Martial arts belt??? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    No worries! Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchell View Post
    It is the MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program), belt.

Throughout your time in you have different opportunities to improve and move up in belts.

That is "IF" your are lucky enough to have a job that allows you time. Personally I think the MCMAP stuff is garbage ever since it came out in 2001. The "instructors" at your unit are your buddy to your left and right that have been to the instructor course.

The belts are nothing more then a check box on your record. Saddly, they just became a big deal for promotions, more so SNCO and above. The 08 SSgt selection board notes listed "Green belt instructor" as one of the key things they were looking for, that's great and dandy for those who don't have a deploying MOS and sit around in the rear all day with nothing to do.

The MCMAP program is such a shame that units have started attempting to crunch in mock courses to get everyone up to a certain belt level before "x" amount of days or "xxxxx" date deadline. This is something that stems down from MEF levels. The shame of it is that on the unit level they don't give a rats ass, just make sure it's complete before the deadline. Because of that attitude towards the program I've seen what should technically be a 2 weeks intructional course for a belt turn into a 2 day goat rope event of just going through some motions to get a signature on the paper. It isn't the instructor's fault, it's the Marine Corps and the unit's fault.

Making things such as annual training a prereq for promotion is wonderful because there is time allocated for such things, but when it starts to stem to down things that are not as strictly regulated such as MCMAP then you end up seeing pen-whipped certificates in the masses just to get them in before the physical year so "no one's name is on the no-go list and effects the unit stats".

Ending my rant.

Don't get me wrong on the actual fundamentals of MCMAP, it's not bad and it works if it's applied and the Marine actually has time allocated to sustain the training so they don't forget it.

I wore a tan belt for 7 years proudly, the same one too. Didn't actually have allocated time to advance until 6 months before my EAS at which time it became pointless other then to have the "check in the box" effect for the stats because I was in the rear at the time.

Thread Information