New to this - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to this

Both of my son's, my only children, left the same day for boot camp...it is a choice they made, with my 100% backing. I wanted them to be the best trained, have someone to carry them out if they were injured or killed and be part of a truly great brotherhood. I miss them very much...my home is quiet and empty, but my grocery bill is lower :o) Every ounce of doubt will be taken away when you see him in his uniform standing proud and tall on graduation day. If you need a chat, please feel free to e-mail me...been there done that and have the very proud Marine Mom moto shirts...lol At the end of the day, it really is his choice...nothing us Mom's can do but write letters and hope for a weekend like this, where I have BOTH of them home :o) I had no idea my youngest would be in from Lejeune and he walked up behind me and scared the bejeezus out of me :o)

Welcome to the Marine Family!

Thanks..it really does help to talk to someone. You seem to cope quite well. I'm sure I will get there with time..thanks so much for saying I can email..and I will...it really means alot. I do have a few questions.
    What a exciting surprise your son gave you!! How happy you must feel to have them home for the weekend. Enjoy them and hug them..I know you will.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    anita, your feelings are completely natural.you have been taking care of your boy his whole life and now he is going on his own.joining the Marines is huge for him and it will pay off.what you are going through now is tough,and i hate to say it will probably get worse when he is in PI.there is alot of support here dont be afraid to use it.

be damnproud

Thanks so much Damnproud!!! I have only had 3 days to think about signing the DEP papers and I think that is making a little harder too..no time to think. I figured it would get harder when that time comes.
    Is there anything I should let him know about PI?? Any good books out there?
    I know one thing I hope there aren't many butterflies there he has a panic when one is near him...lol

Credits
    Savings
    anita ,"MAKING THE CORPS" by thomas ricks is a good book.it will give you a little insight of what he will go through at PI. YOU WILL BE FINE!

Thanks..is there any truth to those e books you see online about prepare for boot camp? And should he be learning the marine hymn and things like that before hand?

Quote Originally Posted by breezyseaz View Post
    Thanks..is there any truth to those e books you see online about prepare for boot camp? And should he be learning the marine hymn and things like that before hand?
    I'm sure all the knowledge will help. But, what my boy concentrated on was getting strong as he could. Our recruiter pointed out that if you go down there and struggle with the PT, it only adds more to the stress level.

He got him a chin up bar and a gym membership. And he ran.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe its not so out of the blue if you reflect back on your son's life. I know for me that back in the fourth grade we had a teacher that read us Bible chapters each morning. I usually zoned out except when King David was routing the Philistines or during Joshua's assault on Jericho. I perked up then!

I was always reading war comics like Sgt Rock and watching war drama on television. Not just that either, my personality had me standing up for kids that were picked on by bullies.

So my folks were concerned but not too surprised when I enlisted.

dono, He is doing that... works out, runs, he can do about 12 chin ups I think, said the crunches are hard though..he is trying to prepare physically, I hear the mental is pretty tough too..

A chin up bar for home is a good idea tho..maybe I'll go get one of those..
    Thanks for anwering and not getting tired of me..

yellowwing, you are right...it might not be as much out of the blue as I think..he has mentioned it before, at one time he was thinking of being a army ranger, and he loved playing socom when he was a few years younger, and he does watch a lot of war things on tv..and he knows I always supported the troops and sent care packages etc. and that I think highly of the job the military does....I don't know that I could be so brave.
    Thanks

You asked about the online resources. Some of them are good, some are not. Send him to our poolee hall and ask a Marine sections and he can learn all he needs to know. A search of those forums should give him more information that he could ever hope to have.

Thanks Echo..will do.

Credits
    Savings
    hi breezy, my son was 17 when i signed the papers and people asked me at work why I did, I told him he's gonna do it when he's 18 anyway at least he knows he has my full support. It does sound like the DEP program which is what my son joined also, however, do be prepared for him to leave early as that can happen also. My son was due to leave on Feb 4th and went in on Nov 3, 3 months early. He's done well in the Marine Corps and last July he reenlisted. Just support him and come here to ask your questions. He's gonna have a lot on his mind and hopefully won't be too worried about MOM.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, I'm still debating this..I would sign tomorrow and he would go to MEPS Tuesday. Did you have very long to think about it..I have had 3 days and not much time to talk to my son he's been at work and I feel forced to sign so quick. I really hate to say no cause I do support him but this 3 day time period is getting to me...

Quote Originally Posted by counterchick View Post
    My son was due to leave on Feb 4th and went in on Nov 3, 3 months early. He's done well in the Marine Corps and last July he reenlisted. Just support him and come here to ask your questions. He's gonna have a lot on his mind and hopefully won't be too worried about MOM.

Carolyn
    Did he graduate? I thought the Corps wanted high school graduates.

Thread Information