Two Marines and one Seven News anchor went on a shopping spree at Toys R Us in Belmont County.
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 ; 05:17 PM
Updated Wednesday, December 10, 2008 ; 08:10 PM

It was all for their favorite project, Toys For Tots.

Story by D.K. Wright

ST. CLAIRSVILLE, Ohio -- The Marines' mission of Toys For Tots is more challenging than ever this year.

"Donations have been down," says Staff Sgt. Eric Young of Moundsville. "And we've noticed, just in the Ohio Valley alone, about 20 more agencies than normal have requested assistance."

More need...fewer donations.

And toy prices are going up.

So they shopped carefully, looking for deals and sales to get the most smiles for their buck.

The bucks for this shopping trip--$780--all came from one bake sale, held at 7 News by Morning Anchor Stacy Rich.

"We do the bake sale every year, and I get to go shopping with the Marines," says Rich. "It's a tough job but somebody has to do it."

It actually is a tough job for the Marines, because they are particularly in need of girls' toys.

"A lot of times, the boys are easy to shop for," says Staff Sgt. Young. "If it's got an engine, makes noise or shoots something, it's OK."

But these Marines got a little glazed over, looking at sparkly make-up kits and Hannah Montana merchandise.

"I don't have any kids, and most of the guys at work have boys, so what do we buy?" says Chief Tony Darling of the Marines out of Moundsville. "Luckily, Stacy's with us."

Stacy brought along her own one-year-old daughter, Gia, who slept in her stroller through the whole shopping expedition.

In the end, they picked out several shopping carts full of toys and games totalling $726.12.

"I can't imagine a child waking up on Christmas morning without something fun to open," says Rich.

Toys For Tots has drop-off bins at all Toys R Us stores, all Dairy Queens and Family Dollar stores.

They are accepting toys up to December 20.

Ellie