My 16yr son want's to join the Marines
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

My 16yr son want's to join the Marines

Yes, he is 16 (5'10" 205lbs) and I know he needs to be 17 with diploma, which is what he is working on now. I'm putting him in a program to let him graduate sooner, he dislike school and want to move on with his life.

But as a dad of a 16yr. old boy (17 in 7 months), I love the idea. And know that it's what he wants to do, but should I make him wait another year? I know as of now he doesn’t want to go to college, even though he is a really good football player (LB/FB). And our neighborhood is not the greatest, and I don't want him getting a taco bell job, and hanging around.

I just want to make sure that I'm asking all the right questions and covering every corner, because once you sign, that's a rap

Ee

Are you a former Marine, and why does he want to join??

Have him watch the first part of Full Metal Jacket and let him see what boot-camp is like. If it is something that he really wants and he has put a lot of thought into it, then I would say for him to go for it. Go talk to a recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyracer View Post
    Have him watch the first part of Full Metal Jacket and let him see what boot-camp is like.
    I always wondered what Marines thought about that movie.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First half, very realistic for it's time frame. The 2nd half, stupid commentary.
    Why wait another year? As you said, hangin around ain't good. I'm glad I didn't hang around. Turned 18 after 5 months in.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I would have to agree with the Sgt, "Sparkie"

17 on the streets or 17 in the Corps? Why wait?

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not a former Marine, but wish I was (brother was a Marine). I guess I'm just a little nerves about the whole idea of sending this kid away at 17, but it time to step it up, and step out.

Thanks for all the relpy and advise, be blessed.

Ee

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    I always wondered what Marines thought about that movie.
    We watched that movie at MEPPS the day I shipped off. Scared me to death. Now I realize it is only a movie to be watched in fun. Still the closest thing to it though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My favorite line from the DI in FMJ: "You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece."

My favorite line from the second half: "It's easy. You just don't lead 'em as much."

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    My favorite line from the second half: "It's easy. You just don't lead 'em as much."

Love It !! Use to have that comment said over the radio at least twice during any field op.

As far as the young man, i would really have a sit down with him to understand the type of commitment that he will need to have. But getting him off the streets and into a honorable lifestyle, may be the best way to give him some purpose in life.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do a little research on Jack Lucas. I served with 2 Marines who turned 18 after exactly 1 year of service. Both were fine men and good Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Do a little research on Jack Lucas. I served with 2 Marines who turned 18 after exactly 1 year of service. Both were fine men and good Marines.
    I agree. I went to boot camp, ITR, truck driver school, then to Vietnam with a 17-year old. Damn fine Marine.

Yep, he was 17 when he went to Nam. A little admin error as a result of the whole air group being packed up and shipped ASAP. It was discovered when he walked into the motor pool dispatch shack after about a week in-country and announced it was his 18th birthday.

The Motor T officer got a funny look on his face and disappeared. Within a day, three 17-year old Marines from other sections were sent back to Iwakuni kicking and screaming.

Dennis got to stay. Frankly, if he'd been shipped back I think he would have turned into a stone sh*tbird. He absolutely reveled in being in a combat zone and his performance was top notch.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Turned 18 while in ITR,didn,t hurt at all.now at 56 every thing hurts,still suck it up and keep on going.Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elias B View Post
    I'm not a former Marine, but wish I was (brother was a Marine). I guess I'm just a little nerves about the whole idea of sending this kid away at 17, but it time to step it up, and step out.

Thanks for all the relpy and advise, be blessed.

Ee
    He will be ok at least he picked the Marines you would have to worry if he picked the army.

Credits
    Savings
    lol, roger that

Ee

Elias, check your email.

Thread Information