ROTC cadets honor their Marine Corps heritage

December 4, 2008

By Charles M. Bartholomew

Post-Tribune correspondent

PORTAGE -- From the halls of Portage High School to the shores of Lakefront Park, Maj. John Johnston's Marine Corps Junior ROTC cadets are a familiar sight at community events in their camouflage fatigues.

But on Friday night, the young men of the unit donned full military regalia and the young women wore their finest formal attire to the Woodland Park Community Center for the annual ball to celebrate the Marine Corps' 233rd birthday -- like similar observances at bases and embassies around the world.

"The Marine Corps is always special. It's a privilege to have one of the best ROTC units in the country," said Johnston, who introduced Willowcreek Middle School Principal Michelle Stewart, a former Portage ROTC commander, as the guest of honor.

The 39-year-old Portage ROTC recently was named the top junior Marine program in a district that covers 23 states.

Also on hand were retired Marines Jack and Julia Jent, Tom Pappas and his wife Donna, school resource officer and former Portage cadet Cpl. Troy Williams, six representatives of the Dunes Leathernecks Marine Corps League in Valparaiso, and two recent ROTC graduates on leave from active duty with the Marines.

"I was an avionics technician, serving in Iraq from May to October. I worked on the electronics of the V-22 aircraft and went out on some tactical recovery missions," 2006 graduate Cpl. Matthew Rose said.

He said he'll be deployed again in a year, shipping out through the Mediterranean to Afghanistan.

Also present was Jason Follow, class of 2007, who completed Marine boot camp a week earlier.

Flashing a big Semper Fi smile at the round of applause was Sgt. Ken Altizer, USMC (Ret.), who worked with Johnston at Portage for 12 years before leaving last spring to become senior instructor for the Marine Corps Junior ROTC program at Michigan City High School.

"I don't miss you guys very much; I only cry once a day," Altizer said. "I still love this place."

Hanging proudly behind the dais was a large American flag that had flown on the USS Orion, a World War II sub tender that was decommissioned after Operation Desert Storm.

Amid all the pomp and circumstance, more than 200 cadets, active and retired military personnel, and guests found a ribboned testimonial from one of this year's senior cadets on each dinner plate.

"It brings out the best in people. It teaches honor and integrity," wrote John Bumbales, the unit's sergeant major.

Cadet David Berridge wrote, "Give respect and you will be respected. (It was) one of the best decisions of my life."

Ellie