A Potential Calf Sprain
Create Post

A Potential Calf Sprain

First and foremost, I would like to introduce myself: I am poolee Ryan Ficken of Las Vegas, Nevada. I ship July 13, 2009 with an Infantry MOS picked out.

My first post here on Leatherneck.com is a medical question. I've already recieved many opinions and inputs on it (doctor, family, recruiter, knowledgable friends), but I figure that there never is too many opinions. I've had a running-induced injury (if you would even call it that) for quite some time, but it has been on-and-off, instead of consistent.

I suppose it is comparable to a shin splint, but in my left calf. These past two weeks, the pain has been consistent and has basically prevented me from running at all. As I run, the pain builds up and is bearable until about 3-5 minutes into each run, forcing me to limp my way back to my starting point, shamefully.

My family doctor says it may be a calf sprain or just bad cramps, but just suggests rest, meaning no running for about a month (which I'm used to doing 4-6 times a week). It's a very frustrating predicament. Sorry for the rant, the questions are coming next. The doctor gave me two perscriptions and recommended physical therapy (which I found to be a bit extreme).

Some days, when I walk around less, the leg is fine and there is little to no pain. Other days, when I'm more active and/or doing PT excluding running, it hurts a bit more and forces me to limp. So my questions are:

1. Do you think physical therapy would be a smart idea or even required to heal?

2. Do you think this will be a permanent problem that will affect me in boot camp (9 months away)?

3. My recruiter's against the idea of the meds due to possible waves in my enlistment status. Again, I would like to hear anyone kind enough to offer an opinion.

4. What do you think about the whole situation? What do you think I should be doing about this problem?

Once again, all opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Ah, one more thing: I've been heavily compensating the hurt calf with my right leg, which is starting to pain in the foot and joints. Any advice on this problem? Is this normal? If not, what can I do differently to avoid a potential injury on my right leg?

I do realize this is suspiciously similar to the topic http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=72624, which I just saw, but I have realized that there are questions left unanswered in my case. I hope this does not come off as a bad first impression of myself. The topic answers were very helpful, but didn't necessarily answer my questions. To specify a bit on my situation:

I'm drinking plenty of water, soda is very limited, only milk is cereal in the morning. I run with running shoes bought at a sports store. I have had a shin splint, on the same leg, about 2 or 3 times, but those were minor and dispersed within a few days.

I consider myself a beginning-intermediate runner. Some days I'll do a quick mile, other days I'll stay at pace, doing 5 miles, I'll do sprints, etc.

It might just be overuse or maybe you strained the muscle or something like that. I would just do what your doctor told you to do and take it easy for a while, since he looked at it he can tell you a lot more than someone online will be able too. Try swimming in the mean time. If its that bad then don't aggravate it or it will just get worse, otherwise it probably just needs some time to heal.

Go see a chiropractor certified in Active Release Technique (ART), which is used by most chiropractors and physical therapists that help professional athletes. Which is what you will be.

Complex problem that you can overcome without too much difficulty.Best thoughts, Tom Murray

At the very least, take some time off and give your body the time it needs to heal. You are far enough from boot camp that you can do so, and have plenty of time to regain whatever strength you may lose. I know that taking it easy sucks and that you want to keep on moving, but rest almost always helps! As for it affecting you in boot camp, don't stress too much about that, you have plenty of time to heal before then. I probably didn't tell you anything you haven't heard, but hope I could ease your mind a bit at least.

-Private Setzer

It definitely is a relief to hear that it's probably not a long-term problem. My recruiter said Physical Therapy would never hurt, but a friend that worksaround that field said that if I wasn't hurting (I wasn't when I spoke with her), then it would be a waste of money. Like the recruiter said, it won't hurt the situation.

Thread Information