CMC: No Combat Instructor Ribbons - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 92
  1. #76
    I will say that as far as SDA packages go, the MSG package is the most time consuming for the Marine and the Career Planner/command...there are a LOT of things that have to happen in a sequential order to be found qualified per the order for MSG assignment.

    MSG is STRICTLY on a volunteer basis for both junior and senior Marine's unless that has changed since July of 07 (I simply don't know).

    We were told that it would be considered a SDA with all the perks as the other SDA's for Sgt's and above as they receive FitRep's while on that duty assignment for promotion consideration(s).


  2. #77

    Thumbs up Funny Stuff

    In my view, I can say I never did care about getting a ribbon or medal, just did my job, took care of my fellow Marines, and went about my day. Now don't get me wrong If I got a ribbon or medal Im sure it would be for something that I did, and worked hard for. I would wear that ribbon or medal with pride. Thats just the way of the Corps, moving on the funniest thing that I find about all of this is most of you Marines on here got more ribbons, and medals on your chest than what myself, Dad, and Uncle have combined. Were all damned proud of the ribbons and medals we have, and we leave it at that. Just a thought, Kill!!


  3. #78
    Actually, I heard that MSG has just become mandatory for some. Not enough MSGs were joining and the Det's out here were suffering bad because they were short-handed. Marines are now being forced into MSG, I know a few who were.

    Yes, you get a nice clearance and job opportunities out of this duty, but that does not really pertain to me. I want to stay in the Corps, possibly make a career out of it. It's about honor and pride, that's something that is hard to come by in the civilian sector.

    So what does MSG duty do to help a Marine's career in the Corps? Not too much. If you take away the ribbon and it does not count as a B-billet (Sgt's and below), then this duty does nothing. Like I said, it actually hurts your career because you are out of your mos for so long, you are likely to forget most of what you know. Most MSG's will go back to the fleet as a Sgt and have a LCpl who knows more about their mos better than we do. Like I said, this duty would actually hurt our career, not do it any favors.

    Like I stated earlier, I don't care much about the ribbon, I just wish that this duty would count as a B-billet. But since that is not the case for many, we will take whatever we can get to help our career in the Corps. I expect that most of you would not understand that, as you are not in my/our situation.

    Semper Fidelis


  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    So what does MSG duty do to help a Marine's career in the Corps? Not too much. If you take away the ribbon and it does not count as a B-billet (Sgt's and below), then this duty does nothing. Like I said, it actually hurts your career because you are out of your mos for so long, you are likely to forget most of what you know. Most MSG's will go back to the fleet as a Sgt and have a LCpl who knows more about their mos better than we do. Like I said, this duty would actually hurt our career, not do it any favors.
    I don't understand the reason why it's go to be something tangible that you take from the duty assignment.

    Or you HAVE to have the B-Billet designator to make it worthwhile.

    Sometimes, you do things and experience things that you can't put on a fitrep or anything like that, but it builds you as a Marine. Good leaders have intangible qualities, and some of those intangible qualities are learned over the course of a career, and the good ones don't worry about ribbons on their chest - if you're good it comes to you.

    If you are worried about going back to your original MOS and being told what/ how to do something by a LCpl then you are not very confident in your abilities. Who the fock cares if the LCpl tells me what to do,,,, to get me up to speed after the fact, I know he won't be telling me twice and he better recognize that I will destroy him if he gets outa line because of it.

    If you think MSG duty hurts your career you are foolish and you need to wake up. The eyeballs you have on your brain housing group must not be open, wake up Marine; look around see what you have and think about it.


  5. #80
    The duty itself is a good experience, but the ribbon is the only thing that helps our career in the long run. I don't know about you, but some of us are actually considering making the Corps a career. Marines are competitive: we always have been and we always will be- that's what makes us the best fighting force in the world. If we want to succeed and stay ahead of our peers, then we have to be competitive. MSG duty should not hurt a Marine's career in the Corps, if anything it should help it. Maybe I'm a bad Marine because I actually consider how my actions will effect my career in the Corps. The Corps is a job, don't you understand that? I try to make it as enjoyable as possible, but I still have to think about my future and what I want to retire as.

    The only tangible thing that keeps me ahead of my peers with this duty is the ribbon. If you take that away, then even LCpls will have surpassed me when I return to the fleet because they have more knowledge in the mos. Yea, leadership qualities are good to have, but that's not what I am arguing. Thinking ahead about my career in general, I need to stay competitive... like I stated earlier, being competitive is what makes Marines Marines, its about self-improvement.


