Recruit dad here - Page 14
Create Post
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    What's his MOS going to be?

Field Radio Operator.

Story in this morning's paper says his unit is to deploy to the ME in May. We knew this had been rumored for a while. If his job school picks up right away, he should finish by the end of April. Looks to me like he's going to go.

I'll talk with his recruiter today and see what he can find out for me. Here's the story.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Deta...EPAGE&ID=67132

Correction to above: His unit activates in May and deploys sometime this Fall. Spoke to our recruiter yesterday. He did not have solid information yet, but the article linked above seems to be accurate. I don't know if my Marine knows yet - I doubt it. Hoping he can call me on Sunday.

As I shared at the beginning, he was planning / hoping to enroll in college this Fall. However, he did understand the reality of his commitment and that this very thing was a possibility. When we talked about it during his boot leave, he seemed even excited about the possibility.

From this Dad's point of view, it's gotta be a positive when he finally does go for the PLC. And - this may be dumb and off base - but, I like him getting the opportunity to gain this experience at this point in his life.

Finally, there is some worry over the direction our CINC will take this nation. I can only hope and pray that he will admit his limitations in this area and listen to the professionals.

Received a call yesterday. His graduation from MCT is today - then bus to Raliegh and fly to Los Angeles and bus to 29 Palms for job school. He later texted me the weather forecast - 72 and sunny!

He said he had a great time at Lejeune.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Finally, there is some worry over the direction our CINC will take this nation. I can only hope and pray that he will admit his limitations in this area and listen to the professionals.

Fear not-this is not a slight against the new POTUS but this course was pre-ordained and will be driven by necessity. There will be tragic and unnecessary losses but these are part and parcel of any such undertaking rather than a side effect of Presidential interference. We have finally begun to keep the politicians from attempting to soldier. For what it's worth, the Generals and what not have finally started to get the knack of prosecuting this war (the Marines anyway) and will not let something as trivial as an elected leader get in their way. They are pulling the strings here.

Congratulations and Semper Fi to your new Marine.

Field Radio Operator.

Story in this morning's paper says his unit is to deploy to the ME in May. We knew this had been rumored for a while. If his job school picks up right away, he should finish by the end of April. Looks to me like he's going to go.

I'll talk with his recruiter today and see what he can find out for me. Here's the story.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Deta...EPAGE&ID=67132
    My youngest is a Field Radio Operator too. I hope he gets picked up right away or he might come back home all tattooed up...lol lol Not much to do out there. If he wants a tat, let me know and I will get the address to the place I took my son. It was clean and they were great. We went to a couple and some of them were nasty! Spent quite a few weekends out there and did everything in the area possible. Good times for sure.

I wish him a safe journey to Cali. Congrats to him!

Good grief. He done bought a motorcycle (down payment and put it on layaway). Now you're talking about tattoos? Whatever.

UPDATE: He called at 1100 hrs sitting on the bus for RDU. Hung up quickly when they brought lunch onto the bus.

Credits
    Savings
    He won't pickup at school immediately unless things have changed since I've left. He will be in reception for a few days before B Co picks them up. He might end up in Marines Awaiting Training Platoon, usually referred to as MAT, for a while.

Advise that he doesn't buy anything that he can't take on the plane when he departs. Marines in B Co won't have TMO to move them when they finish school.

Boot Camp Bravo, I remember that company. Back when I was in Radio Op school, our instructors treated us like 4th phase recruits... I wonder if that changed.... Anyways, sure hope he likes sprinting up Sugar Cookie Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by marinemama View Post
    sure.

I wish him a safe journey to Cali. Congrats to him!
    My reply (whatever) sounds dismissive. It was not meant to be. He surprised me once by mentioning he was thinking about a tat. I was surprised because he has never been one to follow the herd. But, I do not have to approve or even like it.

Isn't there a regulation that tattoos must not be visible?

My reply (whatever) sounds dismissive. It was not meant to be. He surprised me once by mentioning he was thinking about a tat. I was surprised because he has never been one to follow the herd. But, I do not have to approve or even like it.

Isn't there a regulation that tattoos must not be visible?
    I thought there was something about visible tattoos, but I know some of the Marines in my son's units have gotten them on forearms and such...so I am not sure. The few that mine have gotten when they were home last, are where they can't be seen. I think it hurts them more when they get more rank and are looking to do other jobs, such as Recruiting, that get them in to trouble and with promotions.

I didn't think you dismissed me with your 'whatever'...no worries...I just didn't think you wanted him to get any. At least when I go with them, I know the place is clean and they won't get a woman's name or something they will regret...that is my reasoning behind it anyway.

Hope he is there and all checked in. Mine didn't pick up right away and ended up in MAT Platoon...they can really clean ....he enjoyed it, made a lot of nice friends there. OMG! the Sugar Cookie is awful!

The new tattoo policy is nothing that can be visible beyond the khaki short sleeve shirt.

No tattoos can be visible in green-on-green (PT gear). If he decides to go ahead and get a tattoo that is visible in PT gear, he could get NJP.

I am pretty sure he knows the policy. You know, tattoos have become so common that it's cooler not to have them. But, what do I know about cool?

So, yes. He's settling in. I had to tell him to quit texting me (he has unlimited - I have to pay) and just call (unlimited minutes). That (texting) is another incomprehensible thing. He knows he has some lag time until his class picks up - I guess he will get a date at some point?

Still happy for him - proud of what he has done and will do.

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    The new tattoo policy is nothing that can be visible beyond the khaki short sleeve shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    No tattoos can be visible in green-on-green (PT gear). If he decides to go ahead and get a tattoo that is visible in PT gear, he could get NJP.

That is not true at all. You both need to check your facts before posting information because you are both wrong.

The order reads,

MARADMIN 198/07:

"NO TATTOOS OR BRANDS ON THE HEAD AND NECK. SLEEVE TATTOOS ARE LIKEWISE PROHIBITED. A SLEEVE TATTOO IS A VERY LARGE TATTOO, OR A COLLECTION OF SMALLER TATTOOS, THAT COVERS OR ALMOST COVERS A PERSON S ENTIRE ARM OR LEG. HALF-SLEEVE OR QUARTER-SLEEVE TATTOOS THAT ARE VISIBLE TO THE EYE WHEN WEARING STANDARD PT GEAR (T-SHIRT AND SHORTS) ARE LIKEWISE PROHIBITED. A HALF-SLEEVE OR QUARTER-SLEEVE TATTOO IS DEFINED AS A VERY LARGE TATTOO, OR A COLLECTION OF SMALLER TATTOOS THAT COVERS, OR ALMOST COVERS, THE ENTIRE PORTION OF AN ARM OR LEG ABOVE OR BELOW THE ELBOW OR KNEE."

There is nothing in the order that states you can't have one or two tattoo's below the sleeve of your PT Shirt.

Giveen, Khaki shirts aren't mentioned anywhere in the order so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but it's not corrrect either.

Bottom line is, one or two tattoo's below the sleeve line are acceptable as long as they don't take up a large amount of the visible space. If you do get tattoo's there, they need to be documented so that your command is aware and it doesn't hinder you when you go up for promotion.

Thread Information