Birthday Message 2008
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Birthday Message 2008

Birthday Message 2008
    New Release

The Commandant and Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps wish Marines a happy birthday and talk about the Corps' long war with terrorism.

Ellie

2008 Marine Corps Birthday Ball

DVD Information

All requests for a DVD of the commandant's 2008 birthday message from Marine Corps units should be directed to your nearest Combat Visual Information Center (CVIC).

Each of the Recruiting district headquarters will receive a master video to be dubbed for distribution to their respective recruiting stations and substations.

Recruiting stations and recruiting substations shall forward requests for the DVD to their respective district headquarters. Inspector-instructor units forward requests to Marine Forces Reserve, New Orleans, LA. Marine Embassy Security Group detachments forward requests to Marine Corps Embassy Security Group, Marine Corps base Quantico, VA.

HQMC DivPA Community Relations will distribute DVDs to the following headquarters of Veteran’s Service Organizations, Marine Corps League, American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Requests for DVDs from local chapters should be referred to their respective headquarters for copies of the DVD.

Recorded music.

Download traditional birthday ball music. Instructions on how to create compact discs are included.

Marine Hymn

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli,
    We fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea.
    First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean;
    We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine.

Our Flag's unfurled to every breeze from dawn to setting sun.
    We have fought in every clime and place, where we could take a gun.
    In the snow of far off northern lands and in sunny tropic scenes,
    You will find us always on the job, the United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps, which we are proud to serve.
    In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve.
    If the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes,
    they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.

The Marines Prayer

Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose in deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold. If I am inclined to doubt; steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer. Amen.

http://www.marines.mil/usmc/Pages/20...thdayBall.aspx

Ellie

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE - 10 NOVEMBER 2008

Date Signed: 10/10/2008
    ALMAR Number: 042/08
    R 082000z OCT 08
    ALMAR 042/08
    MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CMC//
    SUBJ/UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE - 10 NOVEMBER 2008//
    POC/SSGT M. BELL/ADMIN CHIEF/UNIT:CMC STAFF GROUP/-
    /TEL: (703) 614-2326//
    GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. DURING THE SUMMER OF 1982, IN THE WAKE OF A
    PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE, MARINES WENT ASHORE AT BEIRUT, LEBANON.
    FIFTEEN MONTHS LATER, ON 23 OCTOBER 1983, EXTREMISTS STRUCK THE
    FIRST MAJOR BLOW AGAINST AMERICAN FORCES - STARTING THIS LONG WAR ON TERRORISM. ON THAT SUNDAY MORNING, A SUICIDE BOMBER DROVE AN EXPLOSIVE-LADEN TRUCK INTO THE HEADQUARTERS OF BATTALION LANDING TEAM 1/8, DESTROYING THE BUILDING AND KILLING 241 MARINES AND CORPSMEN.
    2. EXTREMISTS HAVE ATTACKED OUR NATION, AT HOME AND ABROAD,
    NUMEROUS TIMES SINCE THAT FATEFUL DAY IN BEIRUT. THEIR AIM HAS
    ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME - TO KILL AS MANY INNOCENT AMERICANS AS
    POSSIBLE. THE ATTACKS OF 11 SEPTEMBER 2001 CHANGED OUR NATION
    FOREVER, AND OUR PRESIDENT HAS RESOLVED THAT THIS NATION WILL NOT
    STAND IDLE WHILE MURDEROUS TERRORISTS PLOT THEIR NEXT STRIKE.
    MARINES WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE THE FIGHT TO THE ENEMY - HITTING THEM ON THEIR OWN TURF, CRUSHING THEM WHEN THEY SHOW THEMSELVES, AND FINDING THEM WHERE THEY HIDE.
    3. ONLY A FEW AMERICANS CHOOSE THE DANGEROUS, BUT NECESSARY, WORK OF FIGHTING OUR NATION'S ENEMIES. WHEN OUR CHAPTER OF HISTORY IS WRITTEN, IT WILL BE A SAGA OF A SELFLESS GENERATION OF MARINES WHO WERE WILLING TO STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR OUR NATION; TO DEFEND THOSE WHO COULD NOT DEFEND THEMSELVES; TO THRIVE ON THE HARDSHIP AND SACRIFICE EXPECTED OF AN ELITE WARRIOR CLASS; TO MARCH TO THE SOUND OF THE GUNS; AND TO ABLY SHOULDER THE LEGACY OF THOSE MARINES WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE.
    4. ON OUR 233RD BIRTHDAY, FIRST REMEMBER THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND THOSE "ANGELS" WHO HAVE FALLEN - OUR REPUTATION WAS BUILT ON THEIR SACRIFICES. REMEMBER OUR FAMILIES; THEY ARE THE UNSUNG HEROES WHOSE SUPPORT AND DEDICATION ALLOW US TO ANSWER OUR NATION'S CALL. FINALLY, TO ALL MARINES AND SAILORS, KNOW THAT I AM PROUD OF YOU AND WHAT YOU DO. YOUR SUCCESSES ON THE BATTLEFIELD HAVE ONLY ADDED TO OUR ILLUSTRIOUS HISTORY. GENERAL VICTOR H. "BRUTE" KRULAK SAID IT BEST WHEN HE WROTE, "... THE UNITED STATES DOES NOT NEED A MARINE CORPS ... THE UNITED STATES WANTS A MARINE CORPS." YOUR ACTIONS, IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN, AND ACROSS THE GLOBE, ARE AT THE CORE OF WHY AMERICA LOVES HER MARINES.
    5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARINES AND SEMPER FIDELIS! JAMES T. CONWAY,
    GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS//

