New to this - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to this

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Did he graduate? I thought the Corps wanted high school graduates.

Yes, he graduated in May and was gone in November to boot camp. But really it's all good. It's gonna be hard don't get me wrong, but well worth seeing how proud your son is for what he's accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by breezyseaz View Post
    Hi Carolyn, I'm still debating this..I would sign tomorrow and he would go to MEPS Tuesday. Did you have very long to think about it..I have had 3 days and not much time to talk to my son he's been at work and I feel forced to sign so quick. I really hate to say no cause I do support him but this 3 day time period is getting to me...
    Update?

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    My son joined the DEP during the middle of his junior year when he was 17. He knew and I knew that this is what he wanted. If I hadn't signed for him, he would have signed himself the day he turned 18. I supported him 110% and it turned out to be the best decision he has made, thus far. Good luck to you.

Update...I thought of doing this when I got up this morning... My son said it was ok for me to have a little time to think about this..he says he understands how I feel....we had talked back in the summer about his friend that was doing the Army boot camp for a month and I had told him I thought that people should wait till they were out of high school and get a feel for life for maybe a year. So I feel sure I will sign for him..I guess I'm just trying to delay hoping he will change his mind like he has so many times before. Or that maybe he would choose something other than infantry..other than that I don't know why I don't just go sign..I think about it constantly.

Now I do have a question.. what other than the prep do you get out of joining DEP?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    breezyseaz, I think if you do a search for Poolee events in the Pool(ee) Hall, you'd see some of the stuff Poolees do while in the DEP. That whole section might be a good resource for you, too, in addition to the Parents section.

I have a friend who is in third phase (joshtky here) at Parris Island and I've been emailing his mom back and forth the past month or so. Josh is 26 and she's just as worried about him as you are about your 17 year old son. You are so not alone in this.

Thanks quill, It is very hard. I'll be doing ok and then look at him and get all teary again or just start thinking a little about him going. I know in the long haul I will be very proud of him..he is a great kid. I hope I am able to handle it a little better day by day..I'm not as big a mess as I was a couple of days ago. I wish your friends mom all the best and that God eases some of her worry.

I have a question..

I have tried too look for the answers but I can't find them...

1. When you sign up for DEP do you have to do MEPS immediately afterwards or can you have a while?
    2. What would my son learn in Infantry?

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge about these things but if I don't ask I will never know.

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by breezyseaz View Post
    I have tried too look for the answers but I can't find them...

1. When you sign up for DEP do you have to do MEPS immediately afterwards or can you have a while?
    2. What would my son learn in Infantry?

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge about these things but if I don't ask I will never know.
    My son went to MEPS when he first signed up for the DEP, in his junior year of High School. He then went back the day before leaving for Boot Camp which was a year or so later from his first visit to MEPS.

My son is Infantry, he is an 0313 LAV Crewman. I can't really explain what he has learned so far, a lot of what he tells me I don't understand anyway, but he is very patient in trying to help me understand.... I just know that he loves his job and is very motivated!

Ma'am,

In response to your questions, no, he doesn't have to go to MEPS immediately although going doesn't make it mandatory that he ships to boot camp. Up until that moment he gets on the bus to go to PI/SD, he's still a civilian and can change his mind.

Marine Corps infantry is the "Tip of the Spear" to use a common term. They are the first to the fight and can deploy anywhere in the world in under 24 hours (just as every other Marine can). His primary mission will be to locate, close with and destroy the enemy through fire and maneuver and repel the enemy assault through fire and close combat. Basically, he'll learn to become a ferocious warrior in the modern day sense of the word. Military tactics and close quarters combat, learn how to direct fields of fire, call for air support, use of terrain for cover and concealment, land navigation and how to operate the many different weapons that Marine infantry uses.

Now, this knowledge is not exactly transferable to many jobs in the civilian world if he decides to leave the Marine Corps before retirement. However, having United States Marine on any job application is certainly a bonus in the civilian world.

Hope this helped!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    0231 MARINE that was an excellent reply! Thankyou sir

No worries!

Thread Information