December 8, 2008

Bravo Farms hosts carolers, Marines and Santa at Toys for Tots reception

BY GERALD CARROLL
gcarroll@visalia.gannett.com

TRAVER — Celeste Argueta, 10, of Visalia had chosen her priorities at Saturday's festive Toys for Tots reception at Bravo Farms.

Among them:

Get a nice picture of the family standing in front of the four smartly dressed U.S. Marine reservists guarding an assortment of holiday toys.

See Santa Claus, who had popped in with Mrs. Claus.

Have a cup of hot chocolate, apple cider or other holiday-related beverage and relive the day's events.

"I asked Santa for a turtle for Christmas!" said Celeste, whose sister, Isabella, 7, asked for a puppy.

But while the sisters had a good time, that wasn't the purpose of their visit. For them, the most important aspect of Saturday's proceedings was their donation of three new dolls to the Toys for Tots cause.

"We gave a cheerleader doll, a fairy doll and a baby doll," Celeste said. "They are all brand-new and will make children happy."

Celeste, Isabella and even their 5-year-old sister, Victoria, understand the importance of helping the less fortunate during the holidays.

"It's good to make other people happy," Celeste said.

Her mother, Rosa Argueta, 43, of Visalia wants her children to appreciate not only what they have, but what they can do for others.

"It is a hard time for everyone now," she said.

But some found reason for optimism despite the economic hard times being felt by many.

Shadi Edhah, who owns the minimart and fueling station that are part of the Bravo Farms complex alongside Highway 99 near Road 368, said he is rejoicing over falling gasoline prices. Customers no longer empty their wallets to fill up the tank, he said.

"It is like a blessing," Edhah said. "It's now $13 [for many to fill up], and the customers buy other items in the store with the change."

Carolers

Also Saturday, a six-member chorale from Reedley dressed in Dickensian costume — replete with top hats, scarves and long, sweeping dresses and bonnets — made the rounds for about three hours, singing such classics as "Angels We Have Heard on High" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

"At first I was going to get some of my choir students to sing [Christmas] carols here," said Randy Lepp, choir director at Reedley High School. "But I settled on gathering a few Reedley alumni, and it's worked out very well."

The unaccompanied selections added a special holiday touch to Santa's visit and the other activities — including an open-door billiards parlor and appearances by live goats and some young, fully costumed shepherds and red-and-green-clad elves of all ages and sizes.

As for the toy drive, the four Marine Corps reserve corporals, ordinarily posted in Fresno, said they're hopeful that trying economic conditions won't prevent people from donating.

"I have faith," said U.S. Marine reservist Guillermo Vasquez, 21. "[Donations] will happen."
Additional Facts
HOW TO HELP

Toys for Tots — Contributions of new, unwrapped toys for the U.S. Marines Toys for Tots program are still being accepted. Information: 897-4634.

Tommy the Turtle Gift Drive — Drop off new unwrapped gifts until Dec. 22. The goal is to give out more 2,000 gifts to local youth. Information: 733-3062. Through Wednesday, donations will be accepted at the Stonebrook Express Carwash, 1201 West Caldwell Ave., and the Town & Country Car Wash, 3037 East Noble Ave., both in Visalia.

Ellie