Squared away for the Marine Corps Ball?

10/10/2008 By Lance Cpl. Monica C. Erickson , Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. — The Marine Corps Birthday Ball is just around the corner, and Marine Corps Community Services’ Military Clothing Sales store, Dry Cleaners and Tailor Shop want to make sure every Marine has their uniform squared away before it is too late.

When a Marine waits until the last minute to check their uniform, they run the risk of having an unserviceable uniform or the clothing store running out of their size.

“The Marine Corps Ball is when all the Marines are really publicized,” said Lance Cpl. Geoff Rapp, a mechanic with Tactical Training Exercise Control Group, who got his uniform dry-cleaned early. “It is important to take time and make sure everything is correct so you don’t show up to the ball looking like crap.”

Donna Miller, the Military Clothing Sales store manager, who has been working there since 1984, says she tries to urge Marines to get their uniforms prepared before it is too late, but normally notices Marines in the store trying to buy their entire uniform 10 days before the actual ball.

“Marines should be checking their uniform at least 30 days before they have to wear it,” said Miller, a Twentynine Palms, Calif., native. “That way if they find out they’re missing something or their uniform doesn’t fit, they have time to fix it.”

The Military Clothing Sales store is already running low on men’s enlisted dress blue blouses, staff noncommissioned officer and officer’s evening dress uniform. They

have also begun mounting medals, which takes seven to 10 days to complete.

“It is hard to accommodate the latecomers,” Miller said. “I will call all around the Marine Corps from Barstow [Calif.,] to Hawaii to see if anyone has the item they need, but it is nearly impossible to get it in their size if they come in too late.”

Marines can also take their uniform items to the Military Clothing Sales store or Dry Cleaners and Tailor Shop to ensure they fit properly.

Kyle Smith, a dry cleaning leader at the Dry Cleaners and Tailor Shop, says they are already beginning to get overloaded with ball items.

“It can take up to three weeks for us to complete a uniform depending on what was needed,” said Smith, a Renton, Wash., native.

Although the time is constantly changing, it takes approximately three days to put chevrons or a blood stripe on a uniform, around two weeks for dry cleaning, and three weeks for tailoring and dry cleaning.

“We always try to stress to the Marines to get their uniforms in early,” Smith said. “As soon as October hits we are slammed. Marines end up going to the ball in their alpha’s because they didn’t get their dress blues into us on time.”

Miller constantly gives tips to Marines and sailors’ regarding uniform preparation to ensure their ball goes as smoothly as possible.

“I tell the Marines to make a checklist of everything they need for the ball,” Miller said. “Especially if the ball is far away. You would be surprised how many Marines called our office from Las Vegas last year to see if anybody could take them something they forgot.”

It is important for Marines, who are going to the ball, to square away their uniform and look their best as they celebrate the birth of the Marine Corps.

Ellie

Attached Images Attached Images

The Scout - Camp Pendleton Newspaper - The Camp Pendleton Scout

233rd Marine Corps birthday message released

Written by Gen. James T. Conway Commandant of the Marine Corps

During the summer of 1982, in the wake of a presidential directive, Marines went ashore at Beirut, Lebanon. Fifteen months later, on 23 October 1983, extremists struck the first major blow against American forces - starting this long war on terrorism. On that Sunday morning, a suicide bomber drove an explosive-laden truck into the headquarters of Battalion Landing Team 1/8, destroying the building and killing 241 Marines and corpsmen.
    Extremists have attacked our nation, at home and abroad, numerous times since that fateful day in Beirut. Their aim has always been the same - to kill as many innocent Americans as possible. The attacks of 11 September 2001 changed our nation forever, and our president has resolved that this nation will not stand idle while murderous terrorists plan their next strike. Marines will continue to take the fight to the enemy - hitting them on their own turf, crushing them when they show themselves and finding them where they hide.
    Only a few Americans choose the dangerous, but necessary, work of fighting our nation's enemies.

When our chapter of history is written, it will be a saga of a selfless generation of Marines who were willing to stand up and fight for our nation; to defend those who could not defend themselves; to thrive on the hardship and sacrifice expected of an elite warrior class; to march to the sound of the guns; and to ably shoulder the legacy of those Marines who have gone before.
    On our 233rd birthday, first remember those who have served and those "angels" who have fallen - our reputation was built on their sacrifices. Remember our families; they are the unsung heroes whose support and dedication allow us to answer our nation's call. Finally, to all Marines and sailors, know that I am proud of you and what you do. Your successes on the battlefield have only added to our illustrious history. Lieutenant General Victor H. "Brute" Krulak said it best when he wrote," ... the United States does not need a Marine Corps ... the United States wants a Marine Corps." Your actions, in Iraq and Afghanistan and across the globe, are at the core of why America loves her Marines.

Happy Birthday, Marines!
    Semper Fidelis.

Happy birthday, U.S. Marines

November 7, 2008

November is again upon us and my mind turns to the upcoming 233rd anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps. It was during 1775, that by a resolution of the Continental Congress, the Marine Corps came into existence. Then as now, young people take the path less traveled and join your Marine Corps. Clean cut and of lean personal appearance, they are barely recognizable as the often unkempt high school or college seniors of the year before.

The Marine Corps' motto is "Semper Fidelis," which is Latin and means "Always Faithful." Your Marines work very hard to bring meaning to that motto. As the season of holidays and family gatherings begins, take a moment to remember that somewhere, away from home and often in harm's way, Marines are on duty.

Nov. 10 is the birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps. Happy birthday, Marines.

R.L. Tedesco

Major USMC (Retired)

Woodbury

Exclamation

CAMP PENDLETON CELEBRATES THE MARINE CORPS’ 233RD BIRTHDAY

Written by Camp Pendleton Scout

Even though the base theater lost power, Marines, sailors and honored guests still gathered to remember the history of the Marine Corps and honor the men and women who have served before them, Nov. 4.
    The pageant featured Marines describing the importance of key eras while wearing the uniforms of the time. Such eras include the Revolutionary War, Tripoli and the War of 1812, World War I and II, and Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
    The 2008 Marine Corps Base and I Marine Expeditionary Force Birthday Pageant commemorating the 233rd birthday of the Marine Corps incorporated Marines from every major command at Camp Pendleton to reflect on the Corps’ achievements and legacies such as the implementation of Marine Corps birthday ceremonies.

