Considering Joining - Need Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering Joining - Need Advice

Hello, my name is Greg Wagner and I am 20 years of age. I have been considering joining the Marine Corps since I was about 16 and in high school. I've been to the recruiters twice now, but have yet to sign anything. The first time I went I was going to sign up with a few of my friends. Instead one got married, the other joined the army and is now deceased, and I decided to give college a try. I thought going to college would take my mind off joining the marines, but after two and a half years I still think about it every day. The second time I talked to the recruiters was around 6 months ago. I was hoping for some information about the PLC program and perhaps some motivation. The ASVAB I took in high school (score of around 75) was no longer valid and they had me take a pre test of some sort while I was there. I scored around an 80. The recruiter and myself outlined a basic plan for my enlistment. First I would join the reserves and go to boot camp and mos during a semester off. While serving in the reserves I would finish college and participate in the PLC program. If I passed both college and the PLC program I would be offered a position as a 2nd Lt. Then I could accept and serve as a officer, decline and serve as a enlisted, or finish out my reserves contract.
    One of my problems is I am pretty dedicated to finishing college now (about 2 more years to go) and feel like after a deployment I would have no desire to return to college. My recruiter assured me that while in the PLC program I would not be deployed, but I had a hard time believing that. Another problem I'm having, which I'm sure many others here may of had, is actually making the commitment to at least four years. My original recruiter gave me some advice when I went to him for help on this problem. He told me I should make a list of pros and cons based on joining and weigh them against each other. The following is that list:

Reasons to Join:
    pride/respect/honor
    steady work
    travel
    strength
    duty to my country
    marksmanship
    could retire around 40
    If i decided to leave, service looks good on a job ap.
    No other job I am truely interested in
    will wonder 'what if' for the rest of my life if I don't
    No wife/kids

Reasons to Stay Away:
    low pay
    possible death
    my back injury
    4 year min commitment
    travel to ****ty locations
    unsure If I will enjoy / be able to stand it
    unsure of current president-elect.
    may greatly increase time till BA degree or totally ruin incentive

Another problem I have is that while being a 2nd Lt. would be great I feel that I don't deserve it or could accuractly perform my duties without first serving as a enlisted. This is part of the reason I'd like to join the reserves asap, so that if I do complete the PLC program and decided to be an officer I will have some sort of past duty underneath me. Joining the reserves would also give me a chance to wet my feet. I would be able to be part of the USMC without the full commitment of a enlisted, that way if I found out I truely hate being in the USMC I would only be a reservist. Also, about my back injury I mentioned earlier. During high school I worked at a warehouse for a few years and injured my back to the point I had to quit the job. Now the muscles in my lower back give me a fair amount of pain every now and then. When I wake up I am usually very stiff till I get moving around. If it gets too bad a tylenol usually wipes it away, but I doubt I would be allowed any pills in basic. However, I have tried to combat this by getting regular exercise and also preparing for boot camp. While I wouldn't consider myself marine corps athletic, I would go as far to say that I am in decent shape. I usually run 3 miles in about 24 to 26 mins, my current max bench is 275, and I weigh around 170. I feel my sit ups need the most work due to my back. Although, I can still bust out around 60-70 in 2mins with only a average amount of back pain.
    I've tried to provide you with as much information about myself and my situation as I can, so that you may offer as much motivation and information as you can. Joining the Marine Corps is a major decision, but after over four years of thinking about it I am ready to **** or get off the pot. Thanks in advance for any information or response.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OH GOD! ANOTHER Thinker!

If you already think you might hate being in the Marine Corps, then you probably will. Like that old recruiting poster, "we don't promise you a rose garden".

Also, please post in the Poolee Hall or Ask a Marine forums.

Oh shoot that was a long story, the ball is in your park sunshine, whew.

I would see if the MEPs screener flags you for your back before you make any grand plans. If your back hurts now what shape is it going to be in when you are humping a pack with a combat load in it?

There Are Two Kinds Of People In This World, Marines & Those Who Want To Be Marines.......If You Have To Think So Hard,on Weather Or Not To Join,maybe You Weren't Meant To Be A Marine!...."Pain In Your Back.....mmmm Good!! Give Me More!!"

