I want to be a Pilot
Create Post

I want to be a Pilot

a big hello to all at leatherneck.com! this is my first post on the boards, hopefully the start of many. I WANT TO BE A MARINE!!!! the only problem i have is that, i also have a great desire to become a hellicopter pilot. I have been told not to go into the Marines for this, but coast guard or air force (i humored them, but its being a Marine that keeps me away from other branches.) I am have 2 years left of highschool, and was wondering what it will take for me to become a pilot. Is there any type of preperation i can now? what MOS should i go in to (assuming i wont be an officer when i join) do i go to college first, or wait for the Marines to pay for that? -I have so many more questions, but i dont want to bother you too much just yet! Thanks,

Devin

First of all, welcome aboard. This place is full of information that you'll find useful in your journey to becoming a United States Marine. You sound pretty motivated... that's always a plus.

Keep in mind that I am not a Recruiter, or even a Marine. I'll just pass along what I have been told. The Marine Corps does have helicopters (Cobras, Sea Stallions, Sea Knights.) From what I have been told, you have to be an Officer in order to be a Marine pilot, as opposed to being a Warrent Officer in the Army. That means you'll need to get a college degree.

There are several decisions for you to make as you figure out how to become an Officer of Marines: PLC, OCC, OCS, ROTC, the Naval Academy, Reserves during college, AD first, GI Bill, ROTC scholarships, blah, blah, blah. I would suggest contacting your OSO (Officer Selection Officer) and discuss the different options that are open to you.

Good luck, and check out the other forums around this place.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Things happen fast at your age, young lad! It will be years before you will be able to test yourself on being a Marine.

Right now I would focus on what you can do now. Be the best community leader that you can be. If you are in the Boy Scouts, concentrate on Eagle Scout.

Prove yourself now on leadership. Look at you local community. Where can you contribute and belong? Where can you make a difference? Rotatarians, Masons, Chamber of Commerce?

Keep fit and stay out of trouble. Listen to the sage advice of other Veterans who have made the same path you desire.

First. Read the POOL-ee and Marine Mentor forums. You got some time, I figger. You'll find a lot of information that will be helpful to you. All of your questions have already been asked or answered.

Please read everything in the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums. You''ll find you didn't know there was so much to know, and it will save us hearing questions we've all heard a hundred times. It will also keep you from hearing folks get mad at you cause we've heard those questions a hundred times! LOL

We're here to help, but ya gotta meet us at least half way.

For now. Keep yer grades up, stay outta trouble and start gettin' in shape....there are several references on this site to how to prepare for the IST and the ASVAB on this site.

If ya have trouble finding threads or references here, let me know.

Also pay attention to the other POOL-ees, DEPers and wannabes who've been here for awhile. They got the word on how this place works and they'll help keep ya outta trouble and on the right path.

You just found the best place in the world to learn about the Marine Corps and how things really work! I ain't ****tin' ya!

Listen and learn and you'll be a quantum leap ahead of everyone else when ya hit recruit training.

s. Bones

Cobra,
    I have met serveral pilots in my time, but I only knew one before he was a pilot. So, I will tell you what it is he did. the Marine I am speaking of enlisted in the Reserves and shipped to Recruit Training within days of graduation from high school. While in the Reserve he completed his college degree and applied for OCS. He thinks that he was looked upon more favorably because he was already a Marine, and because his service record was as clean as they come. After graduation from college he went off to OCS and the basic school, flight school... all the rest. He is currently flying F/A-18's for the World's 911 Force.
    I guess my point is, if you want it, you can get it. Keep your dream in mind in all the decisions you make over the next six years or so, and you will find yourself right where you want to be.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    xCobraX;

"I have been told not to go into the Marines for this, but coast guard or air force."

I LOVE listening to advice from people who think they have all the answers.

My question for today is:

How many members are in each service?

How many helocopter pilots are in each service?

What is the percentage of helocopter pilots in each service?

The first poolee who answers the question correctly will receive an "attaboy" and will be able to amaze his know-it-all friends.

The answer for "How many Marines are in the Marine Corps" is on this site.

The question is: Does the kid want to be a Marine? He can find the information to help him answer that question on this site as well.

Bones

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First things first. You need to want to be a Marine! Everyone who wears the Eagle, Globe and Anchor is a Marine first and their MOS second. Enough said.

To be a pilot of any kind you will need a four-year college degree. Even with that, you will need to pass a flight physical which is very demanding.

I'll make this one short:

Why not join enlisted to be a Helo Mechanic, get your college degree paid for by the Corps and then apply for a commission and aviation program? This way someone else pays for your college, you have knowledge of the aircraft and a technical skill to fall back on if things don't work out and you will actually be part of the aviation community.

It is too early to know whether you will qualify for a pilot position in the Corps. At a minimum, you may want to go reserves while you go to college if you don't go active duty right out of High School.

SIXGUNS

At the moment I'm at the Naval Academy Summer Seminar and only have as much time as it takes for the midshipman leading us back to redbeach to go to our next workshops to get there. So, please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors and understand that I'm trying to tell you as much as I possibly can.

Sunday we had a career opportunities brief. One of the briefs was on Marines and another on Navy/Marine Corps Aviation. The thing that sets the Marine Officer pilots apart from the Naval Aviators (from what I understood at the briefing) is that all Marine Officers have a common bond: they attend TBS and they're a United States Marine.

As far as flying goes ... understand that the standards are tough. That's an MOS that practically everyone wants. ... sort of like going JAG Corps. It's not impossible to get in, but make your resume look as good as it possibly can. Keep your grades up. PT. Work on leadership.

... oh, gotta go.

I'm outta here. Good luck.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    just do your best and Semper Fi

Thread Information