CMC: No Combat Instructor Ribbons
Create Post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Question CMC: No Combat Instructor Ribbons

Had General Conway and Sgt Maj Kent out in SOI the other day. We assembled all the Northern commands (pretty much anyone north of the flightline) and they had a "Town Hall" style meeting with the Marines. When asked about the creation of a ribbon for Combat Instructors, similar to Drill Instructors or Recruiters, the old Marine didn't mince any words. To paraphrase (I was laughing too hard to catch the exact quote) the boss told the curious instructor that he didn't believe in ribbons for B Billets, and if he could take them away from the others, he would, but that can't be done. This isn't the Army and we're not playing the badge and ribbon game.

Now I was laughing just because the CMC nailed this Sgt right between the eyes and didn't even pretend to play nice. I never worked at SOI-what do you guys think?

I dont think there is a need for a badge like that. I wasnt really all for the drill instructor, recruiter or embassy duty badges either. Just my two cents, not trying to **** off anyone that has these badges.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm with ya but much the same I haven't done any of these duties. Since all these other decorations DO exist, did combat instructors just miss the bus or are they being wronged? Are we telling them they are not as vital as the others?

I havent done those B billets either. I did my four and then was medically ineligible to reenlist. I dont think anyone is being wronged here. I think the Marine Corps took a step in the wrong direction when they originally started giving ribbons for B Billets. You knew everyone was going to want one once they started it.

Credits
    Savings
    I should restate myself. I agree. I just meant where do we go from here? Discontinue the others? Maintain the status quo? Honestly decorations have gotten slightly out of hand-many Marines feel they are OWED these things. Hell I ought to have maybe 3 for all I've done...

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    I should restate myself. I agree. I just meant where do we go from here? Discontinue the others? Maintain the status quo? Honestly decorations have gotten slightly out of hand-many Marines feel they are OWED these things. Hell I ought to have maybe 3 for all I've done...
    I think all the ribions i have a pretty streight. I deployed I got into firefights in the GWOT in Iraq for national defense all while keeping a good conduct of myself. LOL. But if i had to put it down I really should only have deployment CAR OIF, that GC medal well I just didn't get caught. I don't think those BBillets should have those badages as i also think that people with PTSD should not get a PH, and i'm rated 50% for it. SF!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    ...When asked about the creation of a ribbon for Combat Instructors, similar to Drill Instructors or Recruiters, the old Marine didn't mince any words. To paraphrase (I was laughing too hard to catch the exact quote) the boss told the curious instructor that he didn't believe in ribbons for B Billets, and if he could take them away from the others, he would, but that can't be done. This isn't the Army and we're not playing the badge and ribbon game.

Now I was laughing just because the CMC nailed this Sgt right between the eyes and didn't even pretend to play nice. I never worked at SOI-what do you guys think?
    Okay that had me laughing too!

If the other B billets with formal schools have a ribbon, SOI instructors should also.

Everybody or nobody.

Squad Leader Free Member thewookie's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    What exactly is a combat instructor? Is this an official title now? When I spent a few years teaching CQB to FAST and MCSF Marines did that make me one? I mean who exactly does this "title" apply to? My assumption is this term refers or applies to any Marine who teaches or formally instructs any other Marine (in a school house environment) tactics and techniques of combat. So MCT, SOI, all PMI related jobs, and a bunch of other "combat" teaching schools, and so on, should or would be qualified for this award?

I think it's overkill and too Army-ish.

I can see a reason for recruiters, DI's, and/ or MSG Marines receiving their little ribbon, they are all special and tough assignments, and it is what it is. But creating a new award for doing a job that all Marines should be doing with their troops, is overkill, redundant, and too much.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I can see a reason for recruiters, DI's, and/ or MSG Marines receiving their little ribbon, they are all special and tough assignments, and it is what it is. But creating a new award for doing a job that all Marines should be doing with their troops, is overkill, redundant, and too much.
    It applies to the instructors at SOI. So MCT and ITB instructors.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    It applies to the instructors at SOI. So MCT and ITB instructors.
    Right, I understand that because they are the only ones teaching combat fighting skills - makes no sense.

I think it's gay, but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Right, I understand that because they are the only ones teaching combat fighting skills, makes no sense.

I think it's gay.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but I understand the opposing argument.

It is because the SOI instructors have both a formal instructor school and B-billet. Similar to both MSG, recruiters, etc.

There should be ribbons for none of them.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post

There should be ribbons for none of them.

Nuff said.

Giving my age away I wore Khaki uniforms when I was in the Marines. When did all of this bbillet ribbons start? Just curious,but I agree with the CMC we're not the Army.

Credits
    Savings
    I think it's a fairly widely held opinion that while we appreciate the quality efforts of Marines in these billets, we do not want to go down the merit badge route. Easy to say that nobody should have one, but how can that really be set straight now, if ever?

Thread Information