ECU students design prototype wounded warrior barracks

November 6, 2008 - 7:15PM
JENNIFER HLAD

As the Marine Corps and Camp Lejeune move forward with construction on a new barracks and care center for wounded warriors, some East Carolina University interior design students had the opportunity to offer their own insight for the project.

A handful of ECU students in the College of Human Ecology have spent most of the semester designing a wounded warrior barracks - creating plans for the space they would create if money was no object.

"We're dreaming about the barracks of the future," said Hunt McKinnon, a lecturer at ECU who oversaw the students' work and accompanied three of the students to Camp Lejeune on Wednesday to present the designs.

"I really like what I see," said Lt. Gen. Dennis Hejlik, commanding general of II Marine Expeditionary Force, as he looked over the mockups. "This is absolutely amazing."

The plans used what the students called "universal design" - spaces that are accessible to people with disabilities but don't look unusual. Designs included special considerations like a therapy pool, a sensory room and a home theater center with acoustics that would keep loud noises confined to the theater area.

Michelle Hamilton was one of the three students who presented the projects Wednesday at the Wounded Warriors barracks. Hamilton, a Marine Corps spouse, said she appreciated the chance to be able to give back to the injured Marines and sailors.

"Because of my experience, it is a lot more personal," Hamilton said - though sometimes it was hard not to get emotional.

Hamilton told Hejlik her group designed their project to feel like home, so the Marines and sailors would be comfortable.

Hejlik said it is a delicate balance.

"You want to help the Marine or sailor, but you don't want to coddle them," he said.

The project also was good academically, Hamilton said, because it gave the students a reason to look at how different design aspects work together to accommodate various needs.

"It is more than just picking out colors and curtains," she said.

Pete Grimes, command advisor for Wounded Warriors Battalion East, is a member of the military affairs committee at ECU and said the idea for project "blossomed" over a three-year period.

Letting the students work on designs for the new barracks is helpful for the Marines and the students, he said.

"This is a real-life project," he said.

Hejlik praised the students' work and their efforts to improve the lives of wounded warriors.

"What you may not realize is this is your part in the global war on terror," he said. "I really appreciate it ... but the Marines will appreciate it even more."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie