Pearl Harbor survivors to place wreaths in lake

By JOHN REYNOLDS
THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER
Posted Dec 06, 2008 @ 11:48 PM

Wreaths will be placed in Lake Springfield today in memory of the U.S. soldiers, sailors and Marines killed at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

The ceremony, which will be held at the Disabled Veterans of America Club, 25 Club Area at the lake, is co-sponsored by the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs and the World War II Illinois Veterans Memorial Committee.

Sandra Dehner-Wheeler, a member of the committee who oversees special events, said about five Pearl Harbor survivors attended last year’s ceremony.

“It was quite touching to see them, knowing what they have been through,” Dehner-Wheeler said. “Through my studies and working with the programs for the memorial, I realize they have suffered. What they saw is beyond my comprehension.”

The 2 p.m. event will begin with the presentation of colors, followed by recognition of Pearl Harbor survivors by Tammy Duckworth, director of the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
John Carrigan, president of the World War II Illinois Veterans Memorial board of directors, is also scheduled to speak.

The wreaths will be placed by Pearl Harbor survivors and the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors.

The ceremony is open to the public.

John Reynolds can be reached at 788-1524.

Ellie