Can I have a vehicle at my MOS school
Create Post

Can I have a vehicle at my MOS school

my MOS is going to be 0200 in VA Beach.. I will be out there for six months and my parents are talking about coming to see me.. When they come they are planning to drive my truck across the country and then fly back and leave it there for me.. I was wondering if I will even be allowed to have a private vehicle there during those 6 months.. if anyone knows or could give me some info I would appreciate it.. thanks

When you arrive to your MOS school they'll tell you if you can bring your vehicle. If you're going to be there for six months (or more because of the line of people who need to take the same classes) then they might let you bring your vehicle up.

I'm gonna say probably not, being in school you will have a lot of restrictions and such on you. I was in school for 4 months and POV's were not allowed. Of course each command is different, and your school will be a little longer, so ask. But make sure you know before your parents plan this trip across the country.

I wouldn't count on that just yet. Afterall, "A" school is an extension of boot camo as you will consistently be tested and expected to adhere to strict rules and having your own POV just doesn't fit into the grand shceme of things while you're there at school. So, don't count on taking your vehicle just yet.

First of all, Intel School is 3 months, not 6 so I don't know where you heard that at? Secondly, no, you will not be allowed to have your vehicle there since the school is so short. And don't think you'll be slick and park it off base somewhere so you can go pick it up because the instructors WILL find out and then you're in for a world of hurt. You don't want to start your career off with an NJP.

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    First of all, Intel School is 3 months, not 6

WHAT!!!!! Intel school is only 3 months long! I thought it was like way LONGER. ITB was 3 months also. No wonder we grunts never the "right" INTEL. hahahaha j/k bro.

In ITB they told us we couldn't have POV's so we had to take the "LOSER CRUISER" around hahahahahaha.

actually my recruiter told me it was 6 months long.. and it is in VA beach.. also, i spoke to another Marine who was 0200 and he told me that it was 6 months long.. so thats where I heard that.. I assume both of those guys to be reliable sources

Quote Originally Posted by LStorey View Post
    actually my recruiter told me it was 6 months long.. and it is in VA beach.. also, i spoke to another Marine who was 0200 and he told me that it was 6 months long.. so thats where I heard that.. I assume both of those guys to be reliable sources

How could it have doubled in length since 0231Marine's time? I don't know the answer, all I know about Intel School is they were the kids wearing chucks at Lynnhaven Mall that I had to correct every weekend when I lived in VA Beach.

I know a young Pvt currently going through the school herself, but I would still take 0231Marine's word for it over hers cause she's so boot. The Private I know has been there for weeks now and all she's done is working parties. Also remember, even the greatest of recruiters are really only experts in two MOSes - 8411 and whatever their primary MOS is.

I was in 29 Palms for MOS school for 6 months. We were not allowed to have our POVs on base as a general rule. However, if you were a responsible student and a good Marine, the instructors would grant you the ability to have it, as long as you approached them about it first. If you just tried to do it, you were in for a really bad time.

Simply put, you're not there yet. Thus, there is no way to know. A new CO could show up the day before your parents leave to come see you and totally change your ability to have it on base or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LStorey View Post
    I can understand how you would take their word for it but I'll tell you with 100% certainty that it's only 3 months worth of instruction. However, you may be there for 4-5 months if you get there and there aren't enough students yet for your class to pick up. In this case, you'll fill your time with working parties and classes on proper grammar and briefing techniques. Regardless, you will not be allowed to have a vehicle while you're there.

re8elmonk0341 - LOL...no worries brother. They manage to pack a ton of information into those 3 months though and when you hit the fleet, the first thing they tell you is, "Forget everything you just learned because this is how we do it here."

LStorey I got out of there and no you will no be able to have a car on base, Not even if you are there for a year.. and there are hods there that have been there for a year and they cant have a car. Intel is only 3 months long in VA Beach but longer if you go to the 26 field school in FL but going to school asa 0231 you cant have a car on or off base and if you try you will get nailed, there is an average of like 5 NJP'S per a class out of there for stupid sh*t do be one of them. keep your head on straight and study if you do that you will be just fine there.

Isn't that what I just said? Only with proper grammar and not spelling like a 10 year old? Danman, I really hope you don't write Intel products like that!

I was in school for about 8 months and we were allowed to have our cars. It was a Navy school though not sure if that makes the difference. Also allowed in MOS school at New River.

A car is a no go. I had a friend that lived in Va beach and he went to NorthWest for his MOS school which is in an adjacent city and I had to drive him on and off post.

I'm from VA Beach so if you have any questions feel free to ask. You are right by the ocean front. You and your buddies could hump to the boardwalk in an hour and a half no problem.

We have the Hampton Road Transit (bus) that can take you around Va beach.

Good luck in school and let me know if you need any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by UsmcMotorT View Post
    A car is a no go. I had a friend that lived in Va beach and he went to NorthWest for his MOS school which is in an adjacent city and I had to drive him on and off post.

I'm from VA Beach so if you have any questions feel free to ask. You are right by the ocean front. You and your buddies could hump to the boardwalk in an hour and a half no problem.

We have the Hampton Road Transit (bus) that can take you around Va beach.

Good luck in school and let me know if you need any assistance.
    Thanks Motor T.. I appreciate that.. If all goes according to plan/schedule.. which im sure it will.. I will be arriving in VA Beach about next august sometime.. I'll definitely shoot you an email if I have any questions or need any assistance.. thanks again

Thread Information