  6. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    The duty itself is a good experience, but the ribbon is the only thing that helps our career in the long run. I don't know about you, but some of us are actually considering making the Corps a career. Marines are competitive: we always have been and we always will be- that's what makes us the best fighting force in the world. If we want to succeed and stay ahead of our peers, then we have to be competitive. MSG duty should not hurt a Marine's career in the Corps, if anything it should help it. Maybe I'm a bad Marine because I actually consider how my actions will effect my career in the Corps. The Corps is a job, don't you understand that? I try to make it as enjoyable as possible, but I still have to think about my future and what I want to retire as.

    The only tangible thing that keeps me ahead of my peers with this duty is the ribbon. If you take that away, then even LCpls will have surpassed me when I return to the fleet because they have more knowledge in the mos. Yea, leadership qualities are good to have, but that's not what I am arguing. Thinking ahead about my career in general, I need to stay competitive... like I stated earlier, being competitive is what makes Marines Marines, its about self-improvement.

    I don't like your attitude about the Marine Corps.
    Each duty/assignment is only there as a device to further your career is your mentality.

    The Marines is not a job, it is an all encompassing system.

    So are you in MSG for the experience or to get promoted/acknowledged?


  7. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    The duty itself is a good experience, but the ribbon is the only thing that helps our career in the long run. I don't know about you, but some of us are actually considering making the Corps a career. Marines are competitive: we always have been and we always will be- that's what makes us the best fighting force in the world. If we want to succeed and stay ahead of our peers, then we have to be competitive. MSG duty should not hurt a Marine's career in the Corps, if anything it should help it. Maybe I'm a bad Marine because I actually consider how my actions will effect my career in the Corps. The Corps is a job, don't you understand that? I try to make it as enjoyable as possible, but I still have to think about my future and what I want to retire as.

    The only tangible thing that keeps me ahead of my peers with this duty is the ribbon. If you take that away, then even LCpls will have surpassed me when I return to the fleet because they have more knowledge in the mos. Yea, leadership qualities are good to have, but that's not what I am arguing. Thinking ahead about my career in general, I need to stay competitive... like I stated earlier, being competitive is what makes Marines Marines, its about self-improvement.
    I thought about making the Marine Corps a career, that's why I reenlisted for four more years after my initial contract of three years was up. So, I understand what thinking down the road is all about, but I stand by my first statement - it's not just the tangible things.

    You say the LCpl's will have passed you up - really - last time I checked a Sgt., in the fleet was more or less running shiat. So, you are saying the LCpl has surpassed you, or is this only in your MOS? Lame, very lame. How long do you think it takes a MSG Sgt. to get spun-up to be a fleet Sgt in any MOS,,, it's not like you've been on another planet or sitting in the hospital in a coma. You must have MOS related MCI's that you can do to stay somewhat proficient in your MOS without being in the MOS, you can make it what you want or you can make excuses why you can't.

    If you are only doing MSG or any duty for the kudos and the fruit salad then you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

    If you are looking for self improvement I would suggest you do some soul searching, go find out why you want to be a leader of Marines. It can't be for the ribbons. You want self-improvement - did you get a 300 on your last PFT - if not then you got something to improve. I could go on all day.


  8. #83
    Pete0331: So, the Corps is not a job? I guess that means that I am not getting paid to work, therefore I really don't know why they are paying me... must be some kind of mistake.... All sarcasm aside, the Corps is a job. It fits right in between school and retirement. Have any of you ever thought about where you want to be when you retire? It sounds to me like you live in some sort of fantasy that the Corps is always be there for you, that they will pay your way for the rest of your life. Wake up and smell the roses! Once your contract is up, guess what, you are on your own.... unless, of course, you earned a decent retirement pension. I don't know about you, but retiring as a Sgt is not very appealing to me. I think I would much rather retire as an E8, E9, or maybe even and officer. I look forward to a decent retirement pension so that I may live out my existence with peace of mind. How I get there is the real question. You have to work for it, you have to earn it. Earning it means being a good Marine and advancing through the ranks. I really don't care if you think I am a sh!tty Marine because I actually plan my career, when I am retiring nicely with a decent pension, I just hope that you are not struggling under financial burdens and wondering how Uncle Sam could let you down. Once your contract is up, your done, and if you haven't earned a nice pension, good luck retiring happy. Yea, so I do think about my future and who I will make it to this nice retirement. It starts by realizing the Corps will not pay your way forever, that you have to try to be the best Marine possible in order to climb the ranks. I really hope that you can understand where I am going with this, if you can't, then I really feel sorry for you.

    thewookie: I am competitive, that's just who I am. I always work to better myself. I work on school (almost finished my bachelors), I work on PT (dreaming of a 300), I work on MCMAP (desiring that black belt), I work on MCIs (completed over 45), I work on shooting (hoping for another expert), I work on swimming (currently level Q, looking forward to swim school)... I could go on and on. I want to stay ahead of my peers and I want to be a good Marine, is there anything wrong with that mentality?

