Recruit dad here - Page 19
Create Post
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    Correction: Hoping for early slot at TBS after graduation - not second increment OCS

It's cool to find that the thread I began in Oct 2008 is still available. The Second Lieutenant shall report to Quantico for TBS at the end of next week. He did receive the air contract and that means Pensacola, hopefully late this year. He graduated a semester early and caught a job will a local Sheriff Dept as a jailhouse guard. They really hated to see him go - wanted him on the force.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outstanding News .
    This thread will be here forever so please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Outstanding News .
    This thread will be here forever so please keep us posted.
    I just posted a link to this thread for a Mama on a facebook group, and I took the time to read it all, again. I like that the thread will be here "forever".

I hear from the 2Lt on a fairly regular basis. He got his second Expert with rifle and got Sharpshooter with pistol. They did one mapping exercise and he did well - well enough that tomorrow he will help some Marines who struggled with it. Seems there is no firewatch, per se, but company duty rotates among the platoons.

He did say that the gas chamber was a piece of cake compared to P.I. Only about 15 seconds unmasked and they did not have to do jumping jacks in there.

They seem to alternate their time between classroom and field exercises. I have not found a detailed matrix like I had during recruit training; but, he let's me know, when he knows.

Making new friends, of course and finding fun stuff to do. One of his buddies brought a boat and they have had it out a few times. Visited the Naval Academy at Annapolis where a friend of a friend is at. He likes to go to Washington and take all that in.

The relatively mild weather has been welcome for the outside activities.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent news to hear...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post

Outstanding News
    This thread will be here forever
    so please keep us posted.

Who else sees the IRONY ?

The 2Lt successfully completed TBS in Dec '14 and reported to Pensacola at the end of that month. He has completed his initial flight training and soloed in the Cessna. He is now beginning first phase of actual instruction. Says they are doing training in the water and classroom instruction. There are a total of six written tests. He says that the standard for Marines is a bit more rigorous than for the Navy. Regardless, he seems very serious about buckling down and mastering the knowledge.

He is sharing a house on the water with two Marines and they all have orders for Corpus Christi as their next assignment. It's there that they will get their platform assigned.

Should be up for promotion at the end of June.

Correction: Promotion if it happens will be in December. Two years in grade. Prior does not count.

Made it to Corpus and has a place with the same two who shared at Pensacola. Got a place with a dock and his friend brought his boat.

He has completed initial sims. Been waiting for a while for his on wing to be assigned so he can start real flying. They are allowed to sign up when there is open time on the sims and he and some buddies have done some of that.

But, he is ready to get off the ground.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Any updates to this outstanding thread ?

Primary flight training completed and got his first choice of platform. He got jets and will go to Meridian, MS for about a year. Came home for Thanksgiving and almost all of the family came together. He's looking forward to the future. Hoping for promotion io 1Lt and that pay bump. Trying to nail down housing - not as many options as he had at Corpus Christi.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That was a quick response. Thank you Don and thank you for the updates !
    Great thread !!!

One more update. Butter Bar gone as of 12/14 with promotion to First Lieutenant. Two years in rank and has done what he's supposed to.

Marine Family Free Member 2 Marine Mom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sounds exciting

Ben has completed first phase - instruments. They have instructors do the takeoff and landing and students have canopy blocked off so they have to fly w/o seeing outside.

Student takes over pretty much right after takeoff and brings it back to final glide path.

He's almost finished with second phase sims - one to go.

He got some det duty to Jacksonville to support boat qualifying a few weeks ago. Initially, he was to refuel at a close airport to me. But, alas, Semper Gumby stepped in and that did not happen.

Many of his mates have already winged, but he still got a few months.

He bought a 2015 Mustang GT and is loving it. Last week he was driving to the airport and got pulled over for tailgating a semi. Go figure.

Got off with a warning but missed a standby flight he was trying to catch. Went to DC for his girlfriends graduation.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hi Don. Thanks for the updates my friend. Sounds like Ben is living the dream. You know you just teased the sh*t out of me by mentioning that 2015 Mustang GT he's having fun with.

Tell him Rocky said " Semper Fi ".

Thread Information