Bold Marine

Woman packed parachutes in WWII
December 2, 2008 - 8:13 PM
By FRED POLLARD
The Telegraph

Mildred "Millie" Franke, 94, who served in the Marines during World War II, was inspired to join the military by her uncle, who served in the Marines during World War I.

"My uncle, Lawrence Wilson, was a Marine for 32 years and I thought that was great," Franke said.

Stationed in California and New Jersey, Franke packed parachutes for the soldiers serving overseas. During her three years in the Armed Forces, Franke said she and her fellow female soldiers were not allowed to be sent to other countries.

"They did not know what to do with us at first," she said. "Being a female in the military at that time was very interesting. They would not let the women go overseas back then."

Born and raised in Alton, Franke lives at Glenhaven Gardens, a retirement community near Alton Memorial Hospital. Her younger sister, 84-year-old Betty Yakubian, lives just down the hall.

"We are the last two of seven girls," Franke said. "I don't know how my mother put up with all of us."

Shortly after school, Franke met and married her husband, Alfred. Together, the couple served their country during World War II, Millie in the Marines and Alfred in the Army.

"While I was stationed in California, he was stationed in Oklahoma," Franke said. "It was tough."

Proving herself a trailblazer, Franke advanced through the ranks of the Marines during an era when most men would have expected her to stay home.

"I made as high as sergeant," she said.

Although she always kept up with her male peers, Franke did miss out on one Armed Forces initiation.

"I was in the air arm of the Marines," she said. "We were supposed to jump from a plane at least once. When they took us out to jump, it was cold, windy, and we were on the coast. They were afraid we would blow over the ocean, so they did not let us jump.

"They still made the men do it, though."

After helping to defend their country, the Frankes decided to return to Alton.

"After the service we wanted to come home," she said. "This is where I grew up and where I went to school. For me it will always be home."

Staying busy following her military career, Franke worked for 10 years at an insurance agency, taught sewing for the Singer company and managed the lunch counter at Woolworth's.

"My life has been most interesting," she said. "When I look back it seems like there always something going on."

Today, Franke spends her time reading and staying active at Glenhaven Gardens.

"I like to read history books, but I will read anything I can pick up," she said. "I also like to sew when I can."

Ellie