My 16yr son want's to join the Marines - Page 4
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member SmithAdrian's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Was I misinformed in MRP? I thought the cook MOS was dead...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Elias B View Post
    Yes, he is 16 (5'10" 205lbs) and I know he needs to be 17 with diploma, which is what he is working on now. I'm putting him in a program to let him graduate sooner, he dislike school and want to move on with his life.

But as a dad of a 16yr. old boy (17 in 7 months), I love the idea. And know that it's what he wants to do, but should I make him wait another year? I know as of now he doesn’t want to go to college, even though he is a really good football player (LB/FB). And our neighborhood is not the greatest, and I don't want him getting a taco bell job, and hanging around.

I just want to make sure that I'm asking all the right questions and covering every corner, because once you sign, that's a rap

Ee
    Elias,
    Getting right to the point I suggest you talk with your son and ask some questions:

1. Does he have any goals for his life?
    2. What is he going to do for the next 5 years?
    3. Is he prepared to actually change his life forever by signing up? His circle of friends will never be the same?
    During this conversation you should be able to determine if he's just going to hang out until he can do it himself. If so I would encourage you to support his enlisting.
    He sounds a bit like me, college was not in my future (my parents never thought about me going to college), I had no ambition because I didn't have a goal.
    The USMC will make your son a MAN, no doubt about it!

I should mention that I have a 16 year old Grandson who is already talking to a recruiter and asking a lot of questions. For your son, he should have some patience, I know that's difficult these days with instant gratification being the way today. Send him to a recriuter.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Jack1227 read page 3, it's an update to what you have quoted in your post. Update he's now 17 and almost completely enlisted.

Ee

Credits
    Savings

Cook MOS

Not all Marines have a combat MOS, however all are considered basic infantry. Combat deployments also need cooks. The advantage of a
    cook is always getting enough food to eat. We were kept mean and lean
    overseas with no seconds going thru the chow lines. HA Ha

Jack1227 read page 3, it's an update to what you have quoted in your post. Update he's now 17 and almost completely enlisted.

Ee
    Sorry I didn't read all the posts in the forum before I made my post. But the most important part is done, he's a MARINE!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Son denied because he went to adult night school, which they said was an accelerated program.

So he goes to MEMPS, first day all good, over weight two pounds come back after two days. Came back two days later made weight and just needs to **** test and swear in. They put him up in a hotel room over night come in next day to **** test and swear in, take test all good and right before he goes to swear in the Opps manager for that district reviews his paper work for the 3rd time and said because he graduated early, because he went to a continuation school (where he spent 6hrs a day in real class time) and because he went to night school class (real class time) to graduate early (which we thought was a good thing). The operations manager for LA took him from a tier 1 recruit to a tier 2 recruit and the Marines arent taking tier 2 recruits.

Then to add insult to injury, the recruit says that my son should join the army. After working for over a year and dropping 20pds and completing everything with the exception of being sworn in through MEMPS, they tell him you’re a tier 2 recruit and go join the army.

Sickened beyond earthly words, just plan sick…….don’t know what else to say.

im not the guy to give out advice, but making the decision to join up needs some time. Not just three days. I have wanted to join up since i was 14. Im now 17. And im going to MCRD in 2011-2012, Because I dont know if there will be a wait to ship out. Just make sure its what ur kid wants to do, this isn't like a 40 hour a week job where you can quit if you don't like it, you get to quit when your contracts up. Good luck to your son

Son denied because he went to adult night school, which they said was an accelerated program.

So he goes to MEMPS, first day all good, over weight two pounds come back after two days. Came back two days later made weight and just needs to **** test and swear in. They put him up in a hotel room over night come in next day to **** test and swear in, take test all good and right before he goes to swear in the Opps manager for that district reviews his paper work for the 3rd time and said because he graduated early, because he went to a continuation school (where he spent 6hrs a day in real class time) and because he went to night school class (real class time) to graduate early (which we thought was a good thing). The operations manager for LA took him from a tier 1 recruit to a tier 2 recruit and the Marines arent taking tier 2 recruits.

Then to add insult to injury, the recruit says that my son should join the army. After working for over a year and dropping 20pds and completing everything with the exception of being sworn in through MEMPS, they tell him you’re a tier 2 recruit and go join the army.