The formal commemoration of the birthday of the Marine Corps began Nov. 10, 1921. That particular date was chosen because on that day in 1775 the Second Continental Congress resolved to raise two battalions of Continental Marines.
    On Nov. 1, 1921, Maj. Gen. John A. Lejeune issued Marine Corps Order No. 47, Series 1921. The order summarized the history, mission and tradition of the Corps, and directed that it be read to every command Nov. 10 each subsequent year in honor of the birthday of the Marine Corps.
    The first so-called “Birthday Ball,” such as suggested by Major McClellan, was probably held in 1925 in Philadelphia. No records have been located of one prior to 1925. The principle event was the unveiling of a tablet on the site of Tun Tavern.
    Traditionally, the first piece of birthday cake is presented to the oldest Marine present and the second piece to the youngest Marine present. This passing of the cake symbolizes the uniting of the old with the young.

Ellie

Marines............ For 233 glorious years of our Corps, Happy Birthday. Semper Fi

Happy birthday, U.S. Marine Corps

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The Air Force salutes the Marine Corps on its 233nd birthday Nov. 10.

Originally founded on Nov. 10, 1775, the Marine Corps was composed mainly of infantrymen serving aboard Navy ships. They were primarily responsible for the security of the ship, offensive and defensive boarding parties. They also helped protect the ship's officers from mutiny.

In 1921, Marine Gen. John A. Lejeune issued Marine Corps Order No. 47, Series 1921 that directed the history, traditions and mission of the Marine Corps to be read to all Marines on Nov. 10 to honor the service's creation. And in 1925, the first formal Marine Corps Birthday Ball was held in Philadelphia.

Today, the Marines Corps is an amphibious expeditionary force that also support missions from the White House and the State Department.

Semper Fi and happy birthday.

Download Full Image | E-mail a friend
    http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?id=123123055

Ellie

Highlighting the Corps

The New York Post
    November 8, 2008

When it comes to American icons, it’s hard to beat the Empire State Building and the United States Marine Corps.

So why are the folks who run the famous building treating the storied corps so shabbily?

That is, why are they delivering a world-class snub on the occasion of the 233rd anniversary of the corps’ founding, at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia?

Marine tradition holds Nov. 10 in high esteem. The date will be noted all around the world Monday - most especially, in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It’ll even be celebrated in New York, with the city’s first-ever Expeditionary Birthday Ball.

Scheduled to be on hand are 200 Marines from the decorated 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, now visiting New York aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bataan.

But when the Corps asked to have the Empire State Building’s iconic tower lit in scarlet and gold to celebrate the occasion, they got a big, fat “No!”

In favor of . . . well, nothing.

The building’s color scheme, of course, changes on nearly a nightly basis. So far this year, it’s been lit up to celebrate the Cat Fancier’s Association’s annual Cat Championship; Mariah Carey’s latest album, and the 58th anniversary of the European Union - just to name a few, er, momentous occasions.

But on Monday, it’ll be bathed in plain ol’ white.

Building officials say an anniversary as obscure as a 233rd doesn’t meet their “standard” for lighting events.

Nothing against cats, or Mariah Carey, but this doesn’t seem quite right.

The fact is, many of the men of the 22nd MEU are in New York for the first time in their lives.

The War on Terror being what it is, it’s likely that some of them won’t be back.

Ever. If you catch our drift.

It’s not too late for the folks at the Empire State Building to do right by the Marine Corps on its birthday.

Marines do right by America, reflexively, every day of the year.

Ellie

Exclamation Landstuhl Marines celebrate birthday

Landstuhl Marines celebrate birthday

By Steve Mraz, Stars and Stripes
    European edition, Saturday, November 8, 2008

LANDSTUHL, Germany — Tradition was upheld Friday afternoon at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center as the U.S. Marine Corps celebrated its 233rd birthday.

A full crowd at Landstuhl’s Heaton Auditorium watched as the Marines paid tribute to their heritage with cake, a video from the Marine Corps commandant and a guest speech.

