Hey from USNA
Create Post

Thread: Hey from USNA

Hey from USNA

Good morning, everyone.

I have to admit, I have no idea what's gone on since I left a couple days ago and have no time at the moment to catch up. I need to make this fast. I'm at NASS on the USNA campus and am in a computer science course with a few free minutes so I thought I'd drop everyone a line.

I'm loving it here! Absolutely loving it! Days around here tend to end around 23:00 and revielle is 05:15, but if you're smart you'll be up at 05:05, especially as a female because we're all on deck four and need to make it to our squad leader's room ready to be lead to formation to PT no later than 05:20.

Sunday we had the PAE, a fitness test needed in the application process to a service academy. I would have passed if I could have done the FAH. I was under the impression that I could do the FAH either underhand or overhand. I found underhand to be easiet so that's how I trained and that's what I can do. I came here and found out that in the Navy you must do your FAH overhand. Sort of strange fact ... most females that could pass the FAH couldn't even come near the minimum push-ups.

Yesterday we had the PRT, a fitness test midshipmen take twice a year. That wasn't a pass/fail thing for us, it was just to see what it's like. I did well in the sit and reach, sit ups, and push ups, and gave the run everything I had ... never fell out even though I felt like I was going to puke up my guts half the time.

Today we had SEAL PT. I'm more sore now than I have been in a long time. Simple tasks like sitting in a chair are painful, but hey, that's motivatin'!

I'm having a blast, even though I highly dislike my squad leader. He doesn't seem to take anything seriously. It's almost as if he got accepted to the Academy purely because he was a good lacrosse player.

I'm having my doubts as to whether or not I really want to attend USNA, though. I learned that only 16.2% of graduates are allowed to be comissioned in the Marine Corps. The rest are comissioned in the Navy. While you can attend Leatherneck, join the Semper Fi club, and work hard to try to ensure a position in the Marine Corps there's no guarantee. I have nothing against the Navy but I wouldn't be happy as a sailor. I want to be a United States Marine.

I need to get going and I shouldn't ramble on too much because I've taken a day-to-day report of what's been going on that I'll type up and post when I get back.

Keep up the great work everyone!

I'll catch up on what's going on when I come home.

Sounds like your having a Blast. Good Times.

22DevilPup87

Hang in there young lady. You'll do fine and will be a Marine someday.

Chin Up Kid.

Thread Information