On Memorial Day ...
Create Post

On Memorial Day ...

My family was going to have a bbq today but rounding up the flock proved to be an impossible task. So, I went to a veteran's cemetary with a Boy Scout troop and placed American flags on the graves. After several hours when the boys and I had made sure that every grave was marked with a flag we were able to stand at the top of the hill and see hundreds of little American flags waving in the wind.

It was neat to be able to read the graves of so many former service members. ... makes me glad that I'll soon have the opportunity to carry on their work.

So, pool-ees and wannabes, what'd you do on Memorial Day?

This isn't about my Memorial Day, but it's about a regular day that, for me, was made into a day of remembering. I was lucky enough to be chosen to attend a trip to Washington, D.C. through the NRA last June. We unexpectedly stopped by the Iwo Jima Memorial (we were ahead of schedule and were in the area.) It was amazing. Everyone on that trip knew that I'm a wannabee Hard Charger, and as we were walking around the Memorial, so many of them just looked at me, without saying a word. It was like, all of a sudden, they realized why I talk about our country, and my future service to Her, with such passion.

We also spent about 4 hours at Arlington National Cemetery. I had planned on walking around alone, but I ended up going around with the only other future Marine out of the 40 of us (two future Jarheads out of about 30-35 teens who are either in JROTC, or plan on joining the military??). It was amazing. He truly was a kindred spirit. Where some of the other people in the Cemetery (who made it hard for us to keep our lunches in our stomachs) just saw the grave of someone they knew or were related to and a bunch of other rocks, when we looked out at those graves... both of us had to wipe away a lot of eyeball sweat that day. We both knew that every single one of those "rocks" represented a life. But not just any life - the life of someone who had freely given theirs so that we could be born, having a chance to live ours. Without knowing who we are, they gave their lives so that we could live in this amazing country, with all of our Freedoms. Freedoms we take for granted every day - the Freedom to choose what religion we want without fear of torture, exile or death; the Freedom to speak our opinions of everyone from our next door neighbor to President Bush, on every topic from alcoholism to abortion, and not have to worry about the FBI breaking into our homes, dragging us into the street and killing us without a trial. How about these four words: "Innocent until proven guilty." We were overwhelmed by the sight of the rows upon rows of headstones.

That feeling was intensified by what we witnessed next: A wreath laying ceremony. We both stood there at the position of attention, our eyeballs sweating. We left the Cemetery with the vehement flame of Patriotism burning on with almost unbearable strength. We both knew from that moment on, without a single doubt in our minds, that we will become United States Marines to protect our Beloved America, no matter what it takes.

Freedom Is Not Free...

Registered User Free Member Cement03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    well on memorial day my father and i went down to the local memorial day celebration. we watched to parade go through downtown and then stopped at the wreth layong ceremony and watch the wifes of some of the local men that had died in a few of the conflicts that America was in and then the ceremony was taken over by the Marines. they were in town to commition an officer. he was promoted to 2nd leutenant. the speach that he gave was a heart felt one and it made me proud that i was going to be joining the strongest fighting force in the world. after that we all went up and talked to him. he said that he was proud that another local boy was taking the first steps to becoming a Marine. after that i was able to walk tall knowing that i had the support of many local Marines and that they were going to follow me the entire way through boot camp.

it would be nice to get some input from some fellow poolees on what they are doing to prepare and how enlisting has changed their lives because i know that it has changed mine for the better

Arrow Cement03

Sounds like your Memorial Day was motivatin'! I've just got a question for ya....

Originally posted by Cement03
    it would be nice to get some input from some fellow poolees on what they are doing to prepare and how enlisting has changed their lives because i know that it has changed mine for the better
    What's this all about? I realize that you're new (4 posts kinda gave that away), but have you read any of the other posts at all? It says you've been a member since April, and it's almost June now. Minimum of one month being around here. Plenty of time to look around and get a feel for the place, and see how many times this sort of thing has come up.

Since you're new, I'll give you a bit of a break. This place is full of more information than you could ever think about imagining. There are several dang squared away Marines around here who have posted advice, links, and recommendations. I highly suggest that you take some time and try to sift through all of the information on this board, as well as Marine Mentor. Now, I wouldn't know, 'cause I've never been to boot camp. But my guess is this: if you get a chance to read through a mere fraction of the information on this website, you will be much, much more prepared for boot camp and the fleet than you are now. Don't get me wrong; I've been told by tons of Marines that you can never be ready for Recruit Training. But it doesn't hurt to do your research and have a better chance at being ahead of the game, eh?

Good luck, and peruse these forums. There's hundreds of years of experience, shared through stories and advice. You've come to right place. Now make good use of the resources.

Registered User Free Member Cement03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    yea i have read alot of the forums before i even decided to write on them but i was only asking for personal input not really what was is suggested for sites and links and stuff like that. i really was only wondering what everybody does personaly everyday you know stuff like that. i mean no disrespect though. thank you for the reply

simon

Simon,

Good to go. I stand by what I said, though - wannabes/poolees have done plenty of sharing about what they're doing to prepare, and Marines have given tons of advice on what we should do. To sum it all up, there's mental and physical preparation. Memorization (The Marines' Hymn, General Orders, Code of Conduct, etc.) and PT.

Good luck.

DevilPup is right. There's little that hasn't already been discussed. Just do some looking.

Thread Information