My journey has come to an end...or has it?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My journey has come to an end...or has it?

Hello all. I was just informed that I am now permanently disqualified from the United States Marine Corps. I was set to go to the hotel yesterday afternoon and report to MEPS this morning for the final time to take my oath of enlistment. I had been to MEPS twice before and they told me to wait a full year after being off of medication. I waited a full year (would have been today) and come to find out, they had permanently DQ'd me awhile back without even telling me. Bummer huh? I was kind of confused because I wasn't suicidal or anything like that. Mom had put me on meds for being "depressed".

But hey, you know what, you have to take things with a grain of salt. I love the Marines. The Marine Corps is where I want to be. I have emailed my Senator and Congressman. My girlfriends father has some friends at the Pentagon with whom he is talking to and one of my friends mother's is retired and was the commander at the local MEPS. I'm not quitting. I'm not taking no for an answer. My head is held high with or without earning the title.

I want to thank you guys for all the information you have given me over the last year or so. I am proud to say that I made the decision to become a Marine and that there are people like you guys in this world. God bless every single one of you.

- LaGrand

Keep fighting for as long as you have the fight inside you. I would hate to see the Marine Corps lose a good recruit because of something like this. Remember, we're not going anywhere.

Aye Corporal. This recruit has had the fight in him for the last 2 years to get in. I will not give up, even if that means joining another branch then becoming a Marine in a few years. Mark my words, I'll see you in the Fleet.

- LaGrand

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    AS E4B stated "we're not going anywhere", we'll be here for a long time and you are still young.

Good luck in whatever happens, but let it be known that I am behind you 100% if I can help!

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Good luck to ya. Keep us posted.

Thank you Corporal for the support. You may be hearing from me in the near future about what to do. I'll keep you informed.

Thank you Lance Corporal. I'll most definitely keep everyone posted. It's not over!

Tomorrow I will be making phone calls left and right. I have gathered phone numbers from the Recruiting Station in Raleigh, to the 4th Recruiting District, all the way up to the Marine Corps Recruiting Command and also BUMED. Where should I start? And how should I go about it? Thank you all.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by lagrand View Post
    Tomorrow I will be making phone calls left and right. I have gathered phone numbers from the Recruiting Station in Raleigh, to the 4th Recruiting District, all the way up to the Marine Corps Recruiting Command and also BUMED. Where should I start? And how should I go about it? Thank you all.
    Now that's entirely different from a simple request for moral support. For that we would need one of the dreaded "long stories". No, seriously, just a a BRIEF rundown of your problem...exactly.

Understood, LCPL. A brief rundown. Who should I begin speaking with?

Credits
    Savings
    I meant a rundown for us, the slower part of the audience here...

Oh okay, sorry, I misunderstood at first. Here's a long story short:

Dad left last May and parents divorced. Mom put me on antidepressants around May/June. I got off December 9, 2007. My recruiter told me it was SOP to wait 6 months after being off meds. I waited 6 months and went to MEPS. I was then told to do a psych evaluation. So I went to MEPS a 2nd time for the psych eval and they told me to defer enlistment until I had been off meds for a full year (which puts me at December 9, 2008). I wait another 6 months and I walk into the recruiting office yesterday ready to go to the hotel and I get told I'm permanently DQ'd (apparently they DQ'd me awhile back even though they told me to wait...). And now I am where I am now.
    I just wish I would have known 6 months ago when I went to MEPS the first time. We all have problems and get upset and down sometimes. I have been off meds a full year without any problems whatsoever. My ASVAB score is a 90 and I am physically active every single day. It confuses me how on the news they have allowed felons into the service, but are denying me enlistment?
    Nonetheless, there's no reason to sulk or complain. Just gotta keep going with your chin up, ya know? However, I'm not ready to quit because I've wanted this for the longest time. Thanks for whatever help you offer

-LaGrand

LaGrand, holy hell. I'm in the EXACT same situation haha. Except, mine happened back during middle school, and was off the meds in 03. So I've been off of them for a while. But they keep telling me no. Just keep your head up, and keep at it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by lagrand View Post
    confuses me how on the news they have allowed felons into the service, but are denying me
    Who, What, When, Where?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Well,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post
    Who, What, When, Where?
    They let you in, Big Al.

Just keep your head up and keep pushing forward, if it is decided that there is no chance of joining then you can support the Marines. From your profile you live in NC so, check out Camp LeJeune, New River and Cherry Point for a Civilian Marine job.

Thread Information