Vietnam War veteran proud after breaking 35 years of silence
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Vietnam War veteran proud after breaking 35 years of silence

Vietnam War veteran proud after breaking 35 years of silence
    By KAYLA BUNGE
    Monday, Nov. 10, 2008

MILTON TOWNSHIP — Steve Cameron left his family farm in New Milford, Ill., and joined the Marines in June 1965.

He was 20 years old, and the Vietnam War was raging a half a world away. If he didn’t enlist, he knew he’d be drafted.

“If your country needed you, there were no excuses, no cowardice and no second thoughts in serving your country,” he said.

Cameron met his would-be wife, Patricia, in July 1965 shortly before he went to San Diego for 13 weeks of boot camp. He proposed when he returned home, and they married in February 1966, just 17 days before Cameron boarded a troop ship headed for Vietnam.

Cameron was assigned to 1st Force Service Group in Da Nang, where he supervised 14 South Vietnamese civilians working on the Marine base.

Within a few months of their arrival in Da Nang, Cameron’s unit and a group of Catholic nuns started an orphanage in abandoned buildings on China Beach.

“There were so many children there who had lost their parents,” he said.

The Marines brought the orphans clothing, toys and candy. They paid regular visits—at least once a week—to the children.

In addition to repair work, the Marines fed the children, played with them and acted as role models in the absence of their parents.

“They thought we were great,” he said with a chuckle. “Of course, we had things for them.”

Cameron’ tough Marine exterior housed a generous, loving heart that melted when he met a 6-year-old Vietnamese girl who had lost her leg.

“It was just the smile she had on her face,” he said. “For someone losing their leg in a war zone, losing their mother and father, my heart just opened up to her.”

Cameron sent pictures home to his family, planting the seed of adoption. His wife was supportive of the idea, but at the time no adoptions of Vietnamese children were allowed.

It wasn’t until 1985 that the couple adopted a 7-year-old Korean girl, whom they named Julie.

Cameron said his unit’s relationship with the children at the orphanage revealed an often-overlooked aspect of the war.

“It was something we could be a part of, some place we could feel loved,” he said.

But the adoring eyes of the orphaned children weren’t enough to block out the disheartening stories of anti-war protests and riots that filtered to the soldiers serving in Vietnam.

“Whether they returned on their own two feet, in a wheelchair ... or in a body bag, they were met with taunts, jeers and derogatory name-calling,” Cameron said. “Over there (in Vietnam), it was out of sight, out of mind.”

En route back to the United States, the Marines were warned of the unpleasant homecoming ahead. The higher-ups told them to stay out of the way of protesters, not to talk back to rioters and to wear civilian clothes.

“It bothers me,” Cameron said. “When I went in, I was proud to serve my country. And when I came home, I was still proud, but I could not display it by wearing my uniform.”

Cameron was discharged in 1969 as a staff sergeant. He and other Vietnam veterans learned it was better to keep quiet about their service.

“When we came home, we were the bad guys,” he said. “So I tried to forget about it.”

Cameron, 63, of Milton Township remained silent for almost 35 years until the traveling Vietnam Memorial was brought to Janesville in 2000. While standing in front of the memorial, a business acquaintance shook his hand and thanked him for his service.

His voice shakes when he tries to describe the meaning of that brief exchange. He said it was the first time someone other than his family members had thanked him.

Now when he meets a fellow Vietnam veteran—or any veteran, for that matter—Cameron makes it a point to extend his hand in thanks.

“I go out of my way to do it,” he said.

photos

http://gazettextra.com/photos/galler...rans-remember/

Ellie

A sad,but true accounting, of the experience of many vets! I've always said that those of us who went early in the war,went as defenders of our country,and returned as "Criminals"! Outcasts in the society we had fought to defend! Bitter? You can bet your ass I am!

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sarge.....You hit the nail right on the head! Those of us, who volunteered, especially Corpsmen, came home to a ****ing mess! I had to keep silent, for several years, before I could answer, truthfully, about my experiences, in Nam. He** of a burden, but....you and I, are still speaking out. Bless you!.....SEMPER FI....Doc Greek....OH!...OK, if I add you to my Buddy list??

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    have a question....how many in here did the rat thing....i was just in a sight on the vietnam war...said that the rats recieved special training??? they just handed me a 45 and flashlight and pointed to the tunnel.....also said we recieved hazardous pay??...guess i was riped off on that one...also said we packed granades...who would want to be in one of those cramped tunnels with granades going off...not mee.. i like hearing..and last but not least they said that rats generally did not serve for more then 4 months....guess i did 3 tours duh???....question???? did any of you get in on those good deals????

