WWII Vets
Create Post

Thread: WWII Vets

WWII Vets

The Spousal Unit recently gave me the "Band of Brothers" DVD series as a gift. Personally, I thought it was great. Made me wonder about our Marines WWII vets. Do we have any on here? I'd love to here some stories if you're willing. My Grandfather (RIP) enlisted in the Navy during WWII. Obviously he was in the pacific and was the ship's lightweight boxing champ. He never told any stories though. My Grandmother told me about him being in.

Hey Corporal, I just read your post and it made me think of my grandfather. He was a huge reason why I joined the Marine Corps...he served in World War II, fought on Bougainville, Guadalcanal, and Guam. The most vivid memory I have of him recalling his service in the Corps was when I asked him if he ever wished that he'd joined another service like the Navy or the Coast Guard since he'd seen so many of his good buddies die in combat. He said "Scott, even though I lost some of my best friends, I wouldn't trade my service in the Marine Corps for anything...they'll always be my brothers no matter what and I couldn't have gotten that brotherhood anywhere else." What he said will stick with me forever...Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Let me introduce you to a good friend of mine;
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=16536

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    There are a few WWII vets on here but as Sgt Sparkie said ...that GYSGT Welsh is an active poster.

Thanks Marines. Recently I've had that need to get to know some of these heroes. I contacted Gunny Welsh and I hope to speak with him soon. S/F

The Greatest Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Bdchi1 View Post
    The Spousal Unit recently gave me the "Band of Brothers" DVD series as a gift. Personally, I thought it was great. Made me wonder about our Marines WWII vets. Do we have any on here? I'd love to here some stories if you're willing. My Grandfather (RIP) enlisted in the Navy during WWII. Obviously he was in the pacific and was the ship's lightweight boxing champ. He never told any stories though. My Grandmother told me about him being in.
    That is a great series. I was a little skeptical at first because it was about the army, but a Marine that I served w/ gave it his stamp of approval.

WWII Marines without a doubt are the greatest of all time.

Thread Information