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Hello, my name is Greg Wagner and I am 20 years of age. I have been considering joining the Marine Corps since I was about 16 and in high school. I've been to the recruiters twice now, but have yet to sign anything. The first time I went I was going to sign up with a few of my friends. Instead one got married, the other joined the army and is now deceased, and I decided to give college a try. I thought going to college would take my mind off joining the marines, but after two and a half years I still think about it every day. The second time I talked to the recruiters was around 6 months ago. I was hoping for some information about the PLC program and perhaps some motivation. The ASVAB I took in high school (score of around 75) was no longer valid and they had me take a pre test of some sort while I was there. I scored around an 80. The recruiter and myself outlined a basic plan for my enlistment. First I would join the reserves and go to boot camp and mos during a semester off. While serving in the reserves I would finish college and participate in the PLC program. If I passed both college and the PLC program I would be offered a position as a 2nd Lt. Then I could accept and serve as a officer, decline and serve as a enlisted, or finish out my reserves contract.
    One of my problems is I am pretty dedicated to finishing college now (about 2 more years to go) and feel like after a deployment I would have no desire to return to college. My recruiter assured me that while in the PLC program I would not be deployed, but I had a hard time believing that. Another problem I'm having, which I'm sure many others here may of had, is actually making the commitment to at least four years. My original recruiter gave me some advice when I went to him for help on this problem. He told me I should make a list of pros and cons based on joining and weigh them against each other. The following is that list:

Reasons to Join:
    pride/respect/honor
    steady work
    travel
    strength
    duty to my country
    marksmanship
    could retire around 40
    No wife/kids

Reasons to Stay Away:
    low pay
    possible death
    my back injury
    4 year min commitment
    may greatly increase time till BA degree or totally ruin incentive

Another problem I have is that while being a 2nd Lt. would be great I feel that I don't deserve it or could accuractly perform my duties without first serving as a enlisted. This is part of the reason I'd like to join the reserves asap, so that if I do complete the PLC program and decided to be an officer I will have some sort of past duty underneath me. Joining the reserves would also give me a chance to wet my feet. I would be able to be part of the USMC without the full commitment of a enlisted, that way if I found out I truely hate being in the USMC I would only be a reservist. Also, about my back injury I mentioned earlier. During high school I worked at a warehouse for a few years and injured my back to the point I had to quit the job. Now the muscles in my lower back give me a fair amount of pain every now and then. When I wake up I am usually very stiff till I get moving around. If it gets too bad a tylenol usually wipes it away, but I doubt I would be allowed any pills in basic. However, I have tried to combat this by getting regular exercise and also preparing for boot camp. While I wouldn't consider myself marine corps athletic, I would go as far to say that I am in decent shape. I usually run 3 miles in about 24 to 26 mins, my current max bench is 275, and I weigh around 170. I feel my sit ups need the most work due to my back. Although, I can still bust out around 60-70 in 2mins with only a average amount of back pain.
    I've tried to provide you with as much information about myself and my situation as I can, so that you may offer as much motivation and information as you can. Joining the Marine Corps is a major decision, but after over four years of thinking about it I am ready to **** or get off the pot. Thanks in advance for any information or response.
    Aristotle......cut to the chase...."Where would you be if you didn't join?"

In one sentence or less please!

And if your back hurts now....you don't want to join any branch of the military! And if you have had medical treatment for your back you need a waiver!
    <!-- / message -->

It sounds like you want all the bennies of that comes with the title of Marine but you're unsure if you want to pony up to thesacrifice or commitment. Of course, I could be wrong but that's the way I read your post.

Finish college and then decide.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    You previous back injury sounds like the biggest hurdle. You would eventually need to clear the medical board on that one.

My Point

"Reasons to Join:
    pride/respect/honor
    steady work
    travel
    strength
    duty to my country
    marksmanship
    could retire around 40
    No wife/kids

Reasons to Stay Away:
    low pay
    possible death
    my back injury
    4 year min commitment
    may greatly increase time till BA degree or totally ruin incentive"

These are the things that you said were positive and negative about joining the Marine Corps. Well not to sound like and a$$, but thats why its called the MARINES!!. If you really don't want that kind of life then don't join plain and simple. The Marine Crops needs people that are dedicated, and willing to do there time with as little moaning and groaning. When your time is up and your sitting back home at your local tavern and drinking a beer with some guys you can say that you were a Marine. and there is a sense of respect that comes from that when you tell people that. But in the end its up to you. If you decide to do it just stay committed. Who knows you might like it.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BASIC ABOUT A MARINE.

We don't go to ****ING basic training.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I almost read his entire post,,,,, I must be bored.

Looks like he'll be watin for the Mars Invasion Expedition.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    "Looks like he'll be watin for the Mars Invasion Expedition."
    That'd be cool, except by then we'll be eatin Tofu MREs

Haha some of the posts above are not very helpful, are they? What school are you going to? If it's a really good school and you're learning a lot from the experience, then stay put and finish. If your grades suck and you sleep all day in class, well that's another situation.

And why are you concerned about our President-elect?

Learn to swim. Seriously!

And, get used to being accountable for every last thing; accountability and security are not concepts to be trifled with.

There's no finger pointing in the Marine Corps, and if someone else tells you different... that guy told me to say it! ---->

Thread Information