    Semper Fidelis


  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    Pete0331: So, the Corps is not a job? I guess that means that I am not getting paid to work, therefore I really don't know why they are paying me... must be some kind of mistake.... All sarcasm aside, the Corps is a job. It fits right in between school and retirement. Have any of you ever thought about where you want to be when you retire? It sounds to me like you live in some sort of fantasy that the Corps is always be there for you, that they will pay your way for the rest of your life. Wake up and smell the roses! Once your contract is up, guess what, you are on your own.... unless, of course, you earned a decent retirement pension. I don't know about you, but retiring as a Sgt is not very appealing to me. I think I would much rather retire as an E8, E9, or maybe even and officer. I look forward to a decent retirement pension so that I may live out my existence with peace of mind. How I get there is the real question. You have to work for it, you have to earn it. Earning it means being a good Marine and advancing through the ranks. I really don't care if you think I am a sh!tty Marine because I actually plan my career, when I am retiring nicely with a decent pension, I just hope that you are not struggling under financial burdens and wondering how Uncle Sam could let you down. Once your contract is up, your done, and if you haven't earned a nice pension, good luck retiring happy. Yea, so I do think about my future and who I will make it to this nice retirement. It starts by realizing the Corps will not pay your way forever, that you have to try to be the best Marine possible in order to climb the ranks. I really hope that you can understand where I am going with this, if you can't, then I really feel sorry for you.
    I understand your mentality, I just don't agree with it, and find it to be dangerous to Marines.

    Most of the military can't be described in so simple a term as "job".
    It's much more than that.

    I joined to be a warrior and leader, not to punch in everyday just to get a pension.
    Advancing through the ranks doesn't mean you are a good Marine at all.
    I am wary if those around me want nothing more then to get promoted and put in time for retirement.
    Those individuals tend to be selfish.

    I'm out doing my own thing for now.
    If I get back in it will be because I enjoy the experience and to enhance the experience of the Marines around me.
    Not for the percentage of crappy military pay and shot knees at the end of 20 years.

    Have a very moto day chasing your pension.


  10. #85
    Marine Free Member PaidinBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Not so sunny CA...
    Posts
    2,299
    Credits
    5,162
    Savings
    0



  11. #86
    Yes, I think about my long term career goals, but that doesn't necessarily make me a selfish Marine. I still look out for the Marines under my charge and do everything I can to help them out. I just want to be the best Marine I can and possibly make it a career.


  12. #87
    Marine Free Member Quinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    4,063
    Credits
    12,715
    Savings
    0
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeIrwin View Post
    Hay marine I.m 1st Recruit marine and 2nd Recruit Sniper unit333 Gy Sgt George Irwin
    ?? Mind boggleing. Two years older than me and joined the Corps 6 years before I did and got out after 6 years as a gunny. 3 digit platoon number in boot camp? EOD and Jump and Scuba all in that short time span. Boot camp was 6 weeks long? I just can't make sense of your profile or your quoted statement.


  13. #88
    Thanks for sayin sumpin...I was just looking at the profile signature and the dates and scratching my head also...does not compute w/me...not that I'm any Marine Corps authority by any means, but I put in a few weeks lol...I'm officially confuzzled (where the Hell is the head-scratching graemlin when ya need him?)


  14. #89
    Marine Free Member Quinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    4,063
    Credits
    12,715
    Savings
    0
    Images
    37
    LOL ... the way it reads to me is that he joined at age 16 and has a silver star, bronze star and several other awards. He has a Southwest asian service medal but no kuaiti liberation medals .... Is that even possible?? Somewhere there is a discussion about 2/9 and as everyone knows 2/9 was attached to 5th Marines during the time periods of his listed service.


  15. #90
    GEORGE IRWIN...Please confirm your dates of entry, into The Corps, your MOS, while in the CORPS, and your Discharge date, THANK-YOU.....DOC

    [
    ....."Doc Greek UP!!".....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts