Which MOS gives the best grunt-like feeling?
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

My dad is asking me not to take a 03xx MOS but rather ask a few Marines here that may know of a different MOS that still gives one the grunt feeling without all the hardships that come with being a 03xx. Any cool ones in particular? All shared comments are appreciated.

I'm just a poolee, but I know 1371 combat engineers roll with the infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by rmreynolds View Post
    My dad is asking me not to take a 03xx MOS but rather ask a few Marines here that may know of a different MOS that still gives one the grunt feeling without all the hardships that come with being a 03xx. Any cool ones in particular? All shared comments are appreciated.
    This Poolee might get hazed for replying, but we'll see. a friend (currently a recruit in his third phase at MCRD SD) got security forces, he wanted a cool job that was similar to infantry and our recruiter set him up with that, something to do research on, maybe ask your recruiter, he will have better info than any of us here, at least as far as job avalability goes.

Poolee Spears

Security Forces is infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANstaah View Post
    Security Forces is infantry.
    this is why this poolee is still just a poolee, he doesnt have all the info, and doesnt pretend to, sorry about that PFC, will do research next time.

Credits
    Savings
    Who's signing the contract? You should always respect and consider the counsel of your folks, but it's your life to live and you've got to face yourself. Besides, just because your MOS doesn't start 03 doesn't make you safe. Sounds like you're playing a word game with your old man...

If you want to be a grunt, be a grunt. You can pick a ton of jobs that are assigned to infantry units or that do things that might remind you of the infantry from time to time. But, if they're doing things with the infantry or like the infantry, then they face the same danger, obstacles, and everything else.

If you're old enough to be a United States Marine, you're old enough to tell your dad that you're making your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    Who's signing the contract? You should always respect and consider the counsel of your folks, but it's your life to live and you've got to face yourself. Besides, just because your MOS doesn't start 03 doesn't make you safe. Sounds like you're playing a word game with your old man...
    I have to agree with PaidinBlood, that just seems like a ridiculous question. I mean no offense what so ever but it just seems bizarre to me.

If your pops has issues with the Marine Corps have your recruiter speak with him.

If you have issues about safety then maybe you should reconsider joining.

If it really is your father who has issues I was in a similar situation with my family. They didn't seem to understand why I would put myself in harms way. I originally had the MOS of avionics 63/64xx and switched it to 03xx infantry.

I tried to explain to my moms that my decision to join the USMC had to do with something much bigger then me. That I knew the risks, but I also knew the risks of what happens if I or people like me don't join. While I may be only one person, it's persons like me that formed the great people that came together to help build and protect our nation and way of life.

My moms is still nervous, but she has learned to at least live with her fears and I believe she has a great deal more respect for me and my decision.

I hope that helped a bit, I know I kind of rambled on.

Regardless good luck.

Combat engineer would be the closest i think, but nothing can give you a "grunt" feeling expect being a grunt. I also agree that this is your life respect what your pops has to say, but he is not the one that will be signing the dotted line.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Explain the why behind the hardship......

From grunt to wing ALL Marines experience "the hardship".

If the definition of hardship is sleeping when you can in the sand,eating when you have a minute or two down time,watching a brother or sister leave this world or go back in pieces.........or a host of other feelings that is the hardship of being a Marine.

Some may have it a little easier "comfort wise".....but if you are regardless of MOS stationed in an arena of death you will eventually according to the CMC have your chance at some hardship feelings.

There are a bunch of MOS's that mirror being a grunt....a few mentioned here...and without ALL the MOS's the "grunt" wouldn't be able to do his job to the full extent...but to actually experience the grunt lifestyle you have to be a grunt.

I flew on many choppers, rode many tracks and trucks..... and blew a whole lot of shiat up .....but I did not experience the full effect of being in the wing,Amtracs,MT or engineers.

If you want the full experience and feeling of an MOS....YOU have to be in that MOS.

And to close..... family is important in your Marine life for support...but ultimately it is YOU that has to decide your fate or fortune!

i might be showing my age,

but how about 2800 ...... Grunt with a Radio.

I've been out a couple of years now,and they went and changed some MOS's,but I think the GRUNT is still the basic rifelman(0311) .
    Go for it,get er done son..........

No offense, but you're 19. Grow a pair and do what YOU want to do.

(god i'll pay for this lol)

Field MP.

NOT GARRISON(thats the dickheads with the badges),field MP's are the ones with the arm bands,saying is Mp stands for "multi purpose" we do convoy security,small unit action,perimeter and ECP security and raids/cordons. occasionally working with the grunts as well.

but honestly man,do what YOU want to do,if i did what my mother wanted i would be in supply or admin,and very,very miserable.

but i'm living my dream of becoming a dog handler in the Marine Corps because i did what i WANTED to do.

Thread Information