Boot Suggestions?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boot Suggestions?

Does anybody have any suggestions for what boots I should buy for ITB? I've heard Danners and Bates Lights. I also wasn't sure whether to get Hot weathers or temperates for SOI.

And how do I cange my icon from pvt to L/Cpl??

Look up above for the My Info button/tab/link and look for edit my avatar.

Don't buy boots. Your feet will thank you. Wear your ones from boot that are already broken in. They will do just fine. Wait until you get to the Fleet if you want to get new ones, but I personally haven't had any problems with the ones I'm issued. Congrats on the promotion too!

When you buy new boots today or 40 years from now spend as much on quality as you can afford, socks too and you'll most likely be reminded why you did so over and over.

I would buy the Gore-Tex lined temperate boots. Lightweight boots feel lighter until you get used to them and aren't that much cooler. Winter time i will hike or work for hours in uninsulated boots and never get cold until i sit for awhile, but when they get wet i'm fvcked for the duration and living in wet boots is snakebite miserable in most any weather.

--->Dave

I got a pair of the Belleville Temperate Gortex lined boots a week and a half ago, really like them so far. I also love my Bates ICBs (Temperate Gortex as well). I have a pair of Bates lights that I am not a fan of, I don't feel that they give much support or grip.

As stated, get good socks (I use Thorlos) and make sure your boots fit well with them.

Bates Lites - no other authorized boot can even compare. I've used every boot out there and nothing comes close to the Bates Lites. They're the only authorized boot that feels like a Nike running shoe, so comfortable and break-in time is less than a day. Some Marines don't use them because they say they're not as durable as other boots, but that's a load of crap because I used the same pair of Bates Lites every single day in combat in Afghanistan for 9 straight months, and if they can hold up to that level of abuse they'll hold up to SOI. Since you'll be at SOI in the winter, you still don't need ICB's, just get thick winter sucks and you'll be fine.

Once you get to the fleet, if your unit doesn't suck you'll be able to buy any of the various Converse, Blackhawk, etc. boots out there and use them on deployment, all of which are superior to anything authorized for the Marine Corps.

Every foot problem I have is directly related to wearing Bates lites while carrying a pack. They just aren't designed for that. But, if they work for you then you'll love them forever.

In my mind, any time your feet matter you should be wearing Danners. But I got a pair as a boot and couldn't believe how much better they were than the old combat boots.

I hate to piggy back on someone else's post, but can anyone suggest a good site to find quality boots on? The exchange doesn't offer anything worth a damn as far as black boots are concerned except for the crappers that Bates made for the Navy and I've beat the life out the ones I bought back in Feburary. I tried on a pair of Belleville flight deck boots and they just felt too heavy and dont breathe for ****.

I guess those would be labeled work boots? Sierra Trading Post has thrifty deals but size and quantity are often limited

I been humping the Columbia River Gorge this summer and fall shod in the Danner "Grouse" boot with high traction bob sole...steep, rocky and recently muddy terrain. It's hard to fault this boot beyond nitpicking, and skid marking my white kitchen deck. Similar construction to the Danner Marine temperate.

Danner has a new military model called the "Combat Hiker" i examined a pair the other day and found them to be hell for stout, a bit heavy but bad ass. Not sure if they are USMC authorized. Sales rep said the Army contracted 2 million bucks worth

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Sgt.Grits Has The Brown Non Polish Regulation Ones

I'VE GOT A PAIR OF DANNER ARCADIAS,GORTEX LINED THAT I'VE HAD 4 ELEVEN YEARS;WORN 99% OF THE TIME.WISH I HAD HAD THESE AS MY JUMP BOOTS.JUST GOT THEM RESOULED STICHED IN THE SAME ORIGINAL STITCH HOLES BY A COBBLER THAT KNOWS HIS CHIT.SGT.GRITS HAS THEM,BUT I BOUGHT MINE AT CABELAS BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK.BEST BOOT I'VE EVER WORN.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I'VE GOT A PAIR OF DANNER ARCADIAS,GORTEX LINED THAT I'VE HAD 4 ELEVEN YEARS;WORN 99% OF THE TIME
    FIST YOU DON'T WEAR THOSE BOOTS WITH THOSE PANTS YOU HAVE ON IN YOUR GALLERY PICTURE WITH YOUR DOG "RAMBO" DO YOU?

LOOK KINDA FUNNY IF YOU DID!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool I Still Spit Shine Them Too

(LOL) NO BUT I'VE WORN THEM W/MY O.D. GREEN P.T.SHORTS DURING THE SUMMER WHILE, I'M AT THE V.A. GETTING DENTAL WORK DONE.NO CHIT,MY DENTIST IS ABOUT 28 YR'S YOUNG AND A BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FEMALE.

Thread Information