Recruit dad here - Page 15
Create Post
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

My thanks

I started this thread in October as my son was in his first week at P.I. Within about an hour, I had received a welcome. Now, almost six months and 5700+ views later, I want to thank everyone who has made this thread a great thing for me to have during this experience. Any and every question I ever asked brought quick and good responses. You folks are the best!

I don't know that I will be posting as much for a while. My Marine is in the "holding pattern" awaiting for his class to form up. I'm hearing weeks...so there is not much of anything to report.

I will respond to any new posts, if I have anything worthwhile to say. Until then, once again, I thank you all very much.

Don Wiley
    Johnson City, Tennessee

Settled in

My son picked up an class to qualify to drive the HumVee. It will extend his stay a bit, but that's no problem. Contact via e-mail and phone is easy now. He seems to be well situaled and well pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    My son picked up an class to qualify to drive the HumVee. It will extend his stay a bit, but that's no problem. Contact via e-mail and phone is easy now. He seems to be well situaled and well pleased.
    He'll have a blast with the humvee course. I did it back in January and had a great time, lots of fun.

Hey Dono, welcome to the Marine Corps family....

I'm relatively close by in SW Virginia if you ever wanna chat or whatever, and I go to Mountain Home fairly often in JC....

Sgt Ramsey, sorry I did not reply. I obviously missed the e-mail notification. Thank you. I hope we meet some day.

My marine is still at 29 Palms. He's slated to finish up his job school in early June. His Reserve unit, Lima Company, departs for five months at Camp Pendleton on Thursday before deploying to Iraq in September. I spoke with him Saturday, and he does not have a clue as to his own status.

Before, he thought he would get leave after job school, but know he's wondering if he will go directly to Pendleton to join his unit. He's decided to try to see if he can find out. Anyone have an idea (or guess) on that?

Reserve unit deploying

They left yesterday for Camp Pendleton to begin training. The article in the local paper says that the fall deployment destination is not known. Before they were saying Iraq.

My Marine does not know if he will get leave after MOS school or if he will report to Pendleton. He did see his class scores and is doing very well. About one more month to go.

I guess I could start a new thread, because I am not a recruit dad. I am a Marine Dad - Proud Papa of a USMC Lance Corporal! He earned meritorious promotion upon graduating as Honor Graduate from his job school.

He's home on leave and will soon report to Camp Pendleton for training in advance of his September deployment.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I guess I could start a new thread, because I am not a recruit dad. I am a Marine Dad - Proud Papa of a USMC Lance Corporal! He earned meritorious promotion upon graduating as Honor Graduate from his job school.

He's home on leave and will soon report to Camp Pendleton for training in advance of his September deployment.
    Hi Dono,

A big "Congrats" on your son's recent meritorious promotion to Lance Corporal!

My son is currently at the point in MCRD where your son was when you started this thread WAY BACK WHEN!

He's currently busting-out a 291 for his PFT.....also highest score in his platoon in the CFT.....swims like a dang fish, too.....he MUST be at that fitness-level, because he enlisted with a UZ contract 0321 / Reconnaissance......

When he eventually gets to BRC, he will find he is just one of many guys at that level of physical ability......

Anyway, I enjoyed the thread! Glad to see your son didn't take any "heat" from his SDI for communication issue's between you and him....I was worried about that for awhile there!

All the best,

MotoDad

Thanks for the kind words. This board and the great folks who post were a great asset for me through recruit training. Maybe you will tell me a bit about your son's specialty. I still do not know a lot about all that.

My son was home for ten days and is now back in Cali at Camp Pendleton. I am not clear on exactly what is going on. I understand that he is with a comm company (battalion?). His local Reserve company is there, but he seems to not be training with them.

However, he has been told of his deployment destination. Being cautious, I will leave it at that.

He did mention that the hours of his most used facilities (gym and chow hall) are shortedrat Pendleton than at 29 Palms. But, he is still learning his way around. He spoke about a trip to "mainside" to get a haircut.

And, just as I was writing this, he called me. Says not a whole lot is going on. Unless you get to go into the field, he's just "hanging out at the comm shop." And also that he was heading to the Exchange then to the gym, which turns out is open until nine.

That is all.

Then today, I got a text saying that today he gets to call in a medevac and ride the chopper. (His first helicopter ride!)

I know he's pumped for that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Then today, I got a text saying that today he gets to call in a medevac and ride the chopper. (His first helicopter ride!)

I know he's pumped for that.
    FUN, FUN, FUN!! I just recently went on my first chopper ride. CH-46 but I did get a little sick no vomitting though, thank God!! I bet he had fun.

They used Chinooks and he got two turns at the exercise. He sent me a couple of vids that he made - one of a low pass flyover by the chopper and the other on the ride itself. Yes. He loved it.

Talked to my son last night. He is headed back to 29 palms for five days in the field. Said something about horizontal antennas. I believe he said eight Marines are going.

Checked the weather - highs of 104. Yow!

Credits
    Savings
    It's like guaranteeing a kid the chance to go to the gas chamber....they would get it anyway. Is it sad they have to promise it? Yeah I'm with you on that.

As for the hard/soft Corps thing it's been beat to death. The boot camp rules never changed and there are no stress cards. Tell some young grunt freezing his nuts off in the Korengal Valley how soft he is....Semper Fi

Thread Information