Recruit dad here - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Dono, would you happen to know a former Marine who was originally from Johnson City by the name of Raymond Gates? I was stationed with him as a young Marine in the mid seventies. I had the pleasure of going to his home on one occasion then but since have lost touch. The letters may become farther between from your son, but right about now the speed picks up and intensifies a bit. Semper Fi,

Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    Dono, would you happen to know a former Marine who was originally from Johnson City by the name of Raymond Gates?
    No I do not. But, there's a Marine I can ask later today. I think he was active around that time. And thanks for the perspective on what's going on in training. I can understand that. And, there's always tomorrow. He's got a lot of folks writing to him and maybe he's getting back to them when he can take a minute.

I did not see my Marine friend on Friday. I will ask him about Mr. Gates when I see him. I did receives an e-mail from my recruit's SDI. I think he must have gotten my address from another message board I post on. That was very cool, since I have received no mail from the recruit since Monday.

Dono, you'd be surprised at what the drill instructors find out online. During Marine Week when we went to the Padres game, a Marine in my platoon's mother came to the game to see him since he was from Southern California. He sat next to her, but no drill instructors saw him and no one made it obvious who she was. Later on that night she posted a thread on RecruitParents.com saying how happy she was to see her son at the game. The very next morning our Senior called our Marine up to the duty hut and said "So...apparently we have Visitor's Sunday now instead of Visitor's Thursday" and gave the guy the reaming of a lifetime. Earlier in the cycle another recruit wrote home about being hazed by the drill instructors and our Senior saw the thread on the website...let's just say it wasn't pretty after our Senior found out

Now I'm wondering if I should have even posted that I received the email from the SDI? I would never post the content of that nor detail on what my recruit writes to me. It might make parents who do not hear from the DI sad. Should I ask to have that post taken down?

dono ~ You're doing fine. DI's are good guys. They really are. They remember boot all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpspapa View Post
    dono ~ You're doing fine. DI's are good guys. They really are. They remember boot all too well.
    I believe that, Bill. I just don't want to do ANYTHING to make it harder on my son. In e-mail I told his SDI that I would try to not wear him out with questions, etc. He quickly replied that it was not a problem.

of course, the image and impression I have of the D.I. is a monster man of some sort. Easy to forget that they are human beings, after all - just a special subset whose mission is to make Marines. I'll tell you, this electronic communication has made this experience so good for us here at home. Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I intend to keep it going.

Well, I talked to my Mama, who had received a letter saying that the recruit had been sent to bed to get over cold symptoms. That was all she knew from the letter. So, I e-mailed the SDI and he immediately replied that he was back on foot and doing the training. What a relief and how cool is it that I can get such contact?

The SDI made initial contact with me, but I was hesitant about bothering him too much. But, he has assured me that he wants to hear what is on the parents mind and has been unbelievably quick in responding.

btw, he had the Honor Platoon in the last cycle. How cool is THAT?!

Said they will head to the rifle range on Saturday. Am I correct that they bunk there for a few days?

What the hell you can E-mail the SDI,lol,times have changed big time?

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    What the hell you can E-mail the SDI,lol,times have changed big time?
    I KNEW it wouldn't take long!

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    I KNEW it wouldn't take long!
    You got that right Marines don't miss a thing.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Said they will head to the rifle range on Saturday. Am I correct that they bunk there for a few days?
    Two weeks. First week is Grass Week where they practice, practice, practice then the second week they build up to qualifying which they'll do that Friday.

Here's a link. This might explain it better.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/schedule.asp

Quote Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
    Two weeks. First week is Grass Week where they practice, practice, practice then the second week they build up to qualifying which they'll do that Friday.
    Good info there. As much as I think I have found, there always seems to be more. Question: I think the firing range is some distance away. Do they have a chow hall there or do they send the chow out there or is it MRE's?

Yes. I do tend to obsess about chow. My recruit talks about it in EVERY letter he sends...

Happy Thanksgiving to all and thank God for the Corps and the privilege of being a small part of it.

They have a chow hall there, Weapons Battalion as I recall had some of the best food in their Mess Hall. But he will only eat in the Mess Hall during Breakfast and Dinner because all the time in between is spent on the range for lunch they will bring them box lunches usually consisting of a ham/turkey/roastbeef and cheese sandwich, and bag of chips, an orange or apple, a couple cookies and a poweraid or fruit juice drink. If his drill instructors are like mine when we were on the range they let us be during meal time especially lunch time and there was alot of bartering between recruits for different types of food.

Now I dont know if he will go back mainside or not after Rifle Range. Most companys do, but I remember we remained out there for a while afterwards, till after the cruicible I recall (I got dropped the day before the cruicible for cellulitus but got picked back up not long after) So I think I may have had a bit of a unique experiance with Weapons, cause I stayed out there from Grass Week till the day before the Crucible, and my original company stayed out there even longer.

If I read the matrix calendar correctly, the 10 km hump to the firing range was yesterday. I haven't received a letter since Monday. But, I know he was put to bed for a couple days with a bad cold, so he's probably got some catching up to do.

Looking at the weather forecast, it looks good.

Unrelated question: I have seen on some other boards, Moms chomping at the bit to send power bars and cough drops. Mine has mentioned nothing about it; and, frankly, I don't see the need for it at all, though they say that some SDI's permit it.

Did any of the Marines who read this have that stuff mailed to them at boot?

Thread Information