swear to support and defend The Constitution of the United States, against all enemies foreign and domestic...." It was handled the way our Fore Fathers wanted it to be handled if the issue ever came up. To say other wise is to second guess The Constitution. But that is only my opinion.

Thread Information