Military Working Dog Handlers Course - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    All of the dogs you'll work with in the fleet will be trained right, like you won't be training them from scratch right?

yes.All dogs regardless if there training dogs or fleet dogs go to DTS (dog training school) and certified before being used by the military.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Outstanding, Marine! You definitely have one of the coolest MOS's in the military. I'm jealous!

your not the first to tell me that.my grunt buddy the other day was telling me he was jealous,In some ways i'm jealous of him.but I really am living a dream here,I gotta pinch myself sometimes to remind me it's real hehe.

we just finished aggression training in block 1. this is the training that i really looked forward and what drew me to be a MWD handler. Those high speed videos you see of dogs chasing down a guy and biting? yea I just spend 3 days doing that. when i pulled my dog out of the kennel she was excited to see me,just like any other day.we hooked up and i brought her out to the training area where we do aggression and once she saw where we where going she became a COMPLETELY different animal.she is usually a sweetheart but the second you show the dog that wrap (the big padded arm the decoy wears) they become EXTREMELY aggressive.this is where repore with your dog comes into play,if your dog doesn't respect you and like you they WILL bite you during this training.we had a navy girl on my team get bit by another handlers dog while she was critquing him during the OB course.
    My instructor had me decoy for my dog to prove the point that no matter how loyal your dog is,if your wearing that wrap there gonna come at you.it's not that they want to bite YOU per say,it's that they really really enjoy biting that wrap.During this training the handler and decoy are about 6-8 feet apart,the handler tells the suspect to approach him and gives his dog a firm "stay" command. the decoy walks up,pretends to hand the handler an ID,they make chit chat then the decoy walks off. they reset then repeat the excerise,except this time the decoy makes it halfway to the handler then turns and bolts the other direction as fast as he can,as the decoy turns the handler tells his dog "watch em!" this tells the dog to begin becoming aggressive and he knows he'se going to get a bite,so he becomes very vocal and starts pulling,the handler yells "halt! halt! halt! or i'll release my dog!" on the instructors command the handler releases the collar "get em!" and the dog bolts after the suspect. let me make it clear,YOU CANNOT OUTRUN THESE DOGS no way,no how. my dog came at me freakin; fast and i barely had time to turn and catch her on the wrap she latched on and started pulling and shaking me hard, I kept aggitating her and making noise to keep her on the wrap,the instructor (who was acting as handler for my dog) came up and pulled her off.
    We did it again with me as handler this time,after i released her and she went after the suspect I caught up to her and pulled the leash to its to full length and yelled "OUT!" this is the command to tell the dog to stop biting and release.alot of dogs have alot of troublr with this,especially training dogs.but to my pleasant surprise my dog obeyed! she let go,i gave her "SIT!" praised her a bit "stay!" and told the decoy to back up 3 feet and prepare for a search.this ends the excerise. We had alot of fun with this training,I would NEVER want to have a police officer release a dog on me,there vicious as hell!

well i'm off,we got released for christmas break yesterday i have to pack and then my flight leaves tommorrow,I'll be back on the 3rd so i won't see my dog for 2 whole weeks,which sucks.I have a test when i get back so i gotta study hard,the academics on this course are tough,all about dog behavior,training aids and first aid. Have a safe and merry christmas all!

some pictures of my dog during training. I'lkl get better ones when i get my digital camera for christmas.

i uploaded some pics of my dog into my profile photo album,for whatever reason they won't showup when i put them in a post.

hey PFC

hey PFC Walling, I enlisted on December 1 2008 and am going to be an MP and hopefully a dog handler. I was wondering, is there any way i can get dog handling, or at least field MP requested in my contract? Because i really really don't want to end in corrections at a prison all day....

I know I haven't updated this in a while,frankly we have been busy trying to catch up after christmas exodus and my internet was out for a bit.

so i'm on my last week of block 1 (patrol/sentry dog) we certify next week,I am confident My dog and I will pass.I am looking forward to getting into block 2 (narcotic/explosive detection) but at the same time I dread it,I will get a new dog when i leave block 1,I have grown very attached to her even though she is only a training aid and not the dog I will work with in the field.I can't imagine losing one of these animals in combat after a 8-12 month deployment.

We recieved our vet training yesterday,basically it's how to give your dog an IV,take vitals,Emergency treatment for open chest wounds and bloat.the Army is in charge of vet care for all services working dogs and there vets try to teach us in 16 hours what they learned in 9 weeks of AIT.
    We've done building searches,controlled agression,scouting,obstacle course,obdience,vehicle patrol and gunfire excerises. My team has become quite close even though where all from different services,and We all hope to certify together and not lose anyone so we can move onto block 2. the academic tests are difficult,they cover everything from what drives a dog and there behavior to the uses and functions of MWD's in garrison and field enviroments.I feel like a doggy psychologist right now.these animals are so much smarter and capable than your regular domestic dog. Still no Idea where I will get stationed,I am hoping for lejuene but I'll go wherever the Corps needs me honestly.

I got a shiny new digital camera and have gotten quite a few pics and videos,I'll post them too a photobucket and post a link here so anyone who is interested can see what kind of training we do,and some cool dog attack videos (including a Navy MA getting knocked on her ass by a MWD ) any questions feel free to PM me,My internet is back so i'll be more active on this site.

You're hoping for Lejeune? What? Have you ever been there?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Hey Marine

Hey I will be heading to the class in June I have Been a MP for 5 years and its very tough to get MWD school in the Air Force. Its even harder when your stationed overseas. But anyone in the military knows theres a waiver for everything so soon I will be on my way. Just want to know what its like and what I need to look out for. Thanks in advance

SSgt Rimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    You're hoping for Lejeune? What? Have you ever been there?
    besides MCT no.obviously I have been on student status my entire career thus far,small price to pay to get my dream MOS. it's closer to home and on the east coast,honestly I don't give a **** where I go.I'll go wherever they need me.

SSGT,you'll be on mixed service teams.I actually have 2 senior airmen and 1 SSGT on mine from the AirForce. You'll be staying in a hotel on base or house off base if your married and have the BAH.

Well I certified on thursday In block1 (sentry/patrol dogs) We did well,gunfire she got really scared (no surprise there) but this was the worst,I had to correct her on almost every shot for barking and coming out of the heel.but other than that no problems.We parted ways,it was pretty sad i'm not gonna lie but thats how it works.these dogs are just training aids and you get a different dog when you get to block 2 (narcotic,explosive detection) since these dogs are not duel certified.

here are some pics from my team on block 1,I got some videos i'll throw up on youtube when i get more time. http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/s...am5/Block%201/

Credits
    Savings

Tango

hey keep the posts coming the more the better. So they treat you different because you just came in ? I have a wife and daughter so you say I have to stay off base during the school ? Any way let me know how your doing.

Credits
    Savings

Whats New At School

Hey whats new in school ?

Thread Information