Recruit dad here - Page 16
Create Post
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    While I was recruiting back in 04-07. I had 1 kids saying the whole time he was going to be Recon. The only thing I could do was make sure he was ready for the attempt. I had him every living momement on the pull up bars. Dead hang wide grips. I told him he might be ready if he could do 30. The time he left he was doing 30 and he did make it through BRC. Everyone else that said they were going to be recon washed out or never tried. Semper Fi.

I have nothing to add to the recon discussion

But, I will report that my Marine called from the Mojave yesterday. Doing good. One thing, said the water they brought gets very HOT during the day.

His comm unit is supporting a Weapons company out there and while he was on the phone he saw a bomb dropped. I could hear it!

He'll be out until Thursday - then 96 for the 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    Just remember attention is good and you should tell your son this too in your next letter when he finds himself on the quarterdeck getting punished (and he will be on the quarterdeck, every recruit experiences the quarterdeck....some like myself experienced it daily) tell him to just tell himself "Its not a punishment cause it makes me stronger" and its true.

What company is your son in, and maybe some of the guys on the forum can send him some motivational mail.
    I had a Warrant Officer that use to be a DI. His saying was "Hate me now, Love me later". And that was the truth. During PT sessions he killed us but when the PFT came up everyone improved by atleast 2 minutes on the run 4-5 pull-ups and max crunches. Great Saying. Thanks CWO4 B.E. Carter

Have not posted in quite a while. Ben has (or soon will) complete Desert Viper and be home in early September for leave before his unit deploys in late Sept / early Oct. He had word that he was going to be attached to a different Reserve unit than his own.

He texted me today that he was on his last field exercise, getting to drive a humvee for the support team.

Your son is in Comm? I'm currently at 29 Palms for Comm School.. I go to the field tomorrow and graduate next week after the 96. Where is he stationed?

sent you a pm dizark

sir
    if you want top notch information concerning any of your question write the commandant of the marine corps just because he is a general don't let that stop you to write him
    tell him you situation and i am sure you will get answer that will be better than most i did concerning my son awhiles back and one day there was a marine wanting to talk to me
    at my door
    i was a drill instructor at parris island in the early '50's

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tgwkreu7 View Post
    sir
    if you want top notch information concerning any of your question write the commandant of the marine corps just because he is a general don't let that stop you to write him
    tell him you situation and i am sure you will get answer that will be better than most i did concerning my son awhiles back and one day there was a marine wanting to talk to me
    at my door
    i was a drill instructor at parris island in the early '50's
    Right. I was born at night; but not last night!

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
    FUN, FUN, FUN!! I just recently went on my first chopper ride. CH-46 but I did get a little sick no vomitting though, thank God!! I bet he had fun.
    Jennifer, they call them "choppers" now? Back in the day we NEVER used the word chopper, it was "helo's". Just busting your chops.

I trained on helo's in New River for 6 months, then got sent out to EL Toro to work on jets, go figure. Of course that was back when there was no different MOS requirement between fixed and rotor.

We are about half way through ten day leave. Ben has completed the Mojave Viper and upon return to Cali will be preparing for deployment. My understansing is that he will attach to a Reserve unit out of Nashville.

Since he will be gone again for the holidays, we are having Thanksgiving Day dinner today and a bunch of family is coming.

Weapons issue today and he will be leaving for Iraq, if not today, certainly in the next few days.

We joined a local group of military families and have our first meeting this evening. I am looking forward to it, as we know no other military families.

Dono:

I drive to Johnson City fairly often to go to the VA Hospital there....I'm in Castlewood VA.

If you ever need to talk, vent, need to go out for a beer....whatever, lemme know by PM and I'll give ya my home and cell #'s....I'll do what I can for you....

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Ramsey View Post
    Dono:

I drive to Johnson City fairly often to go to the VA Hospital there....I'm in Castlewood VA.

Semper Fidelis
    Will do. I'm sometimes up that way going to St Paul for Sunday afternoon shape note singing.

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Weapons issue today and he will be leaving for Iraq, if not today, certainly in the next few days.
    You should be careful what you post. On the internet, you can never be too sure who is watching. I remember on my deployment to Iraq, that's something that my command stressed on us- not to give out our deployment dates. It's some detail terrorists are very interested in.

Good luck to your son. Iraq really isn't as bad as the media makes it sound.

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Welcome Don!

If you would like to post your questions on here, we Marines would be happy to help answer any that we can. There are some former recruiters and drill instructors that frequent these forums as well and will likely be able to shed some light on those hazy answers your sons recruiter provided.

Anyways, welcome again and keep us posted on your sons progress!
    we will always do our best to help minus the occational heckeling session

Thread Information