Future Drill Instructors
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

Future Drill Instructors

We get all kinds of new Poolees wanting to be Grunts, dog handlers and such. In six years and a thousand Poolees, I have yet to see one with a burning desire to be a Drill Instructor.

I have thought of that... my parents seem to think I would make a good Drill Instructor... But I'll earn the Title Marine first, then see if I want to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    We get all kinds of new Poolees wanting to be Grunts, dog handlers and such. In six years and a thousand Poolees, I have yet to see one with a burning desire to be a Drill Instructor.
    Can you blame them? It's one of the hardest and fulfilling jobs in the Corps.

A lot is probably because you have to make (correct me if I'm wrong) GySgt before you could fulfill DI?
    I will definitely keep DI in mind if I become a Marine!
    In my experience so far with the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine recruiter for a future MOS.
    Whatever I do I want to be a MARINE first.

Poolee Snell,

Have you never seen a picture or video of a Drill Instructor? If not, you'll realize they are wearing the ranks of Sgt, SSgt, or Gunnery Sgt on their sleeves. So I don't believe your Gunnery Sgt theory is the best.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Marines ages 22 to 37 with the rank of sergeant through gunnery sergeant can request Drill Instructor Duty. Corporals may be considered if they will be promoted prior to graduation from Drill Instructor School.

Corporal. Though he's not on this forum, my best friend talks about being a DI every day. He's already planning on graduating early just so he could get into the Marines and become a DI faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Snell View Post
    A lot is probably because you have to make (correct me if I'm wrong) GySgt before you could fulfill DI?
    I will definitely keep DI in mind if I become a Marine!
    In my experience so far with the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine recruiter for a future MOS.
    Whatever I do I want to be a MARINE first.
    You have to be an NCO. You can be a corporal and go to DI school if you're high speed and about to make sergeant.

Recruiting is also a hard job. Your last sentence is good to go. Get some!

I met one of the DIs that I'll have at Parris Island at one of my poolee functions, and I want to be just like her some day. She's scary as mess, and has a stare that can freeze your soul, but she said that being a DI was one of the most rewarding jobs in the Marine Corps, and I've heard the same from many others. I went to PI when I was 14, and saw plenty of them, and I don't think that there's anybody on earth like a Marine DI. I used to dream about making Marines when I was little, and as soon as I get to the point where I'm able, I've got every intention to try and become one of those amazing people that make that happen.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well first they have to earn the Title Marine, then earn their Chevrons time and grade and be a NCO, also earn the Blood Stripe. Which this comes at the rank of Cpl and the NCO step. This takes a couple of years to get to this. As we all know DIs are Sergeants and above and most don't get to this rank on their first enlistment. It is hard for most to think about the Drill Field until it comes.

Actually yellowwing, it's been my dream to be a DI as long as I've wanted to be a Marine. One of the biggest reasons I joined the Marine Corps was their extreme level of disipline, and a DI is pretty much the epitome of that...

I guess people just don't talk about it (myself included) because it's so far down the road... it'd be like telling everyone you want to be a college proffessor before you even got to college...

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I want to be a Drill Instructor
    I want to shave off all my hair

Mark my words, if I pick up Sgt in the next 2 and a half years, I will be at drill or recruiting school.

God, hazing little idiot recruits for 3 years? What more could an NCO ask for?

How many current Drill Instructors do we have on leatherneck? And who are they?

Corporal, I presume that all Poolees view Drill Instructors as the enemy, per-se, at this moment in time. Everybody joining the Marines wants to be the bad-a** recon Marines that are in all of the movies, and fear the constant yelling they are about to experience over the next 13 weeks. In order to want to be something, one must have respect for the people who do that job, and right now ( a general time, before boot camp), most Poolees and wannabes (including myself) are scared S**tless of their future DIs. Don't get me wrong, we all have respect for them, it's just a different kind of respect, a respect driven by fear. I'm sure all Marines know the feeling.
    Just a wanna-be's two cents, Very interesting topic and observation

Thread Information