Sickened beyond earthly words, just plan sick…….don’t know what else to say.
    Elias,

Your son needs to be persistent. Marines admire that. Just because of this one bad experience does not mean your son cannot eventually become a Marine. He needs to talk to other recruiters, and be patient. It might take 6 months, or another year, but he will be given the chance to earn the title if he wants it bad enough.

I faced a similar situation. I was all set up to go to MEPS, went there, stayed in the hotel and all that good stuff, and was denied the next day because of a couple alcohol offenses I had as an 18 year old. I had another friend trying to go in through the same recruiter I had a couple weeks later. The recruiter proceeded to tell my friend to stay away from me, that I was bad news, that I was trouble, etc. When I heard that, I was obviously ****ed and decided to prove this recruiter wrong.

I began calling all the different recruiters to see if they could do anything for me. I didn't have any luck for some time. Then one day, a recruiter from Detroit called me, told me he heard about me, and thought it was BS that I was denied. I made the hour drive to Detroit, met with the recruiter, and a few days later I went through MEPS and had a ship date.

My advice is for your son to contact more recruiters and relay his situation to them, and then take whatever advice they give him and run with it. Persistence will always pay off.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Can he drop the weight & pass a PFT (Not IST)?
    I got my son in on a Medical Waiver and I had to find a recruiter that would work with my son.
    The more you can make him look good (Desirable) the easier it is.

But remember, the recruiter's job is brutal. Do what you can to make it easier on him.

If he still has issues, think about 15 hrs at a Community College

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that your son should not give up!!!
    It's most definitely worth doing whatever it takes.
    Hang in there.
    Jack

Hope you get the situation sorted and your son gets what he wants.

Credits
    Savings
    Ok I couldn't just sit back and let this go, so this is what I did.

I called the Major for that district and told him what had happened, and long story short he said that if what I had told him was true he would speak to the Opperation manager for that area. But that I need to call the Major for the area that my son was recruited out of.

So I tried to get a hold of the Major for the area where my son was recruit out of. The guy answers the phone and he ask me basicly what I needed, I told him and boom. I'm talking to the Opperations manager who denied my son, I didn't think that was going to happen and was a little superprized.

The OM begins to tell me why and how he come up with his decinsion, which was taken into consideration from three different areas. It all came down to his three different high schools and how he ended up graduationg 4 months early. Let's just say the Marines now adays (at least in Southern Cal) do not take kids that might have education issue or any home study program and for sure NO waivers.

I spoke with him for about 30min and explained to him my son's history and the different moves (mainly because of me and football).

Bottom line is, all I need is a letter from his last school about his education and time spent in class, and then he's GOOD TO GO!

Thank GOD!

And thanks everyone for the advise and support to get this kid out of my house, lol.

well congratulations on getting the situation sorted out. i hope he can get through meps and boot camp and become a brother to us.

i graduated boot about 8 months ago so im pretty fresh out. if he has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Semper FI

SEE THE RECRUITER TOGETHER. DON'T RUSH INTO AN OPEN CONTRACT. YOU DO HAVE SOME LEVERAGE JUST TAKE YOUR TIME. SINCE HE IS STILL A MINOR YOU HAVE TO SIGN OFF ON EVERYTHING. HIS MOS (military occupational specialty) COULD MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN HIS CAREER

Ok I couldn't just sit back and let this go, so this is what I did.

I called the Major for that district and told him what had happened, and long story short he said that if what I had told him was true he would speak to the Opperation manager for that area. But that I need to call the Major for the area that my son was recruited out of.

So I tried to get a hold of the Major for the area where my son was recruit out of. The guy answers the phone and he ask me basicly what I needed, I told him and boom. I'm talking to the Opperations manager who denied my son, I didn't think that was going to happen and was a little superprized.

The OM begins to tell me why and how he come up with his decinsion, which was taken into consideration from three different areas. It all came down to his three different high schools and how he ended up graduationg 4 months early. Let's just say the Marines now adays (at least in Southern Cal) do not take kids that might have education issue or any home study program and for sure NO waivers.

I spoke with him for about 30min and explained to him my son's history and the different moves (mainly because of me and football).

Bottom line is, all I need is a letter from his last school about his education and time spent in class, and then he's GOOD TO GO!

Thank GOD!

And thanks everyone for the advise and support to get this kid out of my house, lol.
    Nice, good job on being persistent! Congrats to you and your son.

Thread Information