Recruit dad here - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    What the hell you can E-mail the SDI,lol,times have changed big time?

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    What the hell you can E-mail the SDI,lol,times have changed big time?
    I KNEW it wouldn't take long!

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    I KNEW it wouldn't take long!
    You got that right Marines don't miss a thing.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Said they will head to the rifle range on Saturday. Am I correct that they bunk there for a few days?
    Two weeks. First week is Grass Week where they practice, practice, practice then the second week they build up to qualifying which they'll do that Friday.

Here's a link. This might explain it better.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/schedule.asp

Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    Two weeks. First week is Grass Week where they practice, practice, practice then the second week they build up to qualifying which they'll do that Friday.
    Good info there. As much as I think I have found, there always seems to be more. Question: I think the firing range is some distance away. Do they have a chow hall there or do they send the chow out there or is it MRE's?

Yes. I do tend to obsess about chow. My recruit talks about it in EVERY letter he sends...

Happy Thanksgiving to all and thank God for the Corps and the privilege of being a small part of it.

They have a chow hall there, Weapons Battalion as I recall had some of the best food in their Mess Hall. But he will only eat in the Mess Hall during Breakfast and Dinner because all the time in between is spent on the range for lunch they will bring them box lunches usually consisting of a ham/turkey/roastbeef and cheese sandwich, and bag of chips, an orange or apple, a couple cookies and a poweraid or fruit juice drink. If his drill instructors are like mine when we were on the range they let us be during meal time especially lunch time and there was alot of bartering between recruits for different types of food.

Now I dont know if he will go back mainside or not after Rifle Range. Most companys do, but I remember we remained out there for a while afterwards, till after the cruicible I recall (I got dropped the day before the cruicible for cellulitus but got picked back up not long after) So I think I may have had a bit of a unique experiance with Weapons, cause I stayed out there from Grass Week till the day before the Crucible, and my original company stayed out there even longer.

If I read the matrix calendar correctly, the 10 km hump to the firing range was yesterday. I haven't received a letter since Monday. But, I know he was put to bed for a couple days with a bad cold, so he's probably got some catching up to do.

Looking at the weather forecast, it looks good.

Unrelated question: I have seen on some other boards, Moms chomping at the bit to send power bars and cough drops. Mine has mentioned nothing about it; and, frankly, I don't see the need for it at all, though they say that some SDI's permit it.

Did any of the Marines who read this have that stuff mailed to them at boot?

If I read the matrix calendar correctly, the 10 km hump to the firing range was yesterday. I haven't received a letter since Monday. But, I know he was put to bed for a couple days with a bad cold, so he's probably got some catching up to do.

Looking at the weather forecast, it looks good.

Unrelated question: I have seen on some other boards, Moms chomping at the bit to send power bars and cough drops. Mine has mentioned nothing about it; and, frankly, I don't see the need for it at all, though they say that some SDI's permit it.

Did any of the Marines who read this have that stuff mailed to them at boot?
    When we were given the go ahead to send a letter telling our moms to send power bars and cough drops if they wanted I dont think our SDI thought we'd get as much as we did. He originally said "You can tell your parents to send powerbars and then like once in a blue moon when there is enough for the entire platoon to have one we'll give them out" this was just after initial drill. Well there were two recruits who went in on the buddy program whose mothers had gotten together and pooled their money together and started sending on average about 200 powerbars, 5 cans of gatorade mix and loads of cough drops about every two weeks. So it got to the point where every night during square away time we got gatorade and just at lights out the SDI came around and would give us each a power bar and a cough drop, it got so bad that we would send over power bars to other platoons and to papa company that was on track with us. It was insane.

Mailing anything to a Marine Recruit is a bad idea, very bad idea. You have to trust the fact that the Marine Corps is giving thier recruits everything that they are going to need to get through the training. The "package" from home makes the sender feel like they are helping but they are not. When they are in the FMF trust me ALL packages from home will be appreciated much more.

Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    Mailing anything to a Marine Recruit is a bad idea, very bad idea. You have to trust the fact that the Marine Corps is giving thier recruits everything that they are going to need to get through the training. The "package" from home makes the sender feel like they are helping but they are not. When they are in the FMF trust me ALL packages from home will be appreciated much more.
    Oh I agree totally but when it is approved by the SDI its then not becoming a problem really helped motivate the recruits. And I am damn happy they sent the cough drops cause it really helped with the crud.

Maybe my thinking is a bit blurred here. When I was that SDI that had the 'authority' to approve I wouldn't have. Maybe I am just getting old and remember the way it was instead of the way it is. If getting a cough drop in the mail was a form of motivation I would have to believe that I wasn't doing my job correctly. The 'docs' were always around to help cure what ailed, so I let them do thier jobs while I did mine.

It wasnt the fact that it was a cough drop, it was the fact that for some of the recruits who didnt get much mail or any at all to get a package sent to the entire platoon was like getting a piece of mail from someone who cared. It let them know that people cared about them back home and motivated them. If that makes sense.

This may sound a bit hard for many folks to believe, but in all honesty in the 9 years I had been involved in any way with recruit training, as a Drill Instructor, Senior Drill Instructor, Series Gunny, and finally as an intructor at DI School, I never cared if there were letters, or pkgs, or anything else that came into the squad bay. I made that very clear the first day of training and made a promise to everyone of those recruits that they would be taken cared of and will want for nothing for the next three months. As mentioned earlier, I am aware of some changes, but just don't agree with them.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My son's SDI requested it. I sent Dry Gator Aid, Power Bars, & Caugh Drops from time to time. The SDI used it for "MOTO". I sent enough for the entire Platoon for the "Crucible".

His SDI even thanked me on "Family Day"

Like I mentioned earlier Mr. Gator, times have changed and I do believe for the better. On the rare occasion that any platoon I trained needed anything out of the issued items we (the DI's) would get them. The recruits would never know where they came from. Every day I thank the young Marines willing to put everything on the line for us. It takes a brave individual to raise his right hand knowing what we are involved in around the world right now. My appreciation is extended.

Thread Information