My journey has come to an end...or has it? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Try to get documentation that states that you were misdiagnosed with depression and that you did not need the medication. Based on your previous posts, it seems like you were put on anti-depressants because you have a pill-happy mother and doctor. This may not be easy to get because it would require your doctor to admit that a mistake was made. If this doesn't work, try to get your doctor to state that you are not at risk for future episodes of depression. This may be difficult if your doctor believes that you really did have depression. Many people in the mental health community have the attitude that depression is a life-long condition. They believe that once a person is diagnosed with depression, that person is always at risk. Remember that the goal of psychiatry is not to cure depression, but to manage its symptoms. At the very least, your doctor should be able to write something positive about your current mental state.

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome!

I have made an appointment with my doctor! Hopefully we can get this taken care of!

Oh and by the way, my congressman who I called yesterday, called me back this morning and told me they were going to try and help!

- Jacob

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Go get'em Jacob! Keep at it.

Aye, Corporal!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

I am so sorry.

Hey Lagrand. I am in a similar situation to yours. I have been wanting to be a Marine since my freshman year of high school, and now that I am a senior I am chomping at the bit to join. However, I have had some problems in the past with OCD, but I am doing great now. I went to see a recruiter in June and they told me I need to be completely off the meds for a year before I can join. I am taking meds currently, but I will begin to get weaned off of them in January so that I can have a chance to join. It is just frustrating to see my one friend who is a Poolee prepare to ship in June right after graduation whereas I will be at home. I am proud and excited for him, but it stinks that I cant be in the same position However, this is not about me and my petty complaints. I wanted to congratulate you for the positive attitude you had through all this, because I know if I was in your shoes right now I would be ticked off. I am so sorry for your situation, but I want to encourage you to keep your head up. The One who is getting me through my struggles is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and ANYTHING is possible with Him. Stay encouraged, because you have the determination and willpower to succeed to become a Marine that most dont. God bless.

Here's a quick update. The Captain over at the Recruiting HQ has just put his endorsement on my paperwork and is resending my stuff to MEPS in hopes that it will get approved. Gotta run!

-Jacob

Good luck and keep me updated too please

Quote Originally Posted by lagrand View Post
    The Captain over at the Recruiting HQ has just put his endorsement on my paperwork and is resending my stuff to MEPS in hopes that it will get approved.
    Is this happening before or after your doctor's appointment?

Quote Originally Posted by lagrand View Post
    Hello all. I was just informed that I am now permanently disqualified from the United States Marine Corps. I was set to go to the hotel yesterday afternoon and report to MEPS this morning for the final time to take my oath of enlistment. I had been to MEPS twice before and they told me to wait a full year after being off of medication. I waited a full year (would have been today) and come to find out, they had permanently DQ'd me awhile back without even telling me. Bummer huh? I was kind of confused because I wasn't suicidal or anything like that. Mom had put me on meds for being "depressed".

But hey, you know what, you have to take things with a grain of salt. I love the Marines. The Marine Corps is where I want to be. I have emailed my Senator and Congressman. My girlfriends father has some friends at the Pentagon with whom he is talking to and one of my friends mother's is retired and was the commander at the local MEPS. I'm not quitting. I'm not taking no for an answer. My head is held high with or without earning the title.

I want to thank you guys for all the information you have given me over the last year or so. I am proud to say that I made the decision to become a Marine and that there are people like you guys in this world. God bless every single one of you.

- LaGrand
    I can truly see why, depression and meds are never safe in a combat situation.

Thread Information