Aviation Electronics 6423
Create Post

Aviation Electronics 6423

Hello Marines,

I used the search function first and I found one thread but it didn't answer my question.

I just got word today from my recruiter that after months of fighting to get my MOS set, I finally got 6423 (Aviation Electronics)

I know that the MOS "A" school is in Pensacola, but my questions are, assuming you get picked up immediately, how long is the MOS school? and what is the policy on visitors (since I am assuming that the school is longer, but I'm not sure exactly how many months)

Thanks for your help

P.S. Happy belated b-day Marines! Today we went to the beach with about 100 poolees and had a cake cutting ceremony for the occasion. Happy b-day!

Hey way to go with the avionics MOS, thats kick azz. I am not sure how long the school is but I've heard its pretty long. I know when I was in A School you can do what you want when you're off duty, as long as its legal and you make it back to class the next day...or muster if they do that still.

Avionics is a great skill to learn....a big chunck of the maintenance calls we get everyday are avionics/electrical in nature.

Thanks Sergeant, I was really excited to finally get Avionics as my MOS. Hopefully since the school is long, as you said, the liberty will be not so strict as I've head it is in other MOS schools.

Last time I heard it was a year long, but I am not sure as of now. There is no good websites that ever tell you how long any MOS school is.

Thanks PFC Monk, I'll have to ask my recruiter about it. I was guessing it would be that long since the contract is extended to 5 years instead of 4.

When I was down at NAS Pensacola (that is where you will be heading after MCT) AVI Marines had it good. They had mini fridges in their rooms and they were allowed to have their POV's there. Liberty was fairly laid back. Had musters on the long weekends and duty one weekend a month other than that it was all good.

It's one year to 18 months depending on your specialty area.

When I went to it id say about 8 Months. Saying a year to 18 months until you get to your first duty station would sound correct. I was a 6433 actually considering going back in. Was one of the first to go to school down there when the school move from Millington TN.

Grandson presently at MCT, due to graduate 14Oct.

He went in on contract for Aviation electronics. First scheduled school was at 29 Palms, but then he reveived upgrade to 6400 Aviation Electronics Technician at Pensacola, Fl.

He just got the scoop that his school at Pensacola may be backed-up for 1-2 months. He is concerned that somehow he is going to get screwed out of the school. What usually happens when these schools are backed up?

One thing I have told him so far, is to be careful that the the powers to be may try to have him voluntarily change his school (MOS).

Any info greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltDog View Post
    Grandson presently at MCT, due to graduate 14Oct.

He went in on contract for Aviation electronics. First scheduled school was at 29 Palms, but then he reveived upgrade to 6400 Aviation Electronics Technician at Pensacola, Fl.

He just got the scoop that his school at Pensacola may be backed-up for 1-2 months. He is concerned that somehow he is going to get screwed out of the school. What usually happens when these schools are backed up?

One thing I have told him so far, is to be careful that the the powers to be may try to have him voluntarily change his school (MOS).

Any info greatly appreciated.
    Yes LCpl I got word my actual MOS is 5900 now so I guess I'm going to 29 palms. how did your grandson get "upgraded"? I really wanted Avionics but I got Electronics Maintenance. Hopefully they are similar

Thread Information