Underweight, officer/enlistee, bootcamp questions - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Peruse the Poolee Hall thoroughly. For years we've had folks ask questions. And if we didn't know the direct answer, we knew Marines that did. It is a cumulative knowledge base spanning decades.

I'm a big fan of swimming. Its great for PT and a requirement. If you have to spend a few bucks at the YMCA for instruction it's worth it. The classes are small and they are pros.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All good suggestions. I recommend this first: Go to your family doctor and get a top-to-bottom physical. Then ask for a referral to a dietitian for a safe weight gain diet (combined with exercise).

Women especially don't want to rush past their "desired" weight while stuffing down dunkers by the gross. Not to sound sexist, but it is harder for women to gain weight carefully, more so than men. It just is.

Once OK by physical exam, and on a well-designed diet, add weight-lifting to your PT regime to build a little muscle bulk. Muscle weighs more than fat and it adds to the strength you'll need too. If you are going to lift, make sure you tell the dietitian that as it may cause a difference in the recommended diet.

Take your time and do it right and perhaps you'll avoid the bag of door knobs curse

Credits
    Savings
    Muscle is heavier than fat. You have no fat, so build muscle. It takes a LOT of time and perserverence. Cardio is essential to Marines so I won't tell you not to focus on aerobic type exercises, but also spend a lot of time on strength training and eat, eat, eat healthy good food. Check into a gym and see if you can get started with a strength trainer. You'll grow into it.
    Good luck!
    C

Just read Zulu's post - ditto!

F.Y.I. i went in as a skinny body and boy did they double up on portion on me. threw the chow line i was first and had to yell skinny body at each staytion i was 5' 8" tall and 110 pounds i left at 125 now i'm a fat body. LOL you do just fine

Thread Information