U.S. secretary of defense visits Kandahar in advance of troop surge

1 hour, 59 minutes ago

By Bill Graveland, The Canadian Press

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates has hinted he would like to see Canada extend its mission Afghanistan past the scheduled 2011 departure date.

Gates met with military leaders at Kandahar Air Field on Thursday and received a briefing on the operations on the ground in southern Afghanistan, most notably Kandahar where Canadian soldiers have been attempting to contain the Taliban.

Gates told reporters that no country has worked harder than Canada.

"The country's that have partnered here in RC South have made an extraordinary commitment and proportionately none has worked harder or sacrificed more than the Canadians," Gates said when asked whether he would like to see Canada extend its mission.

"They have been outstanding partners for us and all I can tell you as has been the case for a very long time, the longer we can have Canadian soldiers as our partners the better it is," he added.

Gates said a "long-term commitment" was required to keep troops in Afghanistan. He stopped short of suggesting the Taliban was gaining influence across the country in light of increases in attacks and improvised explosive devices.

"This is a long fight and I think we are in it until we're successful along with the Afghan people," Gates said.

"I would take my cue from the Dutch commander here at RC South. His view is the situation is not getting worse - it's just different."

The visit is in advance of a surge of U.S. troops being sent to the war-torn nation beginning next year.

Gates said he hopes the Pentagon will be able to get three of the four combat brigades requested by commanders into Afghanistan by next summer,

President-elect Obama had earlier announced plans to send an extra 20,000 troops into Afghanistan within the next 18 months.

The United States has announced plans to send 3,500 additional Marines to Afghanistan before year's end, then an Army brigade of about 5,000 soldiers in January.

There are already about 65,000 international troops in Afghanistan, including roughly 32,000 U.S. forces.

Ellie