Recruit dad here - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    I read on another board that recruits are asking their Mamas to send them hand, foot (and toe?) warmers. That sounds strange to me. I guess I would try to do it, if mine asked (he hasn't).

But, it seems to me that they should be going on what the Corps gives them.
    Thats strange that would have to be one of the last items I would ever need in boot camp.

Down to the short rows...

That's an old expression related to hoeing in the corn ot tobacco fields around here. I've gone from counting the weeks, to counting days, to counting the hours. Crucible is coming up.

He will be great! He has made it this far, you might as well get your suitcase out and start packing. Fingers and toes crossed and prayers being sent to them all.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The grad ceremony was great,but i liked the moto run the best.didnt know whether to laugh or cry probably did both.damn i was proud,still am!
    keith

The Crucible begins

I woke up at 0200 - the time the initial hump is supposed to begin. After realizing that and sending up a brief prayer, I wondered if I would get back to sleep or would I lie there and worry? I went back to sleep.

My recruit is as ready as ready can be, based on who he is and what has happened so far. I believe he knows something of what's before him; but, he also has the maturity to take it as it comes. I had to live a long time to get to that place.

I'm sure he'll do fine. No point in losing sleep over it because you can't make anything happen where you're at. Just pray for the best and wait to hear from him. He'll be pretty busy over the next couple days because after the Crucible, they'll have to spend a day cleaning weapons and get ready for their upcoming inspections and final drill.

He's in good hands

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Prayers outbound for a safe return from the Crucible!

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    I'm sure he'll do fine. No point in losing sleep over it because you can't make anything happen where you're at.
    I'm not losing sleep - I usually wake up every night at some point. By my clock, they're halfway through. I'm remembering when he was about 16, he would climb out his upstairs bedroom window to a roof and then jump to the ground. When I asked him why he did such a thing, he said, "It's fun."

I believe he's having a LOT of fun now!

I don't know if "fun" is the correct word there but he's certainly being challenged like never before.

The Drill Instructors on the other hand are having lots of that "fun".

Getting cars on base

This one just occurred to me. My family is coming in three separate vehicles. Now, I received a pass from my son; but are other cars admitted if they just show up at the gate? Or are we all going to need to cram into one vehicle? There's eight of us and most all are full grown!

Have y'all noticed it's a full moon tonight?

We didn't get a pass before hand, not sure if something has changed since last May or just because it is a different base. So, I will tell you what happened in May at MCRD SD. I would think since you can invite as many people as you want, all you will need is your correct documentation....ie..current insurance, ID's, current registration and everyone has to have a seatbelt. If it is a rental car, just your ID and the rental car documents. When we went, we had two cars and we all had to get out, open all the compartments, trunk, hood, and all the doors for them to have a look. It was easy and painless. It was like going on any other time, just more people looking lost.

Bet you are getting really excited! Can't wait to see your pics!

Thanks for that Mama. Sounds right and I am going to check with the recruiter tomorrow. We are definitely ready to go!

I got the word elsewhere to my question on getting additional vehicles on base. Now, just counting the hours to DEP for PI. Wednesday - hopefully by 1000 hrs.

We have a second son whom we adopted from Kanchatka twelve years ago. Used to, when we were planning something for several days in advance, he would ask "How many sleeps is that?"

Well, we're down to two sleeps before we go.

Back home with Marine on board

Fantastic experience on the island, even with the chilly temps. Graduation was moved inside. The new Marine has left this morning for a poolee function. I'll see about posting a pic or two later on.

Thread Information