Recruit dad here - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    I have told him to keep his act together and trust the process.

It's really mind over matter.

Hello Don, seeing your location is Johnson City is that TN? I wish you as a Recruit Dad the very best. Having served for a little over thirty years and spent three tours on Parris Island I know that you are both nervous and proud. Be more proud than nervous. Your son is in the best place he can be. During recruit training there will be a time to discuss the "future" with Marine planners. Having said that, we are at war in two fronts and there are no guarantees, at all. I wish your son nothing but the best, and you as well sir.

[quote=DIUSMC;413490]Hello Don, seeing your location is Johnson City is that TN? /quote]

Tennessee it is. aka - God's Country. At least the upper east is. Get much west of Nashville and you might as well be in Arkansas.
    Yes - My recruit and I completely understand his situation and the needs of the Corps comes first. I also can trust the process; but from lived experience, including a hitch in USAF, I also know to keep a lookout for #1 as well. I'm not disagreeing with you - just saying that he has been told that he shows promise for the officer track. I know recruit training is not where that gets determined. It's a step in a process that was presented to us as a potential track to his goal.

The incoming letters have slowed down. We received two on Monday. I had gotten spoiled with the regularity! This is swim week so he's probably spending all his time drying out his gear. Still sending one a day.

I'm nailing down plans for graduation. Have a line on a condo near the gate.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    Hello Don, seeing your location is Johnson City is that TN?
    Tennessee it is. aka - God's Country. At least the upper east is. Get much west of Nashville and you might as well be in Arkansas. ...
    Amen Dono! I grew up in McMinnville. I was on the Championship Team that kicked the heck out of Father Ryan. But alas Oak Ridge cleaned our clock.

My son played for Science Hill, though I am a Dobyns-Bennett graduate. Poor ol' D-B seems to stumble in the playoffs every year. I believe McMinn Central upset them this year.

Dono, would you happen to know a former Marine who was originally from Johnson City by the name of Raymond Gates? I was stationed with him as a young Marine in the mid seventies. I had the pleasure of going to his home on one occasion then but since have lost touch. The letters may become farther between from your son, but right about now the speed picks up and intensifies a bit. Semper Fi,

Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    Dono, would you happen to know a former Marine who was originally from Johnson City by the name of Raymond Gates?
    No I do not. But, there's a Marine I can ask later today. I think he was active around that time. And thanks for the perspective on what's going on in training. I can understand that. And, there's always tomorrow. He's got a lot of folks writing to him and maybe he's getting back to them when he can take a minute.

I did not see my Marine friend on Friday. I will ask him about Mr. Gates when I see him. I did receives an e-mail from my recruit's SDI. I think he must have gotten my address from another message board I post on. That was very cool, since I have received no mail from the recruit since Monday.

Dono, you'd be surprised at what the drill instructors find out online. During Marine Week when we went to the Padres game, a Marine in my platoon's mother came to the game to see him since he was from Southern California. He sat next to her, but no drill instructors saw him and no one made it obvious who she was. Later on that night she posted a thread on RecruitParents.com saying how happy she was to see her son at the game. The very next morning our Senior called our Marine up to the duty hut and said "So...apparently we have Visitor's Sunday now instead of Visitor's Thursday" and gave the guy the reaming of a lifetime. Earlier in the cycle another recruit wrote home about being hazed by the drill instructors and our Senior saw the thread on the website...let's just say it wasn't pretty after our Senior found out

Now I'm wondering if I should have even posted that I received the email from the SDI? I would never post the content of that nor detail on what my recruit writes to me. It might make parents who do not hear from the DI sad. Should I ask to have that post taken down?

dono ~ You're doing fine. DI's are good guys. They really are. They remember boot all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpspapa View Post
    dono ~ You're doing fine. DI's are good guys. They really are. They remember boot all too well.
    I believe that, Bill. I just don't want to do ANYTHING to make it harder on my son. In e-mail I told his SDI that I would try to not wear him out with questions, etc. He quickly replied that it was not a problem.

of course, the image and impression I have of the D.I. is a monster man of some sort. Easy to forget that they are human beings, after all - just a special subset whose mission is to make Marines. I'll tell you, this electronic communication has made this experience so good for us here at home. Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I intend to keep it going.

Well, I talked to my Mama, who had received a letter saying that the recruit had been sent to bed to get over cold symptoms. That was all she knew from the letter. So, I e-mailed the SDI and he immediately replied that he was back on foot and doing the training. What a relief and how cool is it that I can get such contact?

The SDI made initial contact with me, but I was hesitant about bothering him too much. But, he has assured me that he wants to hear what is on the parents mind and has been unbelievably quick in responding.

btw, he had the Honor Platoon in the last cycle. How cool is THAT?!

Said they will head to the rifle range on Saturday. Am I correct that they bunk there for a few days?

Thread Information