As is custom, the first piece of cake is presented to the guest of honor. Then, the oldest Marine on hand takes a bite from a piece of cake, which is then passed to the youngest Marine in attendance. On Friday, retired Marine Cpl. Truman "Goody" Goodwin, 73, was the guest of honor and the oldest Marine present.

Before taking the first bite of cake, Goodwin, who has volunteered with the Marine liaison team at Landstuhl, gave a speech.

"I’ve been here now for over four years working for them and working with the people in the hospital, and I feel it’s a great privilege," he said. "To all the Marines, Air Force, Army and Navy, I want to tell you God bless, good luck and Semper Fi."

At 21, Lance Cpl. Johnathon Neumann was the youngest Marine on hand. Neumann, who was serving in Iraq, is an outpatient at Landstuhl. He’s one of nine Marines getting treatment at Landstuhl.

"(The Marine Corps birthday) represents what we are in a way," he said. "It represents our heritage, our honor."

This year’s video birthday message from Gen. James Conway, Marine Corps commandant, and USMC Sgt. Maj. Carlton Kent was a somber reminder of the challenges Marines face against terrorists. It began with a 25-year retrospective on the October 1983 bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. The seven-minute video then touched on attacks against American troops and civilians such as the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia, the 2000 U.S.S. Cole bombing in Yemen and the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Standing between our great nation and its ruthless enemy are young Americans with courage and conviction — United States Marines," Conway said in the video. "We are accustomed to rough terrain and even tougher conditions. We have learned to live hard and fight well."

The video closed with a messaged to Marine families, following a militarywide trend of recognizing families strained by constant deployments.

After the formal ceremony ended, the crowd dug into the Marine cake and sipped punch.

The Marine Corps birthday is Monday.

Ellie

Happy birthday, Marines
    Comments 0 | Recommend 1
    November 8, 2008 - 3:11PM
    MOLLY K. DEWITT
    DAILY NEWS STAFF

It all started at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia on Nov. 10, 1775.

Two hundred and thirty-three years later, the Marine Corps celebrated another birthday in traditional fashion aboard Camp Lejeune Friday with a rededication of the national and Marine Corps Colors, a cake cutting ceremony and a procession of Marine Corps uniforms from 1775 to present day.

On that November day so many years ago the Marine Corps was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Captain Samuel Nicholas was named the first Commandant of the Marine Corps and Robert Mullan was appointed to raise two companies of Marines. Mullan was the proprietor of Tun Tavern, so it was there that the very first Continental Marines were recruited and the way in which it became the birthplace of the Marine Corps.

"Since that date many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are marines should commemorate the birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history," wrote Gen. John A. Lejeune in a 1921 birthday message read aloud at the ceremony.

In another birthday message read aloud during the ceremony Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, wrote that today's Marines should remember those who came before them.

"On our 233rd birthday, first remember those who have served and those "angels" who have fallen - our reputation was built on their sacrifices," he wrote. "...To all Marines and sailors, know that I am proud of you and what you do. Your successes on the battlefield have only added to our illustrious history."

As is tradition, the oldest and youngest Marines attending the ceremony shared the first piece of birthday cake.

This year's cake recipients were celebrating their first and last Marine Corps birthdays, respectively.

Master Gunnery Sgt. Ronald Ross was the oldest Marine in attendance and said he was honored to be part of the ceremony because after serving 29 years in the Corps, this would be his last birthday celebration on active duty.

"(The ceremony) commemorates 233 years that the Marine Corps has not only been in existence but also the many lives we have saved for America and the many lives that have been lost since the Marine Corps (was formed)," Ross said.

The youngest Marine, Pfc. Matthew Kramer who enlisted in the Marine Corps in June, said being a part of the birthday ceremony was "amazing" and "astonishing."

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he said. "Me being a brand new Marine into the Marine Corps I can't even express the amount of honor that comes with this."

Kramer was impressed with the ceremony saying he thought it was put together and planned well.

Conway concluded his message by quoting another Marine.