I pray and hope that SSGT Steve Cameron somehow will be able to read this. Even tho I never went to Nam, in 1969 during a protest march in Oceanside, CA., there was a picture taken of me ontop of a pavillion by the pier "PROUDLY WAVING THE AMERICAN FLAG". I salute him and that flag was waved for all. The Oceanside Library has been trying to find the picture, because I have lost the clipping. It's the possible the picture was posted in the "SCOUT" could someone try to help me. I was stationed at CamPen for 4 yrs, I'm proud that I fought the protestors and the other A-HOLES on that day. I thank all that have suffered during those years, for those who went to nam, I owe my life and my children, grandchildren to ya'll. I will NEVER forget ya'll and I cry for you quite often, your the best and I flag a POW Flag everyday on main street in my small hometown of 450 people. thank you, R. COTTEN 1967-1971 E-4 USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Browell View Post
    A sad,but true accounting, of the experience of many vets! I've always said that those of us who went early in the war,went as defenders of our country,and returned as "Criminals"! Outcasts in the society we had fought to defend! Bitter? You can bet your ass I am!
    Bullseye Bob,you took the words out of my mouth..

Quote Originally Posted by goodtotheend1 View Post
    I pray and hope that SSGT Steve Cameron somehow will be able to read this. Even tho I never went to Nam, in 1969 during a protest march in Oceanside, CA., there was a picture taken of me ontop of a pavillion by the pier "PROUDLY WAVING THE AMERICAN FLAG". I salute him and that flag was waved for all. The Oceanside Library has been trying to find the picture, because I have lost the clipping. It's the possible the picture was posted in the "SCOUT" could someone try to help me. I was stationed at CamPen for 4 yrs, I'm proud that I fought the protestors and the other A-HOLES on that day. I thank all that have suffered during those years, for those who went to nam, I owe my life and my children, grandchildren to ya'll. I will NEVER forget ya'll and I cry for you quite often, your the best and I flag a POW Flag everyday on main street in my small hometown of 450 people. thank you, R. COTTEN 1967-1971 E-4 USMC
    Thanks Cotten,you're trully a Brother...

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When I arrived Home, in late 1969, I was wearing my F.M.F. Corpsman Greens. Had a brace on my left leg, so.....no running from any confrontations! I got hit with tomatoes, eggs, and rocks.....at the airport, in Miami. Stumbled to nearest head, got into a s**t stall, sat, and cried for some time. Gathered myself together, and dug into my Sea bag, to find the only civvies I owned, and had to wait till the A.M., to catch single prop plane, to Naples, Fl. airport. TODAY....I wonder where those protester A******S, are. WE, as returning Viet Nam injured Vets, DESERVE an apology from those PUKES!! I, hold a BIG GRUDGE!! BIG CHIP, ON MY SHOULDER!! Kept my service experiences a secret.....till I tried to off myself, in 1983. Been with the V.A. ever since. GOD...knows "OUR" truth, and I'll trust in HIM, and ME!.....SEMPER FIDELIS.....Doc Greek

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    i hear you Doc...i have an anger in me that just wont go away...i dont want anything from them now..sept maybe that they curl up into the slimeball that they are and just go away...i never spit on them because they were to cowerdly to go

be safe me bros

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Montana....I'm going to make you a friend. Let's NOT agree on everything, makes the discussions much more interesting!!....HAPPY NEW YEAR, SNOWMAN!......SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As I said before, I arrived at the San Diego airport in Winter Greens. Outside of luggage pickup was the 'Gauntlet", A double line of shetbags that were more than happy to spit on ya.........
    I've stayed bitter, no apology down thru the years ever worked. Fuk em,,,,,,,

I came home in April 1968. No one said a word to me. If they had I would have ripped their hearts out through their a$$es. A combat Marine would have. I'm not buying the "they spit on me" stories.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not buyin what???? Like it must be a lie if you weren't there? Yea, you're gonna beat up 40 hippies in an airport. In uniform. Right.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    NO BODY EVER ASKED WHAT GOOD I DID,JUST HOW MANY PEOPLE I KILLED?

Credits
    Savings
    Baby killing **********s! My dying ass!

****'em all.

Woner iffen they have a website like we do or if they have reunions.

Sorry Mother****ers!!

Oh yeah, whoever wasn't verbally and physically harassed upon returning, don't think it did not happen. It ****ing did!!!!!!!

Thread Information