Military Working Dog Handlers Course - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    OK, what would be a good estimite of how many people are chosen for Handler Courses, like if you had ten people that wanted to be handlers' how many would probably get it. And what is the average number of people in a class?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling View Post
    yea my advice is,you better be squared away.there have been some problems with underage drinking and stuff lately and we JUST got off cinderella liberty this weekend. I hope you have a 1st class PFT because K9 PT is no joke. you'll probably go home on ptad (recruiting assistance) since the wait to pickup is a month or more.we got 5 on ptad right now that don't pickup until sometime in march. I'm outta here march 5th so i'll only be here for a short time while your here. Can you tell me how many your bringing with you? what day your getting in? ssgt mendoza was in my humvee during the field week,some of the instructors here know him too.

also when you get here,DO NOT STEP ON THE ROCKS OUT FRONT! there is a memorial out front to fallen K9 Marine Sgt Cann and that is hallowed ground.

I had Sgt Clarkin,Ssgt Prather and Ssgt Snyder.
    There are 3 other coming along with me, ones a female. Were all pretty squared away, I don't drink or anything. I have a 295 PFT score, my last run time was a 18:45. I remember and pass word about the rocks, thanks for the advice by the way

put it this way,40 guys in my class wanted K9 and 6 of us got picked.

yes triplet,you are still an MP you are just trained to work with a dog rather than by yourself,alot of your duties will revolve around your expertise with the dog though as there are few K9 handlers in the Marine Corps.

Ok...that's not very reassuring....15% of 40 is 6...that tells me Im screwed...any advice on how to convice them to put me in that course?

read my thread dude.

always do the right thing,don't get any NJP's,be respectful and be squared away.I would worry about earning the title THEN worry about dog handler school.

so i just got my orders...i'm going to hawaii.

the g/f is ****ed,but she'se hanging in there. I get 5 days of leave then i report in on the 11th,i certify tommorow then graduate thursday,can't wait to get get out of here! anyone got any info on hawaii?

Credits
    Savings

the g/f is ****ed,but she'se hanging in there. I get 5 days of leave then i report in on the 11th,i certify tommorow then graduate thursday,can't wait to get get out of here! anyone got any info on hawaii?
    West of California, and a BIG change from San Antone.

Also, congrats on finishing up and getting on with your dream.

Yeah, I'm stationed in Hawaii. When I get back next month I'll meet up with you and show you and JoeInVille around the island if you like. This is a courtesy, and I'm still a corporal so don't think we're home boys

You'll live right near the front gate, near all the air wingers. If you get a top floor in the barracks your view will be absolutely amazing, google kaneohe bay, your room will look out over the mountains and the bay. ****er, I get to look at KT...

Speaking of KT, KT is a mountain, which you will run up quite frequently. Enjoy that.

I dont see K9 handlers much, so I can't tell you what they do except for them doing this little o-course thats setup for them and their dogs. Ive seen them go on little jogs in boots, utes and flaks with their dogs too, but thats not as a group, just one Marine and his dog every once in a while.

Kaneohe Bay is a small ass base, and there's 1 regiment of grunts and 1 battalion of arty, the rest is a few Air wing units and CLB-3. I hope you don't like female Marines because there aren't any, although there is this cute corporal that works at the front gate every once in a while

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

IM in HAWAII

Hey man I leave for dog school soon but I have been training for a while with K-Bays K-9. I know everyone in the kennels and i can get you in contact with a CPL Walton and the Kennel Master overthere. Shoot me a post and I can help you out.

SrA Rimmer

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    matter of fact contact me at 808-259-4200 it is the Bellows AFB PMO office (bellows is a place you will spend a lot of your time at lol) Ask for a SrA Rimmer

thanks for the help man but I already have contact with the kennel master there,thank you for the help though! my old roommate is there now in the kennels and is gonna show me around and get me all setup there. i'm east coast,mountains are not something i'm used too hehe.

i'm bringing a female Marine with me,I've been with her since MP school and we are getting sick of each other,now we gotta be in the same kennels for 2 years! i guess theres no female Marines in the kennels either.

how do the locals feel about us corporal? I've been told it depends on which island your on...which one am I going to be on anyway?

USAFMP, Waimanalo?!?! Lucky SOB! I love that damn place, so down home and the beach is bangin. I love goin to the beach park and throwing BBQs with my boy Ikaika's family. Hawaiians are awesome people, but only if the haole has Kama'aina friends!!!

You'll be on Oahu, the same island as Pearl Harbor and Waikiki and Honolulu, the populated one. You may go to PTA on the big island, but I dunno as an MP. The locals aren't bad if you don't act like you're a brand new Marine that's God's gift to earth. If you do, they will put you in your place real quick. Also, alot of the older Hawaiian's are prior military. And if you see a Hawaiian flag, don't ****ing ask why the British are there.

Hmm, female huh? Hmmmmmm

this should be a culture shock,I am pretty excited about it though.i'm told the unit itself (H/S Co.) is not deployable but the handlers in K-9 are,we deploy by ourselves not as units. I take it theres alot to do around the islands corporal? and did you know a cpl gorman by any chance? he'se at P.I now.

I should add that officially today I am a certified dog handler,we had certification today and everyone passed thursday we graduate then i'm taking leave for 5 days and i'll be in hawaii on the 11th.

Credits
    Savings
    this should be a culture shock,I am pretty excited about it though.i'm told the unit itself (H/S Co.) is not deployable but the handlers in K-9 are,we deploy by ourselves not as units. I take it theres alot to do around the islands corporal? and did you know a cpl gorman by any chance? he'se at P.I now.

I should add that officially today I am a certified dog handler,we had certification today and everyone passed thursday we graduate then i'm taking leave for 5 days and i'll be in hawaii on the 11th.
    Congrats again Walling. Live your dream!

thank you corporal! you've been damn supportive,don't think i haven't noticed.

Thread Information