"Lt. Gen. Victor H. ‘Brute' Krulak said it best when he wrote, ‘...The United States does not need a Marine Corps ... The United States wants a Marine Corps.' Your actions, in Iraq and Afghanistan and across the globe, are at the core of why America loves her Marines," he wrote.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow government reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie

November 9, 2008

Notable moments in Marines history

The Desert Sun

How the Corps began

On Nov. 10, 1775, the Continental Congress passed a resolution stating that “two battalions of Marines be raised” for service as landing forces with the American fleet. This established the Continental Marines and marked the birth of the United States Marine Corps.

Serving on land and at sea, early Marines distinguished themselves in a number of important operations, including their first amphibious raid on foreign soil in the Bahamas in March 1776, under the command of the Corps' first commandant, Capt. Samuel Nicholas.

The 1783 Treaty of Paris ended the Revolutionary War and as the last of the Navy's ships were sold, the Continental Navy and Marines disbanded.

Following the formal re-establishment of the Marine Corps on July 11, 1798, Marines fought in conflicts with France, landed in Santo Domingo and conducted operations against the Barbary pirates along the “Shores of Tripoli,” Lebanon.

Notable moments in history

War of 1812: Marines participated in numerous operations, including the defense of Washington at Bladensburg, Md. They also fought alongside Andrew Jackson in the defeat of the British at New Orleans.

Mexican-American War (1846-1848): While landing parties of Marines and sailors were seizing enemy ports on both the Gulf and Pacific coasts, a battalion of Marines joined Gen. Winfield Scott's army at Pueblo and marched and fought all the way to the “Halls of Montezuma,” Mexico City.

Civil War (1861-1865): Although most Marine Corps service during the Civil War was with the Navy, a battalion fought at Bull Run, and other units saw action with blockading squadrons at Cape Hatteras, New Orleans, Charleston and Ft. Fisher.

Early 1900s: Following the Spanish-American War in 1898, Marines fought during the Philippine Insurrection, the Boxer Rebellion in China, in Nicaragua, Panama, The Dominican Republic, Cuba, Mexico and Haiti.

World War I (1914-1918): Marines distinguished themselves on the battlefields of France, as the 4th Marine Brigade earned the title of “Devil Dogs” for actions at Belleau Wood, Soissons, St. Michiel, Blanc Mont and the final Muesse-Argonne offensive. Marine aviation, which began in 1912, was used for the first time in a close-air support role during World War I. More than 309,000 Marines served in France and more than a third were killed or wounded.

World War II (U.S. involvement 1941-1945): Marines played an integral role in the U.S. war in the Pacific with Japan, including in the battles of Guadalcanal, Saipan, Tarawa, Tinian and Okinawa. During fierce combat on Iwo Jima, five Marines and one Navy corpsman's raising of the American flag on Mount Suribachi became an iconic image in U.S. history. Of the 27 U.S. military personnel awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions on Iwo Jima, 23 went to Marines.

Korean War (1950-1953): The 1st Marine Division led the first major United Nations strike in North Korean territory, with a surprise amphibious assault at Inchon. All told for the war, Marines suffered more than 30,000 casualties and more than 4,500 died in Korea. Forty-two Marines were awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism above and beyond the call of duty in Korea; 27 of these awards were posthumous.

Vietnam (1959-1975): The landing of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade at Da Nang in 1965 marked the beginning of a large-scale Marine involvement in Vietnam. By the summer of 1968, after the enemy's Tet Offensive, Marine Corps strength in Vietnam rose to about 85,000. The Marine withdrawal began in 1969 as the South Vietnamese began to assume a larger role in the fighting. The last ground forces left Vietnam by June 1971.

The Vietnam War, the longest in the history of the Marine Corps, led to more than 13,000 Marines killed and 88,000 wounded.

The Gulf War (1990-1991): The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in August 1990 led to the largest movement of Marine forces since World War II. From August 1990 to January 1991, 24 infantry battalions, 40 squadrons (more than 92,000 Marines) deployed to the Persian Gulf as part of Operation Desert Shield. The air campaign of Operation Desert Storm began Jan. 16, 1991, followed by the main overland attack Feb. 24 when the 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions breached the Iraqi defense lines and stormed into occupied Kuwait. Meanwhile, the threat from the sea in the form of Marine Expeditionary Brigades held 50,000 Iraqis in check along the Kuwait coast. By the morning of Feb. 28, 100 hours after the ground war began, the Iraqi army was no longer a threat.

1992-1994: The Marine Corps played important roles in humanitarian missions to Somalia, enforcing a no-fly zone over Bosnia-Herzegovina and evacuating U.S. citizens from war-torn Rwanda.

2003-present: Marines have served prominently in both the Iraq war and the war in Afghanistan. Marines' capturing of Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit ended the invasion phase of the Iraq war in 2003.

Ellie

Happy Birthday Marines-Nov10
    Posted By Maj Pain

There is no greater joy than to serve. If its to serve your family,a beliefe or especially your country, there is no greater joy than to serve. Its not for everybody and its not for profit. Many will never understand what the term “serv” comes with as far as dedication, devotion or sacrifice.

Marines don’t join the Marines to be marginal or to meet the staus quo. Marines join to be the best and the American people will expect nothing less.
    Iraq, present day.

Two young Marines are standing guard outside an Iraqi police station. They barely know one another but discuss things during their shift that young Marines discuss. With another dozen Marines conducting training within the police station and another two dozen Iraqi policemen as well, the two young Marines vigilantly stand guard.

As the day progresses and the constant threat of attack is in the area, a large dump truck approaches the police station entry point at high speed. Punching through the initial barriers that are positioned to slow attacking vehicles, the two young Marine take immediate action and begin putting accurate M16 fire into the windshield. One of the Marines initiates 50 cal fire into the cab of the truck tearing it to shreds. As the truck slows and stops, the automatic trigger established within the truck detonates the 12 tons of explosives within its carriage. The 2 Marines never knew what hit them and died as a result of the blast.

Afterwards, the Iraqi Police chief asked the Marines commanding officer, “why didn’t your Marines run? My men ran as they knew of the immediate danger” The commanding officer said, they were on guard and protecting along with your men, a dozen of their brothers within the building. They are Marines, they aren’t going to run. With tears in the police chief’s eyes, he said I don’t understand you Marines. The dedication, devotion or sacrifice…………..”They are Marines, they aren’t going to run”.

To all of my brothers, present and past, there is no greater call than to serve and no greater force to serve with than the nation’s best. If it was easy to join the Marine Corps, we wouldn’t be the Marines.

Semper Fidelis and Happy Birthday brothers. (Nov 10)

Maj Pain

(I smoked a nice Partagas Black cigar during this post. Fitting, only the best for a birthday party)

Ellie

Another year older
    As birthday celebrations pass, the Corps still faces challenges

Posted : Monday Nov 10, 2008 6:17:55 EST

Marines around the world came together this past weekend to commemorate the 233rd Marine Corps Birthday on Nov. 10. As always, it was a party to remember. But the Corps’ birthday serves also as an opportunity to reflect and look ahead.

This year’s ball may be over, but as the haze begins to lift and the Marine Corps Hymn finally quits rattling the inside of your head, it is important to not lose sight of the significant events from the past year that will continue to shape your Corps in the year to come.

Hostilities in Iraq have decreased dramatically, prompting the pullout from hard-fought Anbar province and the recent handover of an uninviting landmark: Camp Fallujah. But as tensions ease in one region, fighting grows in another.

Afghanistan, it seems, is all anyone talks about these days, and the Corps’ role there will almost certainly grow before long.

And though they are no longer here to celebrate another year in the Corps, the 60 Marines and corpsmen who have died in combat since last Nov. 10 will forever be a part of its legacy. As Commandant Gen. James Conway said in this year’s birthday message, your “reputation was built on their sacrifices.”

For as long as the world is an unstable place, Marines will continue to operate at home and abroad with the high standards befitting their title. It’s dangerous business, but since 1775 they’ve always thrived on the challenge.

So to all Marines past and present, wherever you might be: happy 233rd — and Semper Fi.

— Joe Bush

Thread Information