Recruit dad here - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    MGySgt,

Simply enough, some of the Drill Instructors do it to boost their platoons morale. Do they really need it? Most definitely not (and my platoons never did) but some of our fellow DI's see it the other way. We never argued about it, we just did it our way and they did it their way. And for all the parents or recruit friends out there...there is no documented medical evidence or statistical proof that your recruit eating a powerbar before his pft is going to help him run faster or do more pull-ups. The only thing that makes them do those things is us!

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    of course, the image and impression I have of the D.I. is a monster man of some sort. Easy to forget that they are human beings, after all - just a special subset whose mission is to make Marines.
    It's funny how we are usually all catagorized into the mean as hell, chew nails and **** napalm mold. When we have your sons and daughters, of course that's what we're going to be like but many parents or just the general populace in general forget that we have family's that we go home to at night also (sometimes) and that we were once recruits too. I'm not surprised that your son's DI is coresponding with you because we like to know about these kids that we're forming into Marines too. It helps us to know who were dealing with (lifestyle, background) so that we can motivate them in certain areas. Not every kid that steps foot in our squadbay is sure he even wants to be a Marine when he gets there and we are faced with doing the tight rope of both encouraging them and breaking them down.

S/Sgt. It sounds like you may be on the street now? I agree with the statement about morale. The sad thing is that morale needing to be boosted in the first place! By the looks of your 'signature' on your posts, you have what most of the recruits need, experience! Keep doing the right thing, and Thank you for doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by JWorkDI View Post
    I'm not surprised that your son's DI is coresponding with you because we like to know about these kids that we're forming into Marines too. It helps us to know who were dealing with (lifestyle, background) so that we can motivate them in certain areas.
    Hear, understand and acknowledge. What I said about perceptions of the DI's was meant to express that I quickly came to understand what the reality is. Actually, I have been very careful to not supply a biography about my recruit. The initial contact from the SDI was pretty much that he was happy to answer questions. And I have limited myself to that.

For example, in the letter I got today, the recruit indicated he would not receive mail at the range; which sounded wrong. So, I e-mailed the SDI, who got right back to me with the scoop.

btw, the recruit did the gas chamber. Besides describing the awesomeness of it all, he was ragging pretty hard on some of his guys who had a very rough time - trying to run out the door, refusing to unmask, etc. Also mentioned that in the rappel (sp?) he "faceplanted". But, says it was big fun.

Far as I know, he's still squad leader. I found a pic of him. Reckon it would be OK to post it in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JWorkDI View Post
    MGySgt,

Simply enough, some of the Drill Instructors do it to boost their platoons morale. Do they really need it? Most definitely not (and my platoons never did) but some of our fellow DI's see it the other way. We never argued about it, we just did it our way and they did it their way. And for all the parents or recruit friends out there...there is no documented medical evidence or statistical proof that your recruit eating a powerbar before his pft is going to help him run faster or do more pull-ups. The only thing that makes them do those things is us!
    You never know that powerbar may just be that one thing that causes him to puke or poop himself thus lightening his load and giving him that extra step....it said it would help....never said how!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    With all due respect MGny DIUSMC, I looked at sending Power Bars & Gator Aid to the recruits in Phase III, like sending care packages "In Country".

But I would never mess with success. What the DIs accomplished with my former recruit is nothing short of amazing.

I have received two letters from the rifle range. RCT mentioned big puddles and cold wind. Said if they are lucky and get there first, they get enough time to actually taste the chow, which he said is even better than at the main chow hall. He says that though the heads are smaller, they get more time in there in the evenings. The hump out there was in the rain and he had to re-mark all his stuff.

They were to do first live fire yesterday. He has not said anything about initial drill or any other testing. I don't know if that's good, bad or indifferent.

dono, rifle range will be a fun time for your son...I know it was the best week I had during boot camp. I wish him good luck and hopefully he'll get those crossed rifles

I've been surprised at how many times he has mentioned fun in his letters - obstacle course and pugil sticks come to mind. I knew he had a good attitude going in, but you never know what the reality might do. So far, it is so good. After the second week at the range, I see "Team Week" coming up.

I have read that is kitchen duty or grounds maintainence and this is not under direct supervision of their DI's. Is this about right? What happens during this week?

Team Week is pretty much a week where all the recruits help out around the base. They usually do working parties in groups of about 10 and perform various things such as making targets for the rifle range, helping out at supply, and cleaning up the chow hall and whatnot. It's pretty much the easiest week of boot camp and there isn't much supervision from your own DIs...pretty relaxing

Unless you're a bad recruit then you never get sent for a working party and are alone with the DIs most of the day then you get quarterdecked and pitted on a regular basis (happened to me a few times during team week they wouldnt send me out....I think I only went and worked two days)

Letters got a little slow, but we recived a nice one yesterday. Said he did well (2nd best in plt) on the PFT. On the chow - said either they are getting more time, or he has improved his speed-eating skill.

He asked me to bring edibles for Family Day. I like that idea better than possibly standing in line to eat in a restaurant. I guess we could eat in the vehicle, if the weather is bad. But, is there anyplace indoors available where we could eat the food that I would bring?

Rifle qualifying is tomorrow. Another question: Do they go back to previous barracks after the two weeks at the range or do they stay where they are for the duration?

Is he at PI or SD?

Disregard, I found it from your first post.

I got word through the SDI that my recruit qualified. He did not have the score; only that he qualified. I'm still curious if the platoon stays at the barracks near the range for the duration. And do they get to shoot any more after qualifying?

Thread Information