Commanding a Reserve Center
Create Post

Commanding a Reserve Center

I've been out of the Corps for a few years and have been thinking about returning as a reservist. I have the opportunity to by the CO of a Reserve Center and was wondering what all is involved. I've been a Reservist before (both enlisted and as an officer) but never was XO or CO. I guess what I'm asking is whether there is a lot of admin duties that need to be done besides what gets done on drill weekends. Does the CO usually meet with the I&I at times other than drill weekends? Basically, what can I expect to be undertaking?

Sorry, sir. You're probably not going to get first hand knowledge here. We do have one officer here who was in Anglico reserve. He's probably your best bet for info.

As far as my exposure to the command side, you'll be doing a bit more than just drill weekends.

Sir,
    i can only speak to the last 4 reserve units i have been with in the last 13 years...
    You are more likely to deal with your active duty counterpart via phone call during the week IF REQUIRED.
    Those of us on the I&I staff fully understand your civilian life/job commitment.
    Just be aware that there is an interview process in order for commanders to assume a command.
    You must interview in person, and must submit a few documents. Without my list in front of me, a reserve qualification summary and dd form 2808 come to mind.
    If you REALLY wanna help out your prior service recruiter,(if u need help finding him, you can send your traffic via jeepinguy@gmail.com) get started on writing a personal letter to the Batt. commander.It will be part of your affiliation package.
    Also, keep in mind that the body fat and height standards have changed over the last few years.
    We also have this wicked beast called the CFT

Captain,

You might want to try the website below for your question. It's the officer message board and I would imagine you'd have better luck over there.

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

I know there will be a great deal of conference calls during and outside of drill with BN and other companies/deatachments.

You may be tasked to be the OIC of an AT mission. That's all I got sir.

Thread Information