what dress blues designation for seperated marine attending Parris Island Graduation
Create Post

Question what dress blues designation for seperated marine attending Parris Island Graduation

I proudly walked across the parade deck of Parris Island back in 1982, it is now my cousin's turn to carry on that tradition. He is currently training at P.I and will graduate on March 6 2009. I have through the years attended Marine Corps Birthday balls in full dress blues with medals. I will be attending his graduation in March and obviously know that It is not appropriate to wear full dress blues with medals in public, what I do want to know is for that time of year what dress blue designation would be appropriate. I am assuming ribbons and badges. Thanks for helping an old salt but forum newbie. Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you are not active duty recommend a nice suit and tie instead of blues. If you do decide to wear blues ... bravos with ribbons and badges. Have to be correctly worn and fit as you will be closely scrutenized.

Me I would wear a collard shirt and slacks, ballcap that says ohh rahh I love the Marine Corps and Veteran or some such and maybe scare up a couple coins for the drill instructors. Graduation ceremonies are all about our newly fledged Marines and they should get the limelight on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by 82Marine View Post
    I proudly walked across the parade deck of Parris Island back in 1982, it is now my cousin's turn to carry on that tradition. He is currently training at P.I and will graduate on March 6 2009. I have through the years attended Marine Corps Birthday balls in full dress blues with medals. I will be attending his graduation in March and obviously know that It is not appropriate to wear full dress blues with medals in public, what I do want to know is for that time of year what dress blue designation would be appropriate. I am assuming ribbons and badges. Thanks for helping an old salt but forum newbie. Semper Fi!
    I believe you can wear your full uniform anytime if you were honorably discharged.

Both of you bring excellent point of views, these were some of the same points of views I was kicking around and yes although I do look appropriate in my dress blues (see my pic in profile) I would definately be more scrutinized than say ,, at a Marine Corps Ball. I do also agree that the dress blues may bring too much attention to me and not enough to the men and women who we would be honoring on that day, I had my day and now its their turn to have theirs so I think a Marine Corps tshirt or something of that nature would be appropriate. Last but not least I fully am aware like SGT7477 said once you earn it you can wear it as long as you follow and honor customs and traditions when in that uniform and you are squared away. Thanks to all

Credits
    Savings
    ... you can always wear your MCL blazer, decked out with your fruit salad.

You will be bringing attention to a WORTHY organization.

Don't forget the challenge coins.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post
    ... you can always wear your MCL blazer, decked out with your fruit salad.

You will be bringing attention to a WORTHY organization.

Don't forget the challenge coins.
    well that's another idea, now I just need to become a member

I want you to know that Dress blues are worn by recruiters who have honor grads, and the recruiting station kinda forces someone from the RS/RSS to go... blues are issued gear now and depending on the season... they'll be wearing bravos across the parade deck so you won't be taking anything away from them.

however, I know there is an order out there for occasions that a discharged/retired Marine is authorized to wear his uniform... you might want to call the RS admin shop to ask them to find out... maybe your cousins recruiter can help you to find out.

the Marine Corps League is full of salty officers... not my taste. but they are awesome boosters! another avenue for admin questions would be your local Marine Reserve unit's admin.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    I want you to know that Dress blues are worn by recruiters who have honor grads, and the recruiting station kinda forces someone from the RS/RSS to go... blues are issued gear now and depending on the season... they'll be wearing bravos across the parade deck so you won't be taking anything away from them.

however, I know there is an order out there for occasions that a discharged/retired Marine is authorized to wear his uniform... you might want to call the RS admin shop to ask them to find out... maybe your cousins recruiter can help you to find out.

the Marine Corps League is full of salty officers... not my taste. but they are awesome boosters! another avenue for admin questions would be your local Marine Reserve unit's admin.

hope this helps.

I have never encountered any issue with wearing dress blues to any of the Birthday Celebrations however I do realize that your'e correct, when seperated or retired Marines are wearing uniforms within the FMF or in this case an active recruit depot I may need to look closer at any orders that pertain to such a situation. Even though I know I rate to wear the uniform as long as it is properly worn and I have my military bearing I think It needs to be appropriate for the situation. I will probably just go casual with some indication that I'm no "civi". On that day I will be a proud observer. And yes your perspective does help.

You rate em, so you can wear em, you know that already.

What I'd do?

Probably wear something USMC related, such as a float jacket, or MCL jacket.

You can also wear mini medals pinned to the lapel of a nice suit, with your Honorable Discharge button, or a small Eagle Globe and Anchor pinned nearby. That's also appropriate without going overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    You rate em, so you can wear em, you know that already.

What I'd do?

Probably wear something USMC related, such as a float jacket, or MCL jacket.

You can also wear mini medals pinned to the lapel of a nice suit, with your Honorable Discharge button, or a small Eagle Globe and Anchor pinned nearby. That's also appropriate without going overboard.

Affirmative

I didn't mean to imply that you CAN'T wear them... just that there are designated occasions that you are authorized. The Marine Corps ball is one of them... I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't wear them to the football game and get smashed but wearing them to your cousins wedding is ok. I've seen a 70 year man wear his Blues on veterans day, so please don't think I was leaning the other way on this issue.

yut and semper fi.

Thread Information