So I released the news of my mos to my family
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Angry So I released the news of my mos to my family

I got the response that because I am going 0451 I am setting myself up for failure. My parent's tell me that it is just stupid to go into any combat support job especially in the Marines. I have no support at all from my family and I am enraged right now from their comment's. They support the war and the troops just not their son joining the fight..They even had my sisters call me up and tell me to just not leave for training and continue to go to school.

They are really making a hard decision harder for you. If it is what you want to do then it is a choice that you will make and press forward with. I have known several Marines who have voiced their opposition to their own children joining the service. I personally see it as an honor that my son has decided to join and your parents eventually will have a lot of pride in your decision. Stick to your guns do it because it is what you want to do.

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shirty1 View Post
    I have no support at all from my family and I am enraged right now from their comment's.

Well, by enlisting you are joining a new family that will support you all the time no matter what, even if your wrong in some cases. Your family is probably just worried, give them a little time to except what you are doing. Don't be mad at your family or get in fights over the matter, understand that they're worried and like I said, give them some time.

As far as your sister telling you to go to school............

You will accomplish more in 13 weeks at Parris Island South Carolina (OR MCRD San Diego) than you will in 40 years of college. That is my personal opinion and if anybody disagrees with me then so be it.

My take on it is, your joining the Marine Corps to freakin fight, and protect your country, your parents have had their time and now its your turn, sure parents want the best for you, but when it comes down to it you are the one to make the decision, if they dont like it thats their problem. Dont let it change your decision to fight for your country.

Just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Rains View Post
    My take on it is, your joining the Marine Corps to freakin fight, and protect your country, your parents have had their time and now its your turn, sure parents want the best for you, but when it comes down to it you are the one to make the decision, if they dont like it thats their problem. Dont let it change your decision to fight for your country.

Just my two cents
    That two cents would be disrespectful in my home.

Not to make your sister appear foolish, but I (and thousands of Marines in the past, present, and future like me) have decided that I want to serve the Corps while still in College. I already have a college education and I plan on going with the Corps anyways...So if your sister were to really examine the situation I'm sure she (or maybe just you) would realize that the Corps and an amazing education are not mutually exclusive. You can have both, even if the Corps comes first, or in some cases first and last. My point: there are college-educated people decide to do what you are doing, so don't let that argument sway you.

I don't have a family presence-only my brothers. One of them is in the basic while we speak, so the limited family I have does support me. Having said that, I understand what it's like to have no family support, and it must be even more difficult to have a family who discourages your decisions. In the end, it's always your decision alone. Hopefully your parents want you to pursue your dreams, and if this is your dream I say you'd be doing them a disservice to be unhappy doing something else. Stick to your guns, and understand where they're coming from, because in the end you'll still be family. But you don't want their satisfaction to come at the expense of your satisfaction with your own life. Sometimes you can't change things, but understanding them usually helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalFuture View Post
    That two cents would be disrespectful in my home.

Yea, I might have been a little aggresive there, sorry 'bout that.

I'm in the same situation as you are, although I haven't enlisted yet (didn't see if you had yet). I'm a JR in college and never really thought about joining the military up until 6-8 months ago. I was playing baseball out of college so it never crossed my mind.

Their problem is they're worried for our safety. That's what parents do I guess. It makes me think about it a little longer, but in the end I know exactly what I want to do. That's join the Marine Corps. As others said, you have to live your life. They'll be proud of you in time I'm sure.

I had the same problem when I decided to join up. My parents did not want me to join the Marines or any other service. I talked long and hard with my parents and my father was a veteran of WWII he said that he did not want me to see some of the things that happen in war and I was going to volunteered to go in let alone to war.
    I did join and they did not support me in this matter. But after coming home on leave from Viet Nam my father said he was proud of me and joining the service.
    In 1998 I got to take my mother and father to San Diego and we went on base and they were just as happy as if it was my graduation.
    Some times you have to make a decision to go forward and all you can do is ask for there support, but always remember that we support you and we will write you if you want us to. You will never be alone

Cool thing just happened to me about 2 hours ago on this exact subject. My dad emailed me and told me he's 100% behind me. He said he just doesn't want to let me go, but will support me in anything and everything I do.

Parents will always support you in time. They're just worried for you. I told my dad to not worry and that I know what I want to give, and get, to and from the Marines.

As near as I can tell, you selected and were accepted to a way cool MOS. In your heart of hearts you know you're doing the right thing, and there's little doubt that earlier posts are spot on. Your family is worried; that's what families do.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt tony View Post
    I had the same problem when I decided to join up. My parents did not want me to join the Marines or any other service. I talked long and hard with my parents and my father was a veteran of WWII he said that he did not want me to see some of the things that happen in war and I was going to volunteered to go in let alone to war.
    I did join and they did not support me in this matter. But after coming home on leave from Viet Nam my father said he was proud of me and joining the service.
    In 1998 I got to take my mother and father to San Diego and we went on base and they were just as happy as if it was my graduation.
    Some times you have to make a decision to go forward and all you can do is ask for there support, but always remember that we support you and we will write you if you want us to. You will never be alone
    Hey I really appreciate that. I am leaving December 15 for Parris Island and I will be sure to write whoever want's to hear from me! I am going to be the first person in my family to earn the title Marine, so this really gets me motivated.

Credits
    Savings

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post
    Cool thing just happened to me about 2 hours ago on this exact subject. My dad emailed me and told me he's 100% behind me. He said he just doesn't want to let me go, but will support me in anything and everything I do.

Parents will always support you in time. They're just worried for you. I told my dad to not worry and that I know what I want to give, and get, to and from the Marines.
    I know what you mean. As if telling them I am going to be a Marine was enough, they really flipped when I said I would be jumping out of planes throughout my career! I am just going to give it some time and let them find it in themselves to accept my decision.

Two cents from a Marine Mom

I couldn't let this pass, I had to respond. I have one child and it has just been him and I since he was 1 1/2 old. I knew he would get very little input in his life from his father so I chose not to date so I could give my full attention to raising him. Right or wrong I did what I thought was best for him. Three years ago my son, my only child came to me and wanted my permission to join the USMC. I listened to him and I asked him why. His answer was, he felt everyone should give at least 4 years of their lives to their country and we both knew he was not college material. He had chosen infantry, 0311. My heart skipped a beat or two but I remained calm. I thought about it for many, many days and I signed on that line giving him my permission. I have been asked plenty of times by those that just don't get it, how could I do that, how could I support my sons decision that could get him killed. My answer to them has always been this, "because it's HIS decision". I am his mother, not his owner. It is now time for him to take the reins of his life and find his way into manhood. If this is his path, then so be it. I have to trust in the foundation I hope I gave him and hope he finds his way with honor. No matter how scared I am or how lonely my house is now without him, my pride in him is boundless. He has now deployed twice and has extended his enlistment just so he can deploy with HIS Marines again next spring. My only child has found a family of brothers he will now carry with him for the rest of his life long after I am gone. I miss him, I wish he were here with me, I am very lonely without him, but I support him 100% in his decision to be a Marine. And there is no possible way I could ever be prouder of the man he has become. So with all of that said, follow your heart and do what you think is best for you. This may be your first real test as a man to see if you are strong enough to follow your heart against those who would make the decision for you. Just make sure you are well informed before you make your final decision. Then once it is made never look back and be proud of who you are.

Semper Fi and good luck
    Joyce
    Proud Marine Mom

They are worried about you. Can you blame them